China Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dacia Logan. Built by Renault's Romanian subsidiary Dacia, Logan's fame rests on its low starting price below 6,000 Euro, low enough to give Chinese vehicles a run for their money. Originally intended for poorer eastern european markets, it is a hit in the western europe.

Mechanically it rides on Renalt Clio and is fully upto date, even though its exterior styling looks dated in order to save money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The latest Clio looks very cool.

That romanian wagen looks nothing even close to that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmm, this should only encourage the Chinese automakers. Now they are certain that if they can put out a solidly built, competitive product at a super low price, they would sell like hot cakes. Even less reasons to hold back now!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, this should only encourage the Chinese automakers. Now they are certain that if they can put out a solidly built, competitive product at a super low price, they would sell like hot cakes. Even less reasons to hold back now!!!
The only problem is that Logan is fully up to date engineering wise, backed by Renault, and is distributed through existing Renault dealer network, whereas Chinese contenders are out of date, with unproven reliability and a non-existent sales network.

·
Registered
481 Posts
this car is as crappy as geelys
Its for sale in Morroco ( arab country ) and I've driven there

UP TO DATE ? it uses a 1.6 8V Renault engine that makes noisey crap and very LOW HP/KW , even lower than the Chery A11 !

CHASIS ? so dacia can't make a $500 million CHASIS ? they used the CLIO ?
yes I know Renault Owns dacia , but still there's no reason for buying such an UGLY ( and i mean ugly , go get some front pics ) for $6000 , take alook at its interior !

I rather ride an A11 then having 2 of this car !
The only good point about it that it is A RENAULT !

if you want a real renaul , get the CLIO or MEGANE , this one is more crappy than chinese cars ! UP TO date or up to SH!T , DOESNT MATTER

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CHASIS ? so dacia can't make a $500 million CHASIS ?
Nope. Chassis development is extremely costly and about 15 companies in the world are capable of their own chassis development, Chery excluded.

they used the CLIO ?
Yes. Clio chassis and powertrain.

but still there's no reason for buying such an UGLY ( and i mean ugly , go get some front pics ) for $6000 , take alook at its interior !
$6,000 is cheaper than Chinese cars in Europe.

At least Logan gets 3 stars on EuroNCAP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It might cost about $400-500M to design something really good - like the new Fiat Punto. But in a $27Bn/per annum company how much is that really? Especially for a very key platform that will underpin several vehicles?

Design and production engineering costs would, of course, be signficantly lower in China - and as we all know China has a great deal of engineering talent.

The companies that are really coming on steam in China - they've got government backing and they're raking it in on a seller's market. Do you really think they don't have the money to design newer cars? I don't, and the crop of original cars that are appearing now speaks to the ability of these companies to get out from under the weight of licensed-clones.

As for three stars on the NCAP, any of the Chinese Citroën ZX clones can achieve that number, since that's what the ZX/Xsara got.. Now if they know how to make that (and they most certainly do), surely they're working on better things for the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts