China Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
SAIC at one time owned 15% of Chery, and they paid up 30m USD to VW after they complained about the Toledo rip off, which satisfied the situation.
they have come to an out of court agreement with GM/ GM DAT now , it hasn't been disclosed what the deal was and I doubt GM were satisfied, but it is the end of the issue, it's over.
Over in China, not over elsewhere. The day B14 and New Crossover lands in the US or EU port, GM lawyers will be waiting for them with a lawsuit citing an illegal replication of GM Daewoo chassis.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice, I expect you'll be there on the dockside quivering with excitement. I'll probably be in the pub having a good time or something - it won't be the end of the story. The people who built the only man made object visible from space by eye (that big feckin wall) and were then the third country to send a bloke up to look at it are hardly going to struggle to export what is at the end of the day just 4 wheels a CHASSIS and an engine. And it's only the CHASSIS that's difficult apparently. They've already got the engine and by your own admission China is already the leader in wheels.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
qq and anhui

In 2001 I visited Wuhu, not only Chery but also Tongbao. At Tongbao they told me the story that there had been an automobile mission from Anhui province to Daewoo, Daewoo was at that time totally broke. Tongbao joined it, but also Anchi and Chery. Daewoo was interested to sell rights to produce the QQ, as they urgently needed money. They even gave Tongbao a complete QQ for study, which Tongbao showed me. At the same time, Anchi already put the Anchi version of the QQ on her website, the car was named Anchi MC 6350, technical information was included. Finally Anchi never produced it. (Nowadays Anchi has disappeared, Tongbao is sold to Zongshen.) Chery always kept saying that they paid Daewoo money for some rights of the QQ.
I think it is by all to easy to say that these companies just stole the rights to produce the QQ. Daewoo was negotiating with them and have sold them some rights. Maybe Chery finally took more than was sold to them, that is possible.
But GM was not in yet and it was GM, after they bought Daewoo, who made the problems and went to court. And it was GM who decided to negotiate and to make a deal (does anybody now what Chery gave them for the deal: no QQ in Western Europe??? Not using the Chery name in the USA???).
As you can see from the MG-Rover negotiations, these takeovers, even when they have lawyers etc. often leave more questions than expected: for instance who has the juridical rights to produce the Rover 75, Shanqi or Nanqi? or: how can it be that Nanqi can't use the name MG in Western Europe, etc etc)
So I can imagine that GM found out, after the take over, that Daewoo had sold more than they expected (and told them). Or that it was unclear what Daewoo had sold.
Erik.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You were in Wuhu in 01 when Chery just started selling cars and Daewoo was going bankrupt. How much did Chery pay Daewoo for the rights to QQ and magnus.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
chery and qq rights

No idea. At Chery I didn't speak about this, for I didn't know Chery was preparing Matiz production too. I only saw the A11, at that time called CAC 6430. (they had the designation by buying it from the Chengdu Auto Works, which went broke. The first official Chery address was in Chengdu. Geely did the same by buying the license to make automobiles from the Dujiang Auto Works, also in Sichuan).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Chery A11 was the only car they made until they got daewoo blueprints for QQ and eastar. Then they made tiggo, and crossover.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Chery always kept saying that they paid Daewoo money for some rights of the QQ.
It would be nice if they would kindly disclose the scope of that "deal". Or did the deal fall apart over price, but Chery went on with producing Matiz anyway????

Daewoo was negotiating with them and have sold them some rights.
Any such licensing, if it does indeed exist, would be restricted to Chinese domestic markets only and exclude exports and derivatives(Like New Cross Over and that new high-end sedan built off Magnus chassis), as Daewoo heavily depend on export(90% of production) to keep the company going. Any possible license is already annulled because Chery violated the licensing terms.

Maybe Chery finally took more than was sold to them, that is possible.
So we are finally on to something.

But GM was not in yet and it was GM, after they bought Daewoo, who made the problems and went to court.
GM was in an advanced stage of Daewoo takeover bidding in 2001.

And it was GM who decided to negotiate and to make a deal (does anybody now what Chery gave them for the deal: no QQ in Western Europe??? Not using the Chery name in the USA???).
Or more like no Matiz and Magnus drivative vehicles outside of China.

As you can see from the MG-Rover negotiations, these takeovers, even when they have lawyers etc. often leave more questions than expected: for instance who has the juridical rights to produce the Rover 75, Shanqi or Nanqi?
Shanghai. Nanjing only has the MG brand and production equipment to build something other than 25 and 75. But in China, IP rights aren't always respected, even another Chinese company's IP......

Or that it was unclear what Daewoo had sold.
GM people are no dummies and they would not have sued unless they had a clear case againt Chery. Even if Daewoo sold a production license(which I doubt based on GM's lawsuit afterward), it would have clearly restricted Chery's sales to Chinese domestic market only in order to protect Daewoo's export business(90% of production), which Chery isn't honoring right now and is automatically annulled.

·
Registered
481 Posts
emm

well then there's another LAW SUIT coming , Daewoo sold rights to AutoVAZ as well ( Russian Automaker - Lada )

to Produce whats named " ZAZ Lanos " and " ZAZ Nubira "
It was also before GMs buyout , GM will sue ZAZ now ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
and its not a copy , its a COMPLETE CLONE

·
Registered
772 Posts
Daewoo sold rights to AutoVAZ as well
AutoVAZ is a CKD assembler; it imports kits from GM Daewoo and assembles them for sale in Russia. It cannot operate without CKD kits from GM Daewoo.

If Daewoo was looking for a deal with Chinese venders, then it was a licensed CKD deal, similar to Chevrolet Spark(Matiz Generation I) and Matiz(Matiz Generation II) kits being assembled by SAIC for GM China.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
erik (laofan) said:
In 2001 I visited Wuhu, not only Chery but also Tongbao. At Tongbao they told me the story that there had been an automobile mission from Anhui province to Daewoo, Daewoo was at that time totally broke. Tongbao joined it, but also Anchi and Chery. Daewoo was interested to sell rights to produce the QQ, as they urgently needed money. They even gave Tongbao a complete QQ for study, which Tongbao showed me. At the same time, Anchi already put the Anchi version of the QQ on her website, the car was named Anchi MC 6350, technical information was included. Finally Anchi never produced it. (Nowadays Anchi has disappeared, Tongbao is sold to Zongshen.) Chery always kept saying that they paid Daewoo money for some rights of the QQ.
I think it is by all to easy to say that these companies just stole the rights to produce the QQ. Daewoo was negotiating with them and have sold them some rights. Maybe Chery finally took more than was sold to them, that is possible.
But GM was not in yet and it was GM, after they bought Daewoo, who made the problems and went to court. And it was GM who decided to negotiate and to make a deal (does anybody now what Chery gave them for the deal: no QQ in Western Europe??? Not using the Chery name in the USA???).
As you can see from the MG-Rover negotiations, these takeovers, even when they have lawyers etc. often leave more questions than expected: for instance who has the juridical rights to produce the Rover 75, Shanqi or Nanqi? or: how can it be that Nanqi can't use the name MG in Western Europe, etc etc)
So I can imagine that GM found out, after the take over, that Daewoo had sold more than they expected (and told them). Or that it was unclear what Daewoo had sold.
Erik.
If I remember well, In 2002, my father visited Chery company as he worked at that moment for the earliest Chery dealer of my province. He told me after coming back that the company showed them a ''mysterious'' big sedan
that would soon be put in production which was actually the ''Easter'' today. The company said they had been already working with Daewoo and this sedan was to be the first model after their cooperation. Chery even showed them at the same time the Easter's original Daewoo model and said the engine as well as the transmission system for this new car would be imported directly from Daewoo(although today it's not the case). This would at least suggest that there must be some agreement(maybe informal) between Chery and Daewoo around the year 2001 and 2002 and that Daewoo was aware of Chery's future production of Easter which would be based on one of it's cars.

Perhaps Chery showed them the QQ as well, but I don't remember it well. One thing is sure however, that Chery at that time, was focusing on Easter and didn't put much hope in QQ for it's market performance, So they didn't talk about it a lot and when QQ finally turned out to be a sale success, they just didn't have enough production capacity for it. How ironic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Perhaps this could also explain why Daewoo didn't sue Chey for it copying Easter and QQ.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If I remember well, In 2002, my father visited Chery company as he worked at that moment for the earliest Chery dealer of my province. He told me after coming back that the company showed them a ''mysterious'' big sedan
that would soon be put in production which was actually the ''Easter'' today. The company said they had been already working with Daewoo and this sedan was to be the first model after their cooperation. Chery even showed them at the same time the Easter's original Daewoo model and said the engine as well as the transmission system for this new car would be imported directly from Daewoo(although today it's not the case). This would at least suggest that there must be some agreement(maybe informal) between Chery and Daewoo around the year 2001 and 2002 and that Daewoo was aware of Chery's future production of Easter which would be based on one of it's cars.

Perhaps Chery showed them the QQ as well, but I don't remember it well. One thing is sure however, that Chery at that time, was focusing on Easter and didn't put much hope in QQ for it's market performance, So they didn't talk about it a lot and when QQ finally turned out to be a sale success, they just didn't have enough production capacity for it. How ironic.
Unlikely given the fact that QQ came out before Son Of Orient.

Perhaps this could also explain why Daewoo didn't sue Chey for it copying Easter and QQ.
Daewoo wasn't in a position to sue anybody, as they went bankrupt in 1998 and had been under receivership until the final sales to GM.

·
Registered
627 Posts
so they didn't expect sales of qq to be so high and demand for qq was much higher than production. that's why the chinese govt gave chery $700 million to build more factories and expand production. The Eastar probably didn't sell as many as Chery was expecting.

firefox said:

·
Registered
481 Posts
well guys I don't like to interupt you but your going miles away from the subject of the thread .

I don't intend to study each and every history of a car maker when I want to buy a car ... and please for the love of god ,stop wasting ur time aruging with ghosts or racists ... its useless .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firefox, can you please tell me where you found the engine specs? I'm doing a research paper for my master's. Are you sure the engines are EUR IV?

21 - 40 of 90 Posts