China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am surprised. When I was in Beijing in March, people from Changan told me that the pickup project had been abandoned, as there was no chance for success.
Hello Erik and Dmitra,
Considering Chang'an's location in the west (away from the pickup-unfriendly cities), perhaps we shouldn't be surprised to see the company want to get into the act of pickup selling.
Of course Chang'an has long been a maker of the Suzuki-based mini pickups, that even made their way to the U.S. in the past. As for this one, it looks like a (ready-made) double cab body, identical to the ones used by, FAW, JAC, and Chery Karry.
With its history of comparatively innovative designs, I suppose I expected Chang'an to introduce a more distinct looking pickup, say perhaps something like the soon to be launched, Weichai P80.... or the Geely ET925, which we have yet to see go into production.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Dragin, any idea why Sino-Japanese JVs of Toyota, Mazda, or Mitsubishi never made the Hilux/LC79, B-Series/BT-50 or L200/Triton in China? Especially considering the fact the these pickups were hugely popular worldwide?

Of course there was Qinling-Isuzu and Dongfeng-Nissan making pickups. And nowadays JMC-Isuzu too. (FAW-GM is another Sino-foreign JV producing pickups, but it is not Japanese)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Dmitra, I think the reason is that early on, multiple Chinese car and light truck makers developed clones of the Isuzu D-max, and sometimes the HiLux pickup, with wild abandon, and their pricing precluded any competition from outside.
Foday and Kawai are examples of suppliers of the basic single and double cab bodies. Upon delivery, proprietary front ends/fascias were then tailor-built to suit.
In other words it just wasn't possible to compete with the low-priced domestic models. As you mention Nissan, and to a lesser extent Isuzu, were exceptions. GM of course tried, with FAW, and Jinbei but seems to have given up on that segment.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You are welcome, Dmitra. I wonder if you have information that could tell us which Chinese manufacturers, so far, have launched (full sized) pickups with their own Intellectual Property Rights, for the complete vehicle.
I think Foday, Foton, and Weichai (Q4 of 2015) may be among them.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Dragin, such information is difficult to find in the public domain, added to the fact that every manufacturer claims to have IPR on their own vehicle!
Nonetheless:

Almost every pickup (the kind you are referring to, i.e. excluding van-based ones) on the Chinese market is based off the Isuzu TF's platform or an improvement thereof. This is apparent by their wheelbases which are either 3025 mm or 3380 mm. They may sport different bodies, but a look at the wheelbase dimension gives them away. Moreover, many of the newer bodies, irrespective of front ends, are copies of the 1st-gen. D-Max.

Talking of independent designs, I can list:

BAW Zhanqi pickups (BJ2032H)
BAW Ruiling (007-based)
Dongfeng Fengdu New Rich (though Nissan may have had a hand in this)
Great Wall Wingle 6 (previous Wingles 3 and 5 are believed to be related to the D-Max)
Huanghai N1/N1S
Huanghai N2
JMC Vigor
Leopaard CT5 (wheelbase is 3380 mm - coincidence?)
ZXAuto Tiger series (Grand/Little/export)

and the Foday Xiongshi F22 and Foton Tunland, as mentioned by you.

The Huanghai Plutus Luxury, JAC Ruichi Zhengtu, Kama KMC1032 and Kawei K1 are actually variations of the same truck, with vastly different fronts, but essentially the same 5.6-m body and 3500 mm wheelbase. I am not sure of the origin of this vehicle.

Please notify if I have missed anything or made an error.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts