China Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Is this the successor of the F6? Still a clone of the previous USDM Honda Accord/JDM Honda Inspire as the interior, doors and window lines shows up.
In my opinion BYD is one of the most overrated Chinese manufacturer as the e6 is apparently a crappy car: http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2009/09/wall_street_giv.html and all their cars are copies: The F0 is a clone of the Toyota Aygo, F3 and G3 of the previous Toyota Corolla, F6 and I6 of the previous Honda Accord, S8 probably of the Corolla with a Mercedes SL (front) and Renault Mégane CC (rear) look, the upcoming BYD M6 of the Toyota Estima, the upcoming F5 of the current Toyota Corolla and the S6 of the Toyota RAV4 with the looks from the previous generation Lexus RX.
I have much more respect for Chery, Geely, ChangAn, Jianghuai and Roewe/MG which come up with their own designs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Definately Camry/Aurion in the nose there. Otherwise, it's fine.
Is that the interior which will be on the production model or simply a test interior?

·
Registered
305 Posts
daewoo-chevrolet said:
Is this the successor of the F6? Still a clone of the previous USDM Honda Accord/JDM Honda Inspire as the interior, doors and window lines shows up.
In my opinion BYD is one of the most overrated Chinese manufacturer as the e6 is apparently a crappy car: http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2009/09/wall_street_giv.html and all their cars are copies: The F0 is a clone of the Toyota Aygo, F3 and G3 of the previous Toyota Corolla, F6 and I6 of the previous Honda Accord, S8 probably of the Corolla with a Mercedes SL (front) and Renault Mégane CC (rear) look, the upcoming BYD M6 of the Toyota Estima, the upcoming F5 of the current Toyota Corolla and the S6 of the Toyota RAV4 with the looks from the previous generation Lexus RX.
I have much more respect for Chery, Geely, ChangAn, Jianghuai and Roewe/MG which come up with their own designs.

Daewoo, I agree with you on some things here.........but I don't understand your criticism of the E6. First of all, the E6 is maybe the ONLY car from BYD that isn't a complete clone - inspired by the Honda Stream (for that matter, so is the Chery V5) but not a COPY. I've also seen some videos from western news sources (BBC if I remember correctly) that was impressed overall with the E6. Now, as far as BYD being overrated...............if you're talking about their design capabilities (or lack of I should say) then I agree. If you're talking about the actual quality of the cars........think again. As frustrating as it is to see them sell knockoff after knockoff of other designs, the fact is that their quality control is respectable here in China. Most consumers who have bought their products have been pleasantly surprised at the reliability of cars like the F3 (and even the F0), and the F0 is quickly becoming a popular car to customize and personalize. One more telling sign about BYD's reputation - the F3 is starting to become a popular choice for taxi fleets. I'm seeing them a lot in Shenzhen now, and the taxi drivers (I've asked them) seem to like them.

Do I respect BYD for their blatant knockoff clone cars? No - I would much rather buy a Brilliance or Changan or Roewe (the upcoming 250 and AP6 models look very interesting to me) - I have much more respect for them just as you do. BUT...........they do know how to build a car that is reliable and not a piece of garbage - if they can just apply that to designs that are original, they could be a real star in the industry.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
@ jmsteiny: Thanks for you reaction! The BYD e6 isn't indeed a complete clone, but I'm afraid it's technically a copycat of the in China very popular (previous generation) Honda Odyssey. Just look at the similarities: Until the C style the parts are almost the same. It seems the interior is also a highly redesigned dash of the Odyssey. The BYD e6 has exactly the same wheelbase as the Odyssey: 2830 mm. The width differs only 7 mm. It seems the BYD e6 is a Honda Odyssey with a severed rear end and lots of exterior changes like the wider fenders, new designed front end and the redesigned interior.

I'm pleased to hear that the quality control and reliability of their cars is OK and BYD as a battery maker has a comperative advantage in comparison with manufacturers like Chery and Geely in the form of the EV technology. BYD should earn a lot of money with the very succesful F3 and F0 as the development costs of these copycats can't be that high. BYD has great technology, so why aren't they spending their money in self-developed cars?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well the answer to that is they're being smart and using their money wisely. The BYD e6 may copycat the Honda Odyssey in wheelbase and be similar in width but to me the BYD looks better than the Odyssey.

I think that's why I get so excited about the new BYD e6. Not only will it go 99mph and have a great long range of 249 miles but it looks pretty decent on the outside to me. Not a knockout by any stretch of the imagination, but yet they've managed to give the car a distinct, smart look to it. And it will supposedly carry 7 people.

Re-charge is 7 or 8 hours with a 220 service plug IIRC. I haven't read it's specs and expected ranges for a while but I am definitely following this crossover from China like a hawk. I could see myself trying an e6 as a solid introduction to all-electric transportation.

Prices were in the $28,000USD range about a year or year and a half ago when I first started hearing about this car, but, I've followed automotive product development for long enough to know that that figure could go either up or down in the coming months before actual export starts to the west.

Investor Warren Buffett owns a 10% share of BYD and this is something that is going to pay off for him as the word of this carmaker gets out some more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually don't think of someone else's design when I look at this. That's a first for me and BYD. It looks like every other sedan but no one model stands out like usually happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear looks a little like the new 7 series BMW which itself looks quite a lot like the Lexus LS, but other than that it's a great design.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I read somewhere that this car was supposed to hit the market in October.
Now it´s November and I have heard nothing new about the release date of this Byd I6.
Is there a longer delay due to whatever?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts