China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't think so............

Wow, some pretty rare pics. I don't think that the F2 wagon or sedan ever saw the light of production........too bad, the sedan is much better looking than the Flyer EVER was. The F2 (Flyer) was BYD's first car to go into production, and for a few years there it was BYD's ONLY car available for sale. Many people thought at the time that BYD would never survive as a car company - then the F3 came long and the rest is history. Also, if you look at the plate number of the sedan, it denotes a pretty old license plate number from the Guangdong province (specifically from Shenzhen) - I'm guessing that the license plate was issued in 2001-2002, BEFORE BYD put the Flyer hatchback into production. It's interesting to see here that BYD had plans for a 'family' of F2's - hatch, sedan and wagon. You know, even though the Flyer was a BUTT ugly car, it offered some very unique features..........THREE different engine sizes (0.8, 1.0, 1.1l), ABS and airbags as options (5 years ago NO other small cars offered these options) AND..........a HUD (heads up display) option!!! That's right - you could actually get a HUD in a Flyer!!!! How many cars TODAY even offer that as a option???? Not many.

Cool pics, Martin - thanks for a little slice of chinese car history!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Byd F2

Well, if there is ANYONE who would really know what they're talking about, it's YOU Erik!! I humbly stand corrected............but there is still one thing that 'confuses' me. The license plate on the electric sedan (EF3) is still a pretty old number for a Shenzhen plate - issued well before 2004. Maybe they had this prototype up and running for a couple of years BEFORE the 2004 Beijing show? I am SO glad the F2 and the F4 wagon never made it to production - I've always been an advocate of the Flyer receiving an award for the "ugliest car in China".......and the F2 and F4 would have been right up there in contention for the award as well!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts