China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Byd F1

For those that are interested, I found this link for the F1 on the BYD website IN ENGLISH! A few more pics AND a specs page........check it out. ALSO, elsewhere on the website (in the news section), I read that BYD is planning on officially introducing the F1 in April (I assume the Beijing auto show) and going on sale soon after that. A few things I noticed in the interior pic -

No locking glove box (but there IS a passenger airbag)
Manually adjustable mirrors (cost cutting decision I assume)

I ALSO noticed that in the specs page, the fuel tank is only 30l (about 7.5 US gallons) in size......but it DOES get 4.2l per 100km in fuel economy - which still gives you up to 700km on a single tank of gas (mighty impressive if true). Anyway, here is the link -

http://www.byd.com/f1/f1exterior.asp?show=f1&color=b

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Byd F0 (former F1)

Uh............the Panda is not really a copy. Similarities? Yes, but that's it. Have you seen the F0 or the Panda in person? I have - the Panda has a completely different front, different style tail lamps in the rear, the interior is not even close...........give Geely some credit. Now, the F0 IS a clone of the Aygo, no doubt about that - but the Panda is trying to carve it's own niche.....and the upcoming Panda crossover is actually a cool little car!!

·
Registered
305 Posts

Uh........................Toyota is VERY well represented in China. Toyota has chosen to not sell the Aygo in China (for whatever reason), so their smallest car here is the Yaris. I'm VERY surprised actually, that Toyota has not taken any legal action (that I know of) regarding the F0 and F3, as well as the Great Wall Florid and Coolbear (Scion clones). Back to the F0..............I'm not very impressed with it. Outside, it looks great..........but once you open the door and sit inside you see where BYD cut corners to save money and keep the car cheap to buy. For the same price, you can get a Geely Panda that is MUCH better on the inside, better quality overall (in my opinion) and the upcoming Panda crossover looks fantastic!

·
Registered
305 Posts

Well...............marketing trends in the past did tend to gravitate towards one design in one area and another design in another - due mainly to the different driving styles of different areas. America has a different driving style than other areas because of it's many wide open spaces and america's love (traditionally) for big cars and big engines. Europe (and many parts of Asia) prefers smaller, more fuel efficient cars overall, and with China in particular the government here is strongly promoting the sales of compact and subcompact cars. Because of rising oil prices and the awareness of global warming, marketing trends are becoming more unified world-wide. America, for example will start getting the ultra small cars that Europe and Asia has enjoyed for awhile now, and more and more new models are becoming "world" cars (Chevy's Aveo debuted in China, but is sold all over the world - including America). The Aygo is another example.......built in the Czech republic, but available in Europe. I could easily see the Aygo ending up in the USA in the near future - a perfect commute car for busy american cities. Now, the BYD F0? In Europe or America? I HIGHLY doubt it. Since the Aygo (or it's sister models the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107) is not sold in China, I think Toyota is simply "taking the high road" and avoiding a legal hassle here in the courts. However, if the F0 were to attempt to enter the european (or american) market I think Toyota would stand up and say "Uh.....I don't think so." Besides, it would never sell - the Aygo is typical Toyota quality and durability (and damn stylish for what it is), whereas the F0 is a cheap copy - cute on the outside, dreary on the inside. Interior parts do not fit well together, the seats are uncomfortable, it just FEELS cheap. I expected it to be better - the BYD F3 is much better in terms of quality and I had expected the F0 to follow that trend.

TonyJZX, I'm curious - what chinese (if any) cars ARE available in your area of the world? I'm lucky - I live in China so I have the chance to actually see, touch and drive many of the cars that we discuss here on the forums! One of my next cars on the list (of cars to test drive) is the Panda.....I've seen them on the street but I've not been to the showroom yet to get up close and personal. I'll take some pics, and THEN we can really discuss how it stacks up against the F0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts