China Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Pretoria, South Africa
I, purchased this bakkie a while ago with 3200km on the clock and stock standard. This bakkie is exclusively used to travel to work and back (52km) on a daily basis (25km is @ 120km/h). The following were done;
1. Steel rims were widened by 75mm (outwards) and 205/60R13 tyres fitted
2. Body raied by 50mm for wheel arch clearance
3. Towbar, Rollbar and Bullbar fitted
4. Smash and grab fitted with 35% tint
5. Level 4 alarm (remote locking etc.)
6. Exaust modified (55mm) with one silencer and outlet @ passenger side
7. New cluster with rev. counter (I, think DFM cluster)
8. Third stop light

Will elaborate in a next thread on what my next mod. is going to be. Still searching for specifications and whether it could be done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Martin
There is a few reasons for my choice;
1. Value for money as the initial cost is about 40%-60% cheaper than other vehicles e.g. Nissan and Opel (now Chev).
2. Running cost is also about 50% lower than e.g. my daughter's Yaris T1. Service components for a Chana 1.3 is on average half the price as I, service the vehicles myself. I, am not even talking about my Disco Tdi when it comes to spare parts as I, had the engine overhauled a while ago (cost equals a brand new Chana).
3. The vehicle seems to be utilised in South Africa as a small delivery vehicle and not to be high on the "theft and highjack" scale which suits me as I, "work" in predominantly low income area (note my distance).
4. Fuel consumption is moderate (13km to a litre), also note that our fuel prices are climbing at an alarming rate.

Yes, I did some mod's on the vehicle and the build quality is not the "best". The "Technology" level suits me as I, can do most repairs myself (even modify some things).
Will elaborate at a later stage on issues that needs attention on the Chana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all
I, want to elaborate on the following issues with respect to my Chana.

1. The seats needs an additional layer of "meduim density" foam about 50mm in thickness as my drive is relatively long and the "road surface" is not user friendly (bumpy at times).
2. The diff. ratio for me is too high as I, travel at 120km/h for some distance on a daily basis and the rev. counter runs on 4000+ r/min. I, did find a website (in China) that manufacture crownwheel and pinions.
3. Whith the wider (and somewhat bigger tyres) the roadholding is superb and not once did it feel unsafe to travel at 120+ km/h. I, think the fact that the Chana has no power steering helps with this.
4. The vehicle is very "nippy" and revs with ease to 7000+ revs. The exaust sounds fantastic and people can't believe it's a Chana motor in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi all
By luck I, stumbled onto a site which shows the same Chana 1.3 as mine doing some spinning on a paved area. To find this I, punched in "monster chana" and it took me to Youtube whereupon the "video" was downloaded. The vehicle sounds the same as mine but I, think they "tweaked" the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just some feedback from Lucas
My Chana now has almost 14000km on the clock and still going strong. I must say that it attracts a lot of attention wherever I go. Some drivers also tried to challenge the Chana whereupon they lost the battle badly. I certainly did not tweak the engine but for some reason this bakkie flies. To reach 150km/hr (GPS) is very easy and done in no time. I've also travelled at 140km/hr (again GPS) for some distance. I can "feel" that that the engine is not fond of running at 5000+revs/min. Note must be taken that the speedometer needle is off the markings which leds me to believe that the meters are totally inaccurate (deviation of about 25+km/hr at 148km/hr. Will upload a photo of the cluster at a later stage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some feedback on my Chana. It's got 43000 km on the clock and still going strong. Noticed a bit of oil at one of my rear wheels. Had new bearings (both sides) and seals fitted. I've noticed that my brakes are becoming "spongy" and will most probably fit a mew "Master Cylinder Brake Kit" in the near future.
Maintenance and spares are very cheap compared to other makes of vehicles.

Regards
Lucas in South Africa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

Just read the blog,, I have a Chana double Cab star (1.0L) Only have 24 000km on the clock,, have camped a few times with her,, lil bit under power, hard suspension,, but I enjoy this vehicle,, it is definitly a plus in any garage from my point of view,,

I have done a few mods,, 50mm exhaust, mags, side skirts for the misses to get in the car - otherwise a plain and simple vehicle

Johan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I need some advice please. I have a 2008 Chana bakkie 1300. But I live on a farm and the hectic dirt roads are killing my tyres (and my car obviously) (bakkie). I am constantly having a whole punched in my tyres from stones. Short of trying to get out Municipality to regularly scrape our roads, which is not going to happen, is there a thicker type tyre I can put on it? Like a regular thick bakkie type tyre?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts