China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
The logo is blatant rip-off of the BMW logo. The front headlights are straight from the BMW. Even though I am a strong advocate towards piracy, I don't see how this looks like the 7-Series. The CEO is something I'm laughing about right now. They expect to get away with that design? Exterior is total BMW X5. The interior is also total BMW X5/Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. The logo is straightly Ssangyong. Do mind that Ssangyong was an independent company which retained the same logo from the start until it became a part of SAIC.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Agreed.......................

god_bless_japan said:
it looks like a chevrolet lacetti my colleague bought very recently

I'd have to see it with my own eyes, but it sure LOOKS like a Lacetti copy.........and we happen to already have that here (the Buick Excelle HRV - which is the Daewoo Lacetti). I COULD see GM sueing BYD the same way they sued Chery for the QQ..............but again, I'd have to see one for real. It's possible the front end is all different as well as the interior - but BYD is defintely walking on a thin line here when it comes to inspiration vs. plagarism.

·
Registered
481 Posts
good , than GM can sue for the rear , Toyota for the front , Honda for the rear of the Sedan version and Toyota again for the Interior :D

In fact BYD are alot smarter than the rest in copying , if they do copied elemets .. they shared lotsa stuff from many cars, the end product while LOOKS like other cars , its not by any means a mechanical replica , thus avoiding any legal cause , Although we all know in our heart its a copy :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
China: BYD to debut F3-R at Shanghai motor show; reveals future model plans

By Glenn Brooks12 April, 2007
Source: Automotive World
BYD Auto, one of China's largest privately-owned OEMs, has announced the F3-R, a five-door hatchback which will have its premiere at the Shanghai motor show on 20 April.

High-spec versions will be powered by a Mitsubishi 4G15S 1.5-litre I4 gasoline engine, with Delphi supplying the electronic injection management system.

"The model will be priced less than Yuan 100,000 (US$12,937) and we will offer two specifications with a Mitsubishi or an independently-developed engine," Xia Zhibing, the company's general manager of sales, said in a statement.

Xia added that BYD plans to produce and sell 300,000 vehicles in 2008 and 500,000 vehicles in 2009.

The F3-R's main rivals will be Shanghai Volkswagen's Polo Jinqing, Shanghai General Motors' Buick Excelle HRV and Dongfeng Motor's Nissan Tiida. The car is 4,325mm long, 1,460mm wide and 1,490mm high. The 2,600mm wheelbase is identical to that of the ninth generation Toyota Corolla, while the car's interior is strikingly similar to this model.

For 2006, BYD Group reported profits of Yuan 1.128 bn (US$145.92 million), up 113% year-on-year. It sold 63,153 units of its Toyota Vios-based F3 sedan, an almost five-fold gain over 2005.

As well as production versions of the F6 mid sized sedan and F8 convertible it has displayed at past Chinese motor shows, the Xi'an, Shaanxi-based OEM says it will announce details of three further models later this year, revealed only as the F2, F7 and F9 for now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
More info.......

Some more details about the F3-R.....................

There will be three different model levels........prices will be 68,800, 72,800 and 81,800rmb. I don't know the details about standard equipment, but I will assume the top model will include ABS and air bags (as with the 4 door F3). The engine is a 1.5 liter (it's a 1.6 in the 4 door) 16 valve engine with the same horsepower rating as the Excelle HRV (which has a 1.6 liter engine), and at least "on paper" the F3-R seems to have impressive gas mileage specs (4.7l/100km). As far as the pictures I've seen, the interior is fairly original (if somewhat plain and uninspired) but the exterior is a CLOSE to being a replica of the Excelle HRV (I doubt if GM will sue...........there are just enough differences to avoid legal action). The key here is going to be the reliability of the 1.5 Mitsubishi engine - if it holds up well I think BYD will have a sales success here. You have the flexibility of a 5 door hatchback with more room than the compact cars (i.e. QQ6, Peugeot 206, Xiali C1, etc....), a "proven" japanese engine, decent styling - at a VERY attractive price.

BYD might be borrowing a lot of styling cues from other cars (TOO much in my opinion), but the bottom line is this - BYD's sales numbers have gone up pretty fast (something like 65,000 F3's were sold in 2006) and this new model could easily be BYD's biggest success to date. If nothing else, this will have to be a car I put on my test drive list!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes they do...............

...............and I doubt they'll do anything about from a legal standpoint. Sure, it's REALLY close to the HRV in shape - but is it plagaristic ENOUGH to stand up in a court? I doubt it.........besides, if companies sued each other just for the SHAPE of a car, Honda would have sued Toyota by now (or the other way around) for the Toyonda Accamry!!

Just kidding there........but seriously, GM and Toyota know that this would most likely be a futile legal battle. Are they pissed? No doubt........the BEST they could hope for (and doubtful in this case) would be some kind of out of court settlement (similar to the settlement reached between GM and Chery involving the QQ) - I'm sure that GM and Toyota are considering their options but I doubt anything will happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.