China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
8v or 16v - in terms of power output, you won't notice a difference until you are at higher engine speeds, typically 4000rpm plus.

main problem with the chery A11 and it's ford engine is a lack of smoothness and relatively high noise, and the fuel consumption is not great. in terms of making the car move, it's no rocketship but ok for general use.

the engine is not ripped off, they bought the design rights and all the manufacturing equipment from Ford's Bridgend plant in UK. since then they have made some developments to the engine and continue to do so, it is not discontinued although it is old technology now.

there is a version of this car going into production with 1.6 litre AVL developed engine, but it's just starting now and might be some time before it gets overseas.

if the price is same as fiat palio, then if you need a car with a bit of size to carry 4 or 5 people and with a huge trunk, then it's the one to go for. more for your money, although a bit of an unknown as it's a new company and new distributorship. if you are young and childless and want a sporty little number then the fiat might be the one to go for.

i wanted to try an experiment so got myself a chery in china and it hasn't disappointed. but then I was looking for a tuning project and the combination of jetta chassis and '80s ford engine meant easy parts supply out of england.

i've had some reliability issues with the modified parts but the rest of the car has been ok. I had to have a new driveshaft and engine mount at 50k kms which is not normal, but I have been doing a lot of timed standing start testing with different engine specs and that kills these parts, also a fair amount of track work which judging by the effect on the tyres and brake pads I would say is also very heavy on the car.

I would be concerned about a dealer that doesn't give you a straight answer about things like the 8v / 16v question. at best he's an idiot, worst he's trying to con you.

happy motoring. most important thing is to get some wheels and get out on the highway, the rest will sort itself out in time!

·
Registered
450 Posts
this is the 8v engine. the newer ones have a plastic cover on top, but the thing that gives it away is the position of the spark plugs (on the ends of those yellow wires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts