China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
i can almost see jeremy clarkson driving this car, and complaining about every single detail and ending it by smashing it into pieces. :( Zhonghua in europe may not be a nice story.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Daewoo Chev,
Thanks for the great photos. They do indeed tell a story about the challenges ahead for Brilliance. But then again Rome wasn't built in a day......

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why not pay a western engineering company to design the car and just make it in China? Brilliance are only damaging themselves by selling this car in Europe...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm sure not every car that is currently being sold in the EU market, got a 5 star rating. I'm even more sure that not every car in the 2nd hand car business, got a 5 star rating. Given the low price and low volume Brilliance is shooting for, there will be takers.

In business, there are certain decisions you gotta make. I'm sure, had Brilliance had the choice, they'd invest billions of dollars and take 5 years more time, to come up with a true world class car, before they enter the EU market. But no one has that kind of money and time (and confidence). So they're entering the EU market first with an okay car; not great, just okay. To test the market, make improvements, make a little bit of money (at least help finance the debts), then get better and better on the next waves of cars. It's a very sound strategy to me - for you can't learn very much until you jump in and get the feet wet, yes?

By the time Brilliance get to the US market, they'd be ready. Without this EU experience, they never will.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In just a decade we will see them how we want to see them at the time being ,I guess.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Two stars is not good but it's not entirely bad either. In early 2000 some European cars of this size also got only two or three stars. This is a humble start for Brilliance but someday they will be at the top.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well also consider that the car is based on a design from 2000, so ofcourse it cannot compete with current EU models.

The press makes it sound like it was 'designed for the EU market' but that's just nonsense. The original M1 has been on sale in China since 2001.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
brilliance crash tests

No Chinese car has ever been tested by EuroNCAP.
EuroNCAP is a private European consumer organisation, it has nothing to do with the requirements for a European approval.

For a European approval, a car must pass the EU-Norm ECE-R 94. This test is much more simple than the EuroNCAP test.
Landwind passed the ECE-R 94, Brilliance BS6 too.
There are no stars given by the ECE-R 94.

Two consumer organisations, ADAC and ANWB, have tested the Landwind according the EuroNCAP norms. This is the famous Landwind video, showing the disastrous result. They couldn't give any points, while the test was incomplete.
A Russian organisation tested the Chery QQ according the EuroNCAP norms. The result was also rather disastrous.
The Tianjin institute CATARC has tested the GreatWall Hover according EuroNCAP. CATARC stated that the Hover earned four stars.

EuroNCAP tested a lot of cars, but not all the cars for sale in Europe. An example is the Landrover Defender, which was never tested, but anyone who sees the design can understand that it would get not any stars.
Recent bad results are: the Chevrolet (Daewoo) Aveo: 1 star, the Chevrolet Matiz: 2 stars and the Chrysler Voyager (1 star).

About mgrovernuts question: why sell the Brilliance in Europe: it is not the Chinese who are eager to sell their cars in Europe. It is the European car importers who come to China to look for cars they can sell in Europe. And of course, the Chinese are happy to sell. That is the relationship between HSO and Brilliance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have summarized it very well.Not only EU or the USA,but also from some rich Arabic countries,like Katar or UAE,you can see how eager some importers are to sell chinese cars there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's another of those puzzling questions: why hasn't NCAP tested the Renault Twingo ??? That tin can has been on sale for almost 15 years and is the only Renault that has never been tested.
I smell politics.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brilliance BS6 in 'EURONCAP' test : 1 Star

German ADAC and dutch ANWB motoring organisations are always looking forward to spill some fresh chinese blood, so they went out to test the BS6 in their own test centre in Germany.

Unfortunately the result is really, really bad. I expected it to perform better. The car is totally crushed (obviously) because it's too weak. It's quite possible that the Chery A5 performs better.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft_l...lide_01.asp?ComponentID=186689&SourcePageID=0

Click the "weiter" for the next picture.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft_l...onentID=187105&SourcePageID=20057&location=32

The details:
64km/h 40% offset test at NCAP specs
Originally 2stars, but 1 star removed because of the even worse side crash test.
Brilliance employees were present at the test and were given a lot of advice.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts