China Car Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't see why people are so hung up on crash tests - I'm sorry, I just don't buy a car to crash it. Being a good and safe driver and properly maintain your car trumps all other factors when it comes to safety.

I know it sounds weird, but if safety is all that important, then don't drive. Just stay home. You get 100 stars for staying home. Don't even go outside, because walking will get you 0.0003 stars. Running gets 0.0002 stars. Riding a bike? 0.0000001 stars. Don't get me going on roller skates...

Seriously now - for the price of a BS6, you can either buy a brand new BS6, a smaller new car, or an older used car. I highly doubt the smaller new cars and older used cars are any safer than the BS6. So what is all the hoopla about?!????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Point taken.

But when I shop for a car, I usually look for three of the following four things: safety, quality/reliability, whether it's fun-to-drive, and its fuel economy. If three of the four things are there, I can ignore the lack of the fourth. In fact, that's why I'm not happy with my current car. My Buick gets 29 mpg (great for a large car) and is pretty safe. But it isn't fun to drive and it's been unreliable. This is why safety should be a pretty big concern for the chinese auto industry; they're already fighting against poor quality, whether real or pre-supposed. Given the success by Brilliance in improving the BS6 in such a short period of time I'd say that's where their focus should be, for now.

·
Registered
938 Posts
it's impossible to change so many things on car so fast, that raise doubt at adac test, because i read in report that car have over 70 changes,and when i was i china i alreday drive the model for which they told me that he had 3 stars and new interior,also another thing...if is the car homologated and acchive one star....they can't homologate another car for just 3 monts!!1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe they used higher strength steel in the parts that gave way in the first test (a pillar and footwell). If you prevent the screen pillar from collapsing you've already made a big improvement.

·
Registered
938 Posts
yes, ok...but if they change anything...the weight(kg) of the car wount be the same, and if you change any part of the car it must be homolgated, i have the simmiler situation with Hover here in Croatia, we change the cargo box..and then we must do the homolgation as that and sold wehicles like that

·
Registered
99 Posts
The test has nothing to do with homologation. Test first, homologate later. It was critical to show a major improvement at/before the show. And maybe they were already panning the improvements?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The president of Brilliance Auto said in ADAC test the score was 12 (or some other number), which is qualified as 2-star, but somehow ADAC announced 1-star eventually.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shame the interior is a sloppy mess, the price too high, the brand is unknown and most new EU/ JAP cars now get 4 out of 5. Other than that it's a winnner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brilliance is hiring some suppliers and experts to ensure that the USA models make at least 4 stars. Doesn't seem likely but thats what they claim it will make in the USA. Supposedly China Car USA is wanting to make sure it's safe. They might bring these made for USA versions by the end of 08. Early 09 is when they will have full inventory. All models except the BS2.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well it eventually made it to 3 stars in just 79 days in the Euro Ncap, so I don't see why they cannot make it 4 stars in the US crash test in late 08 or early 09.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a fan of Brilliance, I must say that the results of the initial crash tests were very disappointing.

What is even more disappointing though, is the excuses offered by many posters as to how "it is good enough", when compared against other cars with similarly poor crashtests, which are currently being sold in Europe.

Certainly, this can not be the right attitude in addressing the problem. There is no doubt that Brilliance has a considerable amount of work to do in order to meet current and future European/US standards. The key is to look at ways to actually do this, and not make up excuses for while a currently poorly-designed product is good enough. Why is it that the BMW's manufactured by Brilliance in the same factory have no problem meeting international standards?

I would certainly be interested in purchasing a Chinese car in the future, but would not consider it if it meant a significant compromise on quality, regardless of price.

Too often, Chinese products compete internationally on price alone, sometimes at the expense of quality. This is not the way to build a credible brand.

How often do we hear stories (often exaggerated stories) of superior quality control by Japanese and German companies? Clearly, Toyota and Honda are better at marketing their products, even if the claims of superior quality is not always true. However, what is true is that these companies understand that in order to compete internationally, they must strive to be the best... It is not enough to claim that there are weaker contenders in the same market.

A good example of this is Hyundai. In the 1980s, their products were mocked as being inferior by design. Through successive generations of hard work, the current offerings from this Korean company are on par with many of the best from Japan. Certainly, this was not done with a "good enough" attitude, but with a clear understanding that survival depends on striving for the best.

For a company name Zhonghua, which carries the very name of the country which it purports to represent, I would genuinely hope that they address their current deficiencies, rather than making excuses.

In this regard, I would say that both Roewe and Chery are doing a better job, as their current offerings come considerably closer to world standards for quality.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.