China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brilliance 1.8T engine

Brilliance held a ceremony on Monday for the launch of it's new 1.8 turbo engine, the first Chinese turbo intercooled gasoline engine to go into production, designed by FEV of Germany.

125KW (5500rpm), 235 Nm Torque. Euro 4 emission level ( current level used in Europe and good enough for US I believe).

It will be going in the M2 and M1 sedans, with auto transmission at first, and then later (I think maybe end this year or early next year) with a manual transmission. M2 GT version will have a 6 speed manual transmission.

Normally aspirated variants of the engine will follow, including 2.0, 1.8, 1.6 and possibly 1.4).

I might be getting some pics later, but I expect someone can find them on chinese internet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
fightingtorque said:
125KW (5500rpm), 235 Nm Torque.
So this would be around 167hp and 173 lb ft. of torque
here's a comparison for reference:
http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...02435&v=t100945&v=t101595&v=t101424&v=t102478

fightingtorque said:
It will be going in the M2 and M1 sedans, with auto transmission at first, and then later (I think maybe end this year or early next year) with a manual transmission. M2 GT version will have a 6 speed manual transmission.
On www.fightingtorque.com you stated that you have your eye on the Brillance JinJue with the new 1.8t, well I am looking forward to seeing the fightingtorque version of the M2 GT

fightingtorque said:
Normally aspirated variants of the engine will follow, including 2.0, 1.8, 1.6 and possibly 1.4).
When will Brilliance introduce larger six and eight cylinder engines?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oooh, with that type of engine the M2 would do superbly in the US market. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics from somone.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That 'tinfoil thing' is a heatshiled. It's made from a specially formed type of coated aluminium which has extremely good properties in terms of heat control, noise reduction, very light weight and excellent formability.

The material is a patented product of Federal-Mogul Corporation, one of the world's leading auto component suppliers. It is a relatively new but fast growing product line from them. This, and a couple of other heat shield materials they have in the portfolio are helping to reduce the number of components and weight of heat shielding whilst at the same time improving noise reduction.

The heatshield mountings are also rather clever.

That particular one is a pre production part from prototype tooling, it may be that the production one will look slightly better.

I'll go back under my stone now. Sorry for the outburst.

·
Registered
561 Posts
fightingtorque said:
That 'tinfoil thing' is a heatshiled. It's made from a specially formed type of coated aluminium which has extremely good properties in terms of heat control, noise reduction, very light weight and excellent formability.

The material is a patented product of Federal-Mogul Corporation, one of the world's leading auto component suppliers. It is a relatively new but fast growing product line from them. This, and a couple of other heat shield materials they have in the portfolio are helping to reduce the number of components and weight of heat shielding whilst at the same time improving noise reduction.

The heatshield mountings are also rather clever.

That particular one is a pre production part from prototype tooling, it may be that the production one will look slightly better.

I'll go back under my stone now. Sorry for the outburst.
fine i would start calling it a high tech heat sink.

·
Registered
65 Posts
gr8 said:
fine i would start calling it a high tech heat sink.
Technically, it's a heat shield and not a heat sink. A heat sink transfers heat; what they're trying to do here is insulate the engine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right. I just felt I'd probably gone on enough about heat shields already. The heat shield needs to combine high reflectivity on the 'hot side' with good insulating properties (i.e. limited conductivity), and finally low emissivity on the 'cold' side. In practice the key is the high reflectivity of the hot side, whilst still having light weight and easy formability to make the right shape with the minimum number of parts - in this case it is quite a complex shape to envelop the entire exhaust manifold, turbo and catalytic converter with a single piece of material.

Still looks (a bit) like shit though.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
looks fragile

The point here is to keep the high exhaust manifold heat from radiating into the engine compartment and beyond (like into the cooling system and the hands of the poor mechanic). Especially during engine starting after a cold soak, it's important not to let the heat escape. The quicker the electronics system goes into closed loop the better for controlling emissions. The catalytic converter can't begin to work until its temp is about 700C.

This corrugated design looks like a light gauge material and rather flimsy but then again the photo could be deceiving.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a light gauge material, but the corrugation gives it the necessary strength.

http://www.aerotecheng.com/ has quite a good description of the materials, even though the product in this case is supplied directly by Federal-Mogul. Just that Federal-Mogul's website has almost no details of the materials.

I think this heat shield is made using 'nimbus lite' but it might be cirrus. It isn't nimbus 2.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
first home-made turbo-charged car in China

Source: Xinhuanet

03-20-2007 09:17

The first China-developed turbo-charged car, produced by Brilliance Auto Group, made its debut Sunday, China Securities News reported Monday.
Turbocharger can increase engine power by 30 percent or more at a given emission compared with normal engines, which gives it advantages of being small, energy-saving and environment-friendly.
The group introduced the engine last June and announced it would use it in its new model Galena.
The 1.8T models are priced ranging from 125,800 yuan to 199,800 yuan while imported cars with this type of engines usually cost over 180,000 yuan.
The group plans to produce 50,000 such engines in 2008 and 100,000 in 2010, it said.
Brilliance Auto, based in Shenyang, capital of Liaoning Province in northeast China,sold some 210,000 cars in 2006, ranking the 9th by sales volume among auto manufacturers in China.

·
Registered
561 Posts
you think i can only buy the turbo? turbos are so expensive, i dont understand its just a piece of steel with some fans on it with pipes how can it cost so much?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Many factors contribute to the high price of a turbo system. Some of which are:

Low production volume.
Exotic materials (needed for extreme high temperature and ultra high speed, all in a dirty environment).
Difficulty in design & manufacturing (it take an extremely high precision and rigorous quality control to consistently make something that lasts more than 100,000 miles.)
Increased complexity in overall manufacturing (for example, now it takes longer to put the engine and the whole car together.)
Increased in cost of other components to accomodate the turbo system - the pistons, for example, now need to be stronger, extra cooling system may be needed to counter the added heat, stronger engine block and head, intercooler system, etc. etc.
Sales and marketing - "Turbo's" usually are marketed as a premium option and command a higher sales profit margin.

In most cases it's cheaper to make a V6 than a I4 turbo of the same power, with a smoother and quieter power output at that. I4 turbo has the advantages in weight, packaging, fuel efficiency (sometimes), and "cheaper" in the case that one has the capability to make I4's but not V6's, and/or the existing car chasis won't take a V6 but and I4 turbo would do. (Government regulation on engine size is a factor too.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts