·
Administrator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't think so............

Wow, some pretty rare pics. I don't think that the F2 wagon or sedan ever saw the light of production........too bad, the sedan is much better looking than the Flyer EVER was. The F2 (Flyer) was BYD's first car to go into production, and for a few years there it was BYD's ONLY car available for sale. Many people thought at the time that BYD would never survive as a car company - then the F3 came long and the rest is history. Also, if you look at the plate number of the sedan, it denotes a pretty old license plate number from the Guangdong province (specifically from Shenzhen) - I'm guessing that the license plate was issued in 2001-2002, BEFORE BYD put the Flyer hatchback into production. It's interesting to see here that BYD had plans for a 'family' of F2's - hatch, sedan and wagon. You know, even though the Flyer was a BUTT ugly car, it offered some very unique features..........THREE different engine sizes (0.8, 1.0, 1.1l), ABS and airbags as options (5 years ago NO other small cars offered these options) AND..........a HUD (heads up display) option!!! That's right - you could actually get a HUD in a Flyer!!!! How many cars TODAY even offer that as a option???? Not many.

Cool pics, Martin - thanks for a little slice of chinese car history!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: Byd F2

Sorry to disturb your dreams, JMSteiny. These three vehicles were exhibited as concepts at the Beijing Motor Show 2004, together with the early F6 "BMW style" prototype and the ET electrical concept. At the stand BYD promised production of the F2 hatchback from the end of 2004, and the same for the EF3 sedan electric taxi. They didn't want to give a production date for the F4 wagon. The F2 hatchback was based on the Flyer, but bigger: wheelbase 2400 in stead of Flyer's 2300, LxWxH 3740x1645x1510 in stead of 3500x1445x1470. The F4 wagon was even bigger: wheelbase 2600, 4350x1690x1700. The EF3 was shown before the present F3 was existing, so at that time we thought that the F3 would have the same body (which was happy enough not the case). Greetings!

More pics of F4:
http://download.moon-soft.com/program/bbs/readelite1077490.htm

http://s2.mojalbum.com/4219952_17549020_19613683/avt018/19613683.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts

Well, if there is ANYONE who would really know what they're talking about, it's YOU Erik!! I humbly stand corrected............but there is still one thing that 'confuses' me. The license plate on the electric sedan (EF3) is still a pretty old number for a Shenzhen plate - issued well before 2004. Maybe they had this prototype up and running for a couple of years BEFORE the 2004 Beijing show? I am SO glad the F2 and the F4 wagon never made it to production - I've always been an advocate of the Flyer receiving an award for the "ugliest car in China".......and the F2 and F4 would have been right up there in contention for the award as well!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Yes JM Steiny, I think you are right about the EF3, probably they had it tested long before the Beijing Show. Martin's pictures are not taken at the Beijing 2004 Show, in Beijing I remember the cars entered with plastic wrapped around the wheels and the EF3 had definitely not a license plate..

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

But Laofan if BYD only purchased the Qinchuan company in early 2003 then how much testing could it have done before the 2004 show? Was BYD involved with vehicle development with Qinchuan before the purchase?
Back in 2001 I only remember Xi'an Qinchuan as being a one model company, i.e. the Flyer.
Another question....did Qinchuan build the Flyer on an Suzuki Alto platform?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Complicated, Dragon. I visited Qingchuan two times, in 1993 and in 2004 (June 1).
In 2004 they were broke and were just bought by BYD. They showed me only Flyers, including their original prototype and first production model. The earliest models were named Alto as they had no license to make a second car. Flyer was based on the Alto platform.
But I saw also dyes of the BYD 316, as the expected BYD F3 was named than. These were dyes for a petrol version of the ugly EF3. And brand new presses. They expected to produce the BYD 316 in 2005. Note that the car was not shown to the public at that moment. Happy enough it was never made and replaced by the present F3 Corolla type in November 2004.
The range of BYD concepts at the Beijing 2004 Show was impressive and not expected. I agree with you that some must have been developed before the take-over but it seems very clear that they are based on the Flyer. So I suppose there was earlier contact between Qinchuan and BYD. The BYD concepts were not in Xi'an when I was there, they were developed in a Shenzhen R&D studio even before the start of their production facility there.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Complicated indeed.
I too am amazed at what BYD did in the short time after takeover and leading up to that show.
I missed the 2004 show but got to see their display in Shanghai in 2005, a show where I looked for you but somehow missed you.
The cars on display in 2005 had serious flaws in the body sheet metal, and I even folllowed up by sending a few photos to them... to let them know that we are paying attention.:)
BYD has turned out to be an amazing outfit. They are now even supplying components and dyes to companies like GM and Nissan.
I understand that now production of models like the F6 dual mode has been moved down to Shenzhen.
Who knows, maybe the next step for production will be offshore.
I wonder if Suzuki now regrets not having gone for a full joint venture with Qinchuan and ultimately with BYD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts