China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First pictures and rendering of CV5

Suzuki have undergone a technology transfer with their Chinese joint venture partner, Chang’an, which will see Chang’an build their own super mini car.

The Chang’an CV5 is based on the current Suzuki Alto platform, and is expected to be put into production at the end of 2009, and be launched in early 2010 with the choice of either 800cc engines, or 1.0l engines.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Changan Ben Ben Mini

You know what? I like it! I like it more than the CV6 too.......not that the CV6 is a bad car, but I like the overall shape and lines of this car. And NO, it doesn't remind me of a Aygo at all - if anything it has similarities to the Suzuki Alto (gee.........wonder why?????:p ). Changan will need to price this well BELOW the Alto to make it competitive (and the Alto sells in the mid 50,000rmb range), so I'm guessing in the 30-40,000rmb range - that's QQ3, F0 and Panda territory. That market is a tough nut to crack, but I think this little CV5 has a good chance. It's cute without being "girlish", will get great gas mileage and will be the ONLY other competitor to the QQ3/Spark with a 0.8L engine. I'd take this over a QQ3 any day - much more modern and attractive AND it has more room. Another thing............we know that Changan has been working on hybrid/electric/hydrogen engine technology - this could be a perfect car to debut some of that technology (like a electric version) AND compete against the electric Panda. Price it right Changan, and you could strike the heart of fear into the dominant market share of the QQ3!!:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts

It is a great looking little car with a fresh and funky design.
To compete with the Gleagle Panda or the GW Peri it would be necessary to offer a more powerful engine than the 1 Liter with 70 hp.
The 1.3 of the Ben Ben Love would be a perfect engine for this cute little car.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Actually, this car isn't really supposed to compete with the Panda or Peri - that's what the Ben Ben Love model is for. THIS car is going to take on the QQ3, F0, the new JAC A0, cars like that - this is micro car market segment, not the sub compact segment. The "king" of this hill has been the QQ3 for years now......and that is what the Ben Ben Mini is aiming for.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

Chery QQ3 vs. Suzuki Alto vs. Great Wall Hover M1 vs. Geely Panda vs. ChangAn Benben Mini

Design:
1. Great Wall Hover M1 *****
Suzuki Alto *****
3. ChangAn Benben Mini ****
Geely Panda ****
5. Chery QQ3 ***

Interior:
1. Suzuki Alto *****
2. ChangAn Benben Mini ****
Geely Panda ****
Great Wall Hover M1 ****
5. Chery QQ3 ***

Comfort:
1. ChangAn Benben Mini *****
2. Great Wall Hover M1 ****
Suzuki Alto ****
4. Chery QQ3 ***
Geely Panda ***

Interior storage space:
1. Great Wall Hover M1 *****
2. ChangAn Benben Mini ****
Geely Panda ****
Suzuki Alto ****
5. Chery QQ3 ***

Verdict:
1. Great Wall Hover M1 = 18 sterren: + Roomiest of the five
Suzuki Alto = 18 sterren: + Balanced allrounder
3. ChangAn Benben Mini = 17 sterren: + Design, comfort
4. Geely Panda = 15 sterren: + One of the best in terms of build quality; - Small trunk volume space
5. Chery QQ3 = 12 sterren: - Outdated, not competitive in any area compared to its more decent rivals.

Complete comparison test: http://www.autohome.com.cn/advice/201004/106352-1.html

·
Registered
706 Posts

Suzuki does small really, really well. I am starting to admire them as a very competent builder of cars overall, too, after seeing the great job they've done with the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi midsize car.

This car is selling for only $21,998 at a Wichita, KS, Suzuki dealer. This dealer sells more Suzuki's than any other Suzuki dealer in the U.S. This car has FWD, 6-speed transmission, leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearknob, cloth seats, 10-way adjustable driver's seat, foglights, sunroof and a 425-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo. And it's already going to pass the Safety Test in the U.S. for the year 2014...right now!

This car is worth way more than $21,998. I'm seriously thinking of trading our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with 55,687 miles in on this car right here. If it's still there when I get to Nebraska, that is.
Suzuki tested the Kizashi on the Autobahn, and they didn't just easily pass the car through the tests, either. This car is a true racehorse.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

In the USA Suzuki is a very slow selling car company, but in The Netherlands Suzuki has always been a very popular brand. Since 1982 406.696 Suzuki's have been sold here. In the first three months Suzuki sold 4682 cars (3,23% market share): http://www.autoweek.nl/verkoopcijfers.php?verkoopjaar=2010
By far the most popular Suzuki is the Alto (the same as the Chinese, but built in India) with 2.604 units (1,80%), followed by the Swift (1.079 / 0,74%), SX4 (also available in the USA; 420 / 0,29%), Splash (389 / 0,27%), Grand Vitara (167 / 0,12%) and Jimny (23 / 0,02%).
The biggest rival Daihatsu was also very popular until 2008, but the sales dropped significantly due to the expensive yen (market share 2008: 1,85%, 2010 until March: 0,45%). Small cars are just very popular here: the best sold car is the Toyota Aygo.
And the Alto does also have a Nissan version, the Pixo.

·
Registered
305 Posts

VERY INTERESTING comparison test of the 5 cars, and it confirms my opinion as well - the Chery QQ3 is woefully outdated now and not competitive with these new sub-compacts. Something else interesting too.......the Peri is no longer being produced due to lack of sales, so I'm assuming the M1 will no longer be available as well. This SHOULD put the Ben Ben Mini in the "driver's seat" as far as being the the new leader in this segment - it matches the low price of the QQ3 AND it is much more modern and comfortable. Yes, the Alto is rated a little higher, but it's also 10-15,000rmb more expensive. Ok chinese consumers.........you can now upgrade your standards, you don't NEED to buy a Daewoo Matiz clone anymore!! If you want a low-priced, roomy and comfortable city car, go take a look at the CV5 - you'll be glad you did.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Thanks for that enlightenment on these models DC.
JM didn't no that Peri was doing so poorly. Please keep us posted on the fate of the M1.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts