China Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12656/brilliance.html

Brilliance - Auto Shows
If Chinese Brilliance can conquer Europe, an invasion of North America may follow shortly.
BY STEVEN COLE SMITH, March 2007

On behalf of Western automakers, allow us to say uh-oh. Those concerned about the all-but-eventual influx of products from China have been awaiting the appearance of cars that we thought might actually sell, and these could be them: the Brilliance BS6, BS4, and BC3. Brilliance JinBei Automobile is the first Chinese manufacturer to enter the European market, with plans in place that would implement distribution throughout the region by 2009, allowing for a 2010 sales target of 75,000 cars, 60,000 more than it plans to sell in 2007. If Brilliance can pull this off, those are certainly numbers that will get anyone’s attention, and rumors suggest that North America is next. European distribution will be handled by HSO Motors, with headquarters in Luxembourg. The company is headed by former Volkswagen executive Hans-Ulrich Sachs.

Brilliance is, as the company says, “betting on upscale equipment for price-conscious customers,” but who isn’t? The flagship BS6 comes in three models: the entry-level BS6 2.0 Comfort, the BS6 2.0 Deluxe, and the BS6 2.4 Deluxe. The 121-hp 2.0 and 127-hp 2.4-liter gas four-cylinders are sourced from Mitsubishi, and Brilliance is also developing its own engines. Once the BS6 line is established, Brilliance is planning a smaller Giugiaro-designed BS4 in mid-2007 on a shortened BS6 chassis and a BC3 coupe by the end of the year. A still-smaller car, the BS2, and an SUV are in the pipeline. Getting the most attention at Geneva was the Pininfarina-penned BC3 coupe, with a pleasant profile that resembles a Hyundai Tiburon. The BC3 has a turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder with 168 horsepower that Brilliance is developing in-house.

Price is, of course, the selling point for Chinese vehicles, and the near-luxury BS6 is expected to start at about €20,000, or $26,375 in real money, with a lengthy list of standard features. Performance is not among them, though: The company says the BS6 2.0 will go from 0 to 62 mph in 13.8 seconds, and the BS6 2.4 in 12.5 seconds.

Brilliance’s debut at Geneva was particularly low-key. It looks as if it wants to let the products speak for themselves. We’ll be listening.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The BC3 and BS4, though Italian designed, are by far the best looking cars coming out of China, hands down. Why are they not wildly popular in China is beyond me - must be due to limited availability.

These cars are surely good looking enough to come to the US. Brilliance is smart though to enter the EU market first, since the weak engines and manuall tranny is more acceptable versus the US market, where high powered I4 and V6, along with auto tranny, are a must.

I for one can't wait to get my hands on one...

·
Registered
240 Posts
to trust a car brand which came to the market quite a short time ago is not that simple.For 26000 US dollars or equal I'm sure the consumers will tend to buy their known brands rather than the new chinese ones.
Neither would I buy a brilliance for that price , since I would definitely choose the european brands instead.
Everyone knows for sure the VW passat's quality for example.so why risking the money for an uncertain quality?the same money for a proven brand just in short.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With their modest sales goal of 75K by 2010, I think the price is fine. Besides, cars in EU sells for more money than the US, so $26K is probably on par with the rest - and it may have standard features and long warranties other don't offer.

Couple of factors that will help too:

- The "I'm not driving what my neighbor/family/friend/coworker drives" people may find these cars interesting.

- The Chinese (other Asian) descents all around the world - they are everywhere you know ;) - may buy them out of ethnic pride.

- The curiosity factor - be the first with a Chinese car!

Gosh I met all 3 criterias :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Remember............

The BC3 and BS4, though Italian designed, are by far the best looking cars coming out of China, hands down. Why are they not wildly popular in China is beyond me - must be due to limited availability.

I think you're right about that - don't forget that Brilliance (as it's own domestic entity making passenger cars) isn't very old.........MAYBE 5 years or so. It takes a bit of time to set up a separate assembly line (separate from the chinese built BMW's that Brilliance is involved with), a completely new dealer network (again, separate from BMW)...........not to mention designing a new, ORIGINAL car (cars now...they already advertise 3 models in Europe according to the article)!! The last thing...........a Brilliance is still a bit "pricey" for the average chinese consumer. A BS6 with a 2.4 and most options can end up being 140,000rmb or more........and at that point there are LOTS of foreign options (Ford Focus, Toyota Corrolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Sunny, Peugeot 306, etc..). The DIFFERENCE is that compared to all of the foreign cars I mentioned, the BS6 is bigger and much roomier - AND also the biggest engine compared to those cars. I think honsetly that many chinese consumers are still UNAWARE of the quality and freshness of design that Brilliance offers - that will change once Brilliance offers a smaller car in the 70,000-90,000rmb price range (a real Polo, Fit and 206 competitor) and more consumers are able to afford a Brilliance, AND Brilliance adopts a more aggresive marketing campaign.

·
Registered
196 Posts
wow. car and driver bothered to test a chinese car? *reads the review*

"At 192.1 inches long, the BS6 is about the size of a Toyota Camry. Get ready for a shock, because the price is darn close to a Camry’s, too. The BS6 is far from the cut-rate economy car many expected to spearhead China’s entry into demanding Western automotive markets. The base 2.0-liter BS6, in Comfort trim, starts at about $26,600 (€20,000). The 2.4-liter Deluxe model we tested has an estimated price of $31,000. Yikes."

oh my.

"Trying to remain unbiased by the high price, we jump behind the wheel and right into a sea of shiny, cheap-looking plastic. The steering wheel feels oily, and the column-mounted stalks brittle. The radio looks as though it had been time-warped from 1985."

"But with just 127 horsepower and 144 pound-feet of torque—and get this, it requires premium fuel"

premium gas? damn that's terrible for such a low power output.

"The stereo sounds terrible, with bass that rattles the doors as if someone were banging a basketball against them. That ugly glob of black rubber—otherwise known as the shifter—felt sticky and nasty after about an hour of use. The one-touch power windows didn’t go down with the as-promised one touch. Even the trunk didn’t open smoothly. It took three tugs to get it completely open."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Never knew they had double din CD radios in 1985 ??

And why do they compare the EU BS6 price to the US Camr price, cars are twice as expensive here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
lol they don't mean the type of media it takes. just look at that thing! it looks like such an old style. they made radios in the 80's that resembled that. if it doesn't look like an old radio, it sure looks like a toy radio to me.

camry's in the US cost from 18-25k (more with options i guess). i think that is what they are referring to.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Standard VW Golf radio

Becker single din radio.

These are actually expensive radios.

And the good thing about a standard 2din factory radio is you can actually replace it!!! If you get a Mazda6 or so, you're most likely stuck with the crappy OEM radio. 'But it looks good'! Wow, spectacular argument. Many cars don't even come with a radio in standard trim.
And yes, of course they refer to the US sales price of the Camry, but 'forget' to mention the camry costs 2x a BS6 in europe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
since you are more of an expert in the europe car market than i am (i know US cars), what car is comparable price, and price/feature wise?

also, i'm glad you posted these pics. the lower one shows the sophistication of modern LCD screens. backlit display, clean graphics, and small but legible text/numbers. compare to the chinese radio where you see large numbers like you would on a very old LCD or at the very least, a poorly designed LCD! notice that the middle of the numbers are not consistently displayed so they look faded. does it even have backlighting? lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
BS6 is about the price of a barebone 1.6 4door Focus, which has a fancy "1985" non lit single line LCD radio... and tough luck if you don't like it,.. no DIN format here.

BS6 has blue backlight when you drive with lights, as does the airco display.
The BS6 display is 'faded' because the picture is of low quality. (US reviewer probably had a cheap chinese camera as well).

my previous car, 2003 Seat Leon Cupra TDI was almost twice the price of the BS6 at 34000 euro:

Nice radio eh? :)

The thing is, it IS just a basic CD radio. It doesn't need a fancy display.

·
Registered
196 Posts
LOL about the cheap chinese camera :lol:

thanks for the pics/info.

typically what i have seen in the US are much fancier radio systems.

here is a radio from a Scion tC. it's a Pioneer and it's a very good sound system (the cover comes down and hides the head unit).

here is one from a mazda. there is a trend for integrated radios.

at the very least, the BS6 has the look of a previous generation radio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts