1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chinese science shaken by faked chip research
By Richard McGregor in Beijing
Published: May 14 2006 19:25 | Last updated: May 14 2006 19:25

China’s scientific establishment has been shaken by the sacking of a dean at one its most prestigious universities for falsely claiming to have invented a much-praised “indigenous” computer chip.

The scandal coincides with a concerted push by the central government to put “innovation” at the heart of an economic development model which has so far relied on imported technology.

The government wants to ensure that as the economy becomes enmeshed with the rest of world – and its rules governing intellectual property rights – that China develops its own commercial technologies rather than buying in from overseas.

The country has poured substantial government research funds into fields such as biotech, telecoms, nuclear power and chip design in an effort to develop technology.

Jiaotong University in Shanghai said late on Friday it had fired Chen Jin, dean of the Microelectronics School, for faking research behind a series of chips for digital signals processing.

Mr Chen was also the general manager of the Hanxin Sci-Tech, the company that produced the chips.

The university and later the government launched an investigation into the Hanxin chip series after receiving a letter in December from a whistle-blower alleging that Mr Chen had faked the research behind it.

Xinhua, the official news agency, said Mr Chen had “fooled” technical appraisal teams from the university and government ministries that had funded his project into believing that he had developed the chips himself.

“On the basis of the investigation summaries, the university concluded that Chen’s deeds had flouted academic ethical codes and the university constitution, and had brought the research community into disrepute,” the Xinhua statement said.

Mr Chen’s chip was neither based on technology he said he had developed himself, nor could it perform the functions he claimed for it, the short statement said.

The 21st Century Business Herald, a respected newspaper that has pursued the case, reported that Mr Chen had taken chips produced by Freescale Semiconductor, formerly a unit of Motorola, and then used low-paid migrant workers to scrub its trademarks off and replace them with that of Hanxin. Neither company was available for comment.

Mr Chen’s own project had received Rmb114m ($14.2m) for research to develop the Hanxin chips. Xinhua said he had been asked to pay back the money.

It also said Mr Chen had been banned from conducting any further state research projects but did not say whether he would be prosecuted or punished further over the episode.

“Jiaotong University has warned its professors and researchers to be disciplined and to comply with ethical codes in scientific research,” Xinhua said.

The university, whose famous graduates include Jiang Zemin, the former president, said it strongly supported “the severe actions taken by relevant government departments”.

“In the future, the school will strengthen its management of research and its oversight of research funds.”
Well, even CPUs are fakes in China.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well, even CPUs are fakes in China.

Oh, well, even stem cells are fake in S.Korea.

here is a series of stories of the KING of Faking, Hwang Woo Suk, former professor of Seoul National University

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/hwang_woo_suk/?inline=nyt-per

Dr. Hwang Woo Suk published a paper in the journal Science that claimed his team had successfully obtained stem cells from cloned human embryos. But allegations from co-workers that he had falsified data followed and he later resigned from Seoul National University. A university panel investigated Dr. Hwang's results and announced that he had fabricated data. News about Hwang Woo Suk, including commentary and archival articles, published in The New York Times appears below.

Disgraced Korean Cloning Scientist Indicted
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Prosecutors on Friday indicted a disgraced cloning scientist on embezzlement and bioethics law violations linked to faked stem cell research.
May 12, 2006 World News

Faked Research On Stem Cells Is Confirmed By Korean Panel

The South Korean researcher Hwang Woo Suk faked results of at least 9 of 11 stem cell lines he had claimed to have created.
December 23, 2005 World News

well, how many more you want to read about this KING? google for yourself.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I heartly suggest that the admin close this thread up.

Having a title includes the vocabulary "cars" does not justify the context being irrelevant to automobiles. I am not a person who likes to poke fun at other people, neither do I enjoy throwing black sarcasm all around on this forum. However, if someone starts to disgrace my people and nation, he should expect to receive the similar dishonor in return only ten times more humiliating.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
hi tiggo, he really didnt make direct hits or neither did he get personal...he was sarcastic or trying to direct his opinion...

its his opinion, i moved this thread into off-topic.. by him suggesting china has many fake goods...that might be true, but if we oppose to the extent he is trying to imply, then it is our job to prove that there are fake goods everywhere and he is exagerrating

the point is..i think fake goods exist everywhere, and fake goods do exist more in asian countries, because of the great amount of poor people which create this industry. When you have a low income bracket, a new goods industry is made, ..but this takes place even in the US

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think I have to agree with you, boss~
:thumb:

One thing I don't quite understand is: Hongkong is probably one of the richest cities on earth, those ******* are living in first world standard and have a purchase power much higher than Japanese....however, there are still noticable piracy issues and often it's Hongkong based organizations or individuals are to blame for mod-chips that permit illegal game backup CD/DVDs run on your consoles.

Both Taiwan and South Korea, two of the reletively rich countries in Asia, still have pretty high piracy level.

·
Registered
481 Posts
either ur the nicest admin ever , or you are the hater himself ,or u are from s.korea :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.