China Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well , I am just transporting a discussion from a local forum to here ,

No one has ever mentioned the roots of the Chery A5 , while some said its original design with original chassis , some others said its still the SEAT toledo chassis with new new exterior .

However on that forum , some ppl noticed something , and I am not really sure if its the case , but can you compare these two pictures ( Note I am not saying that this is a copy of anything , I am just asking for your opinion ) :

no they are not the same car

well its not a DIRECT copy , but its VERY inspiring eh ? :D

The first one is the CheryA5/Speranza A55
the 2nd one is the ehem :

Chevrolet Optra / Daewoo Nubira / Suzuki Forenza / Daewoo Lacetti ( hatchback ) / Buick Excelle

EDIT :
More data :

GM optra : Chery A5
Wheel base : 2664 mm 2600 mm
Length : 4510 4552
Width : 1725 1750

the numbers are very close , but I dont think thats a clue to anything , I guess any car of that size ( Elantra / Mazda3 / Corolla ) Will have similar or close dimensions , but still I am doubty about this car , and also narrower wheelbase , yet wider body ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chinacartimes said:
http://www.buick.com.cn/c_model/excelle.aspx

How about this Buick Excelle as well?

This Buick HRV reminds me of the the Chery A3:
http://www.buick.com.cn/c_model/hrv.aspx

So, perhaps they still are cooperating?
lol , well sir , before mocking me :
take a look at this from Wikipedia

Visually identical models are currently also sold as Chevrolet Nubira in some European markets, Chevrolet Optra and Chevrolet Optra5 (hatchback) in Canada, Mexico, Philippines, Central America, South America, India, Pakistan, Arabia, Southeast Asia, and South Africa, Suzuki Forenza and Suzuki Reno (hatchback) in the USA, Buick Excelle HRV (hatchback) in China, and Holden Viva in Australia and New Zealand. The hatchback version has recently been launched in India as Chevrolet SRV. As of 2007, the first generation Lacetti remains in production and is still sold as the Chevrolet Optra in Canada.

The Buick Excelle sedan assembled and marketed in China features an updated exterior.
so even ur buick is also a Chevrolet / Daewoo , which still even clarifies my point even more , that the A5 is very much likely to be based or at least inspired from the OPTRA/Nubira .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chinacartimes said:
I wasnt mocking, just adding to the conversation. Calm down.
I appologize for the missunderstanding .

Anyone has any idea about this ? or the roots of the A5 ?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
All models in the Chery A-series have the Toledo platform, i.c. A11 (basic Toledo model), A13 (new model, will appear in 2008), A13C (the Fulwin2 concept), A15 (the present Cowin/Qiyun), A18 (the Karry), A21 (this is the present A5), A22 (a A5 station wagon).
The A5 was designed by Kaking (Jiajing), a design company by majority owned by Chery. The designer was Mr. Zheng Shulin, who was hired from Dongfeng. Inspiration by the Daewoo models is not excluded, remember the QQ and Eastar! The difference is that A5 is not a really copy of the Nubira etc.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the wonderfull information , I Know its not a real copy of the Nubira , but why cant they get inspired from something better ??
Daewoo cars , even the new one are still ... dunnno ... not a head turner by any means .

I love the A3 tho , but isnt that TOLEDO chasis getting old already ??

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This is the confusing thing with the Chery internal factory codes. The code of the A3 is M12, indicating it is the M-series of platform. A new platform. It has the platform together with the M14 (the wonderful coupé-cabriolet from Pininfarina, shown at the Shanghai show of 2005) and with the M11 notchback, spyphotos now around at the net, the M11 will (presumably) be unveiled at the Shanghai show in April.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
erik (laofan) said:
This is the confusing thing with the Chery internal factory codes. The code of the A3 is M12, indicating it is the M-series of platform. A new platform. It has the platform together with the M14 (the wonderful coupé-cabriolet from Pininfarina, shown at the Shanghai show of 2005) and with the M11 notchback, spyphotos now around at the net, the M11 will (presumably) be unveiled at the Shanghai show in April.
Well I guess I got used to that , everything in the Chinese Auto is confusing :D
Factory Names / Very Very Very long Engine names and in the end yet STRANGER market names :D

I Know they use their own language in the car names but then again insted of naming it gazillions times here , abroad and on another planet , why not stick to an international name from the beginning , I mean c'mon FULWIN ?? :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well, GM Daewoo never cooperated with Chery to begin with, it was a one-way piracy...

A15 is just a 1st-gen Seat Toledo wearing a Nissan derivative styling. Styling itself is not illegal, but the chassis is illegal.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Like GM at a later date, did VW accept a financial settlement from Chery for what was for all practical purposes, a legal purchase of MK3 platform blueprints from its Spanish Seat subsidiary?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts