China Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
In many ways GM's lawsuit on Chery for the QQ was a very smart move; it increased the world's awareness to the infant Chinese automotive industry and the first stage prototype cars that only serve as a training tool for workers and basic engineering.
Chery=Auto Pirate outside of China. I wonder how Chery will ever shake the "auto pirate" reputation.

the current will to export is a push by the Chinese government;
Which is requiring an export license to weed out cheapo chinese cars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Chery=Auto Pirate outside of China. I wonder how Chery will ever shake the "auto pirate" reputation.
The winner always writes the rules, if you want to know exactly what I mean just look into early automotive history from Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach's perspective. If I recall my history correctly the original vehicle schematics of Daimler’s vehicle had been published thought the world and Ford had been sued for copy right infringement over the Quadricycle, forcing him to buy the model back from its owner in order to prove his innocence.

Steel Wheel Automobile 1889

1896 Ford Quadricycle

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Which is requiring an export license to weed out cheapo Chinese cars.
Here is the statement in proper context, I had a feeling you would give this reply so I addressed the comment beforehand.

DOS said:
Before arguing against or for me, we must always remember that the current will to export is a push by the Chinese government; whose highest priority is to save face for itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey, they might have copied (but again it was really the Korean engineers who sold the designs to Chery), but really what was the first Toyota but a copied Chrystler with a copied Chevrolet engine? Copied so well, parts could be swapped between them. Toyota also copied the Jeep and called it the Land Cruiser. It took Toyota 20 years to finally come out with a car of their own design. The first Hyundai's were basically Ford's (but licenced, not copied). This is the only way you catch up in this industry, you have to learn from the other manufactures.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The first Hyundai's were basically Ford's (but licenced, not copied). This is the only way you catch up in this industry, you have to learn from the other manufactures.
Well, the difference being that while licensed production is perfectly legal, what Chery is doing is perfectly illegal outside of China....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, true, but Toyota was not legal...look what they have become. It Hyundai came out with it's first domestically designed car 25 years after there first car. It takes a long time. It seems Chery and Geely are moving much faster. Time will tell how successful they are though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The test was executed by a russian motoring organisation, they used the (freely avaliable) EURO-NCAP specs for their test.

So although the test was not funded by EURO-NCAP, the result is comparable.

The entire test protocol is available for download:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/test_procedures/downloads.php?area_ID=3

These are detailed instructions on building the testing equipment, measuring and interpreting the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed, I'd really like to see video of the Flagcloud.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kNRPRolY6tc is a video of a Mk2 Golf, but I suspect something's screwy, because all of the pics of Mk2 wrecks I've seen, weren't NEARLY that bad. Heck, I was IN one (not head-on or offset, though, it was in the side of the nose) that was at 55 MPH, and it wasn't nearly that bad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
CONSPIRACY ??? Chery QQ Crash Test + GM ???

Hello everyone,

I was just browsing the web for some crash test for Chery QQ, and after a while I realised that something very suspicious might be happening !

I am not going to accuse anyone here, just give you the data I found and you get your own conclusions. Mine, you already know ! :confused:

---------------------------------------

First of all, you all might have seen this pictures somewhere from QQ's crash test:

Please note the stickers in Chery QQ's door and bumper: EuroNCAP.

I would like to remember you, that Chery and GM had some issues about the production of the QQ because of the design that was owned by Daewoo.

Now, the part that disturbs me. When people wrote to NCAP to know WHY THE RESULTS WERE NOT IN THEIR WEBSITE AND THE STAFF IS UNAWARE OF IT??:

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 00:44:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Chery QQ
To: [email protected]

Why did he crash test result for QQ is not published
in the EuroNCAP official website? i saw some photo of
QQ crash test at
http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/18/chery-qq-crash-test/
, so is that test valid?

Sandrine Tordeur <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Good Morning
>
>
>
> Thank you for your interest in Euro NCAP.
>
> We have not tested this car.
>
> All other results are available on our web site:
> www.euroncap.com
> <http://www.euroncap.com/>
>
>
>
> Best regards,
> Euro NCAP

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 04:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Euro NCAP request
To: "Sandrine Tordeur" <[email protected]>

Good Day,

I am sure u saw the link i posted to you, that
photo of Chery QQ clearly seen a sticker with "Chery
QQ EURONCAP" so, if you have not conducted the test,
where does there result and photo come from? i hope
that you can provide more information about it. Thank
You.

--- Sandrine Tordeur <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Could you please let me know where did you found
> this picture?
>
> Thanks and regards

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FW: Euro NCAP request
To: "Sandrine Tordeur" <[email protected]>

Good Morning

here is the web site, it is in Russian
http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2006/n01/crash/1.htm

--- Sandrine Tordeur <[email protected]>
wrote:

Good afternoon,

We thank you for the information.
We were unaware of the test but we are making enquiries.

Best regards,
Sandrine
Euro NCAP
What does that mean !?!? BUT here is the worse part !! CHEVROLET/GM has official comments about the crash test that "EVEN THE NCAP DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT !!"

Here is a official Chevrolet statement :

A Chevrolet spokesman told us: "The QQ results are horrific. China clearly isn't ready to sell cars in Europe." After complaining about copyright infringement, Chevy's parent firm GM made an out-of-court settlement with Chery which agreed not to sell the QQ outside China.
IF NCAP DIDN'T DO THE TEST, THEN WHO DID ?!WAS THAT A STRATEGY TO PREVENT THE QQ FROM BEING SOLD OUTSIDE CHINA BY MAKING A BAD IMPRESSION FOR EVERYONE ??

There are other crash tests around there that show other things, as you can see in the following picture and link:

Crash Test Video

I would like to invite you all to watch the 2006 documentary "Who Killed the Electric car". There, there are many descriptions of GM "methods" to solve their problems.

You all have a nice day !!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: CONSPIRACY ??? Chery QQ Crash Test + GM ???

Sorry, I had somehow Daihatsu Charade in my mind. Already corrected :thumb:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts