China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chery has recalled 1,875 Tiggo SUV models with automatic transmissions, made between March 27 and October 2006.

Faulty wires in the fan control module could cause the cooling water in the engine to overheat after prolonged use.

This apparently is the first "global recall" for a Chinese domestic automaker.

According to the state bureau of quality supervision, inspection and quarantine's (GAQSIQ's) first annual report released October 2005, 21 global and domestic automobile manufacturers had actualized 29 recalls involving 339,696 vehicles.
This calendar year 2006, about 283,500 were recalled by December 19th.

·
Registered
314 Posts
that is a good indication that Cheri is serious about customer well being, such mistakes are common in auto industry, taking responsibility (admit, recall and rectify free of charge) is the absolute right thing to do. shoving it under the bed and hoping the problem would go away is the way i had expected the chiense automanufactuer to deal with such issue, because of the cost involve alone. I admit i been proven wrong and do give credit to Chery because credit is due.

However i will not buy any cherry vehicle because the name reminds me of a horrible (cherry) flavour yogurt. YUK:lol: ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
great post, dragin. how does one access data about recalls in china? is there a website that has regular updates on recalls?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have not seen such a source yet. State agencies' transparency for the benefit of consumers, is still a ways off I'm afraid. Maybe someone can tell us if there's one available in Chinese.

From what I have seen the bureau has changed names a couple of times. Now I believe it's the General Admiistration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine GAQSIQ. Or in some cases I have seen SAQSIQ with the word State substituting for the word General.

Most of the totals that I cited are for recalls of the foreign joint ventures' vehicles. But now, that is changing and the domestics are being held accountable by the Chinese gov't. Changfeng for example had to recall 2,191 of its Liebao 烈豹 SUV's this last September for a leaky (fuel tank to pump) seal.

The recall law went into effect Oct 1, 2004 and puts the automakers at risk of being placed on a "blacklist" and facing a maximum, 30,000-yuan (US$3,600) fine if they are caught trying to cover up problems with their vehicles.

Regarding transparency I just found this redeeming (of gov't) excerpt from a People's Daily article of March 16, 2004. Haven't had the chance to look at the sites yet:

"Automobile owners and users may make complaints online at www. aqsiq.gov.cn and www.qiche365.org.cn, or e-mail their complaints to "[email protected]," administrations sources said. "

1 - 4 of 4 Posts