China Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
KING_OF_HILL said:
Can't agree with you more on that! :thumb:
I AGREE COMPLETELY.

Koreans are the most superficial, shallow, simple minded people on earth. They are all about image and no content. That's why despite their obnoxious personality and constant ranting about their "superiority" (which is quite laughable considering they have always been the runt nation amongst East Asians), they NEVER buy their own brand of cars when given a choice. I live in California, and in both the bay area and LA, which have HUGE numbers of Koreans, I have ONLY ONCE met a Korean who bought a Korean brand car, a Hyundai. ONLY ONCE. The vast majority buy Japanese cars because they are image conscious and they don't want to be personally associated with the poor brand image of Hyundai. That's exactly how superficial they are.

Also, if you notice how Koreans constantly talk about their "superiority", they will constantly harp on how good looking they are. This is pure BS. There are a few good looking Koreans, but the vast majority are plain to ugly, and when they are ugly, they REALLY FUCKING UGLY. I mean, seriously deformed features. Because I am tall, muscular and handsome, Koreans are constantly coming up to me and saying, wow, you look Korean. I don't take it as a compliment. I tell them, NO, I look Chinese. Don't tell me I look Korean when most of them are a half foot shorter than me, while when I've been to parts of Northern China my 6'2 frame was about average compared to all the tall people around me.

One thing about Koreans, they are as obnoxious as possible, and even though they keep repping about their superiority, they suffer from a deep inferiority complex. Which is why Korean Americans NEVER BUY HYUNDAIS. In the end, their insecurities and need to have a good image wins out over their stupid superficial pride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I actually bought my first car off a Korean couple.
It was a Ford Taurus.
I hadn't got my driver's license back then, so they were kind enough to drop off the car at my apartment and drove back in their Grand Cherokee.
When I asked them which car they liked most, the answer was Hyundai Sonata.
I didn't spot that car in their garage though.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
edge said:
Koreans are the most superficial, shallow, simple minded people on earth.
Can you be a little less racist, that was rude. I'm sure you've never
been to Korea, and stereotypes aren't always true.
they NEVER buy their own brand of cars when given a choice. I live in California, and in both the bay area and LA, which have HUGE numbers of Koreans, I have ONLY ONCE met a Korean who bought a Korean brand car, a Hyundai. ONLY ONCE. The vast majority buy Japanese cars because they are image conscious and they don't want to be personally associated with the poor brand image of Hyundai. That's exactly how superficial they are.
In Korea, Korean cars have over 90% market share. (Lexus was the top
importer with about 6000-7000 cars sold).

·
Registered
280 Posts
The only reason why Korean cars completely dominant their domestic market is because the Korean govt. SHUTS OFF foreign competition and foreign brands. Maybe in recent years, they have allowed a trickle of foreign brands into the country, but Korea is nowhere as open as China is when it comes to trade and investment.

Seems you have a problem when people respond with fire to that crackhead, but you don't have a problem with him leaving racist comments on every corner of this board.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't see why they have to fight head on this extremely competitive market.
It's not like everyone in the USA is rich, or likes luxury. For one, it's not me. I
say bring a simple design, preferably a van under $15k, that works and lasts.

There are millions of people just surviving (many of them illegal immigrants).
For them paying extra for things like leather interior is just plain dumb. But if
they can go to a junk yard, and unbolt some mechanical component in case it
fails - that's a huge advantage.

Face it, those with money will never opt for a Chinese luxury car - they are in
general conservative people, with appreciation for value. It's the indigent who
are prone to taking chances, and this is where Chinese cars should belong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Excuse me, Dragin, what do you mean hot? Cute? Then it is exactly what I
do not need. My 89 Toyota Van LE looks like a brick, according to my wife,
but it has 283k trouble free miles, and I always use cheap spare parts. And
every time I pull next to some pretty american made pickup truck or van my
face gets a sly smile, because they are all just grossly uncompetitive.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
SGM Wuling grew by more than 35% last year. That subsidiary 0f SGM produced more than half of SGM's 2006 total sales. They are being exported to India, Indonesia, the Mideast and South America so far.
Have a look at the website: www.sgmw.com.cn

Cheap spare parts for a Toyota.....that almost seems too good to believe......they must be made in China

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
edge said:
The only reason why Korean cars completely dominant their domestic market is because the Korean govt. SHUTS OFF foreign competition and foreign brands. Maybe in recent years, they have allowed a trickle of foreign brands into the country, but Korea is nowhere as open as China is when it comes to trade and investment.
Actually there was a news article on Chinese newspapers about 10 Chinese misconception of the world early this year in hopes of broadening average Chinese's understanding of the outside of the world, and the very misconception abut Korean auto market was discussed.

Obviously, Korean auto indutry is much more wide open to foreigners than China, 4 out of 5 auto manufacturers in Korea are foreign owned(GM, Renault, SAIC, and Tata), the import tariff is only 10%(same as Europe), and there is no restriction on foreign ownership of automobile and auto parts makers. Even worse, turn on the TV and nobody drives around in Korean brand cars anymore.

The reason foreign brands do poorly against Hyundai/Kia is that their offerings are not competitive. Only two mass-market auto manufacturers in the world put out higher quality vehicles than Hyundai does for the moment, Toyota and Honda. But these two don't want to price compete in Korea, so these customers really don't have a choice. You cannot find a foreign brand vehicle with better quality and the tight service network at a price premium of say 15%, so they are back to Hyundai/Kia showroom every time.

Tata and Briliance tried to sell Indica and Zhonghua, but they gave up after figuring out that they couldn't undercut Hyundai's prices by more than $1000~$2000.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
who does Tata own?
Daewoo's mid-heavy truck/tractor business.

Tata does have a distribution network in Korea and this is why Tata tried to distribute Indica in Korea, but gave up because Indica was not competitive enough.

The reason for Brilliance's North Korean factory is not to serve North Korea, but to ship BS4 and BS6 to Korea since anything made in North Korea is considered domestically manufactured in the south and are exempt from import tariff. Even with this, Brilliance's calculations showed they still couldn't compete with present models.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Brilliance Auto Aims to Land in North America by End of Year

There has been no shortage of news relating to the Chinese auto industryas of late. There's a lot of buzz regarding Buick, BMW and Audi and their displays at the Shanghai International Auto Show, not to mention the many domestic market debuts, but the question we all want to know is which Chinese automaker is going to be the first to break into North America, and whether or not that company might be Chery due to its relationship with Chrysler Group (Chery is building Chrysler's upcoming B-segment car).

It now appears that a new player is serious about the North American market, and it's not industry giants SAIC and FAW, nor is it Geely which showcased one of its cars at Detroit a couple of years ago. The manufacturer that's stepping up to the plate is Brilliance, and according to a recent report they're going to be doing it with the BS4 and BS6 sedans.

Brilliance might not be China's largest automaker, but it has landed some very important firsts. For instance, it built the first mass-produced Chinese passenger car endowed with its own intellectualproperty rights; prior to that Chinese automakers licensed (or ripped off) generic clones. From there, Brilliance became the first Chinese automaker to design and build a car to be sold in Europe, which took place in 2006. It only makes sense that North America is next.

The sedans that Brilliance intends on shipping to America were developed in collaboration with some of the best parts and skills suppliers in the industry. Giugiaro and Italdesign contributed to the look of the body, which while a little anonymous looks handsome and sophisticated enough. As a consultant, Porsche worked on chassis dynamics, tuning ride and handling, while Mitsubishi backed the project by providing 2.0- and 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engines.

As an assembly partner to BMW for Chinese-market products, the Bavarian firm also providedexpertise in quality control to bring Brilliance's initial perceived quality up a notch or two. It's worth noting that the Chinese-market MINI and 3-Series are built by Brilliance too, so we've got high hopes for the interior and quality of the BS4/6.

From what we know, the German media that have driven the BS6 praised it for being a good high-speed cruising vehicle, thanks to its advanced five-link rear suspension with passive rear-wheel steering.

According to Brilliance's president, Zhigang Liu, the BS6 is schedule to arrive not by 2012, or 2010, but by the end of this year. If it fails to hit the market within the next eight months, it'll be in early 2008, which is remarkably quick given that the company only announced its intentions recently.

Chery, SAIC, FAW, Geely and others might want to take note, as there may be some benefit to arriving in North America first. Then again, larger Chinese automakers may be hoping that a smaller firm like Brilliance will take any initial criticism North American auto journalists and analysts have to dish out, so that they can slide through the back door on a more solid footing.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think Nanjing is aiming to be in the USA in 2008 with MG....

I really don't think it matters who gets there first, it's what impression they create when they get there. Brilliance got wripped apart by the German and UK press when they launched there and although the US can be less demanding I still think this is a big ask for them. Their cars simply aren't good enough yet.

Just compare the Zhongua to the MG 7 from Nanjing. The MG is acceptable to the USA because the fit and finish is excellent and it has a great brand. Brilliance has neither. Develop some decent models first before trying this.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Korean market only opened up after domestic makers such as Hyundai fully saturated and entrenched the market, where outsiders will have a hard time getting in - very much like what Japan did.

At one point, Korea cars dominate some 98% of the market. Due to international pressure, Korea is now more open (in order to export, it must import. Still, export greatly exceed import, by a huge margin.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
...Even worse, turn on the TV and nobody drives around in Korean brand cars anymore.
koreans are extremly narrow-minded, you don't need to run ads on TV everyday to remind them, they grow up in a culture that is extremly narrow-minded and resistis everything/everyone foreign.

Real_I_Hate_China said:
..Only two mass-market auto manufacturers in the world put out higher quality vehicles than Hyundai does for the moment, Toyota and Honda.
There is nothing high quality about hundai/kie, they are mediocre at the best. Only koreans think they are actually making something durable, another example how narrow their view is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the culture may have played a big part here. Heard that in Korea, seniority is such a big deal that you should not out-drive your boss, or anyone with a higher position in your work, etc. For example, when your supervisor drives a Sonata, you better get yourself a Elantra or something like that.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts