China Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Beetle Inspiration: Chery Gets Original With the QQ6 Minicar

Date posted: 07-18-2006

WUHU, China — Chery Automobile of Anhui province in central China has come out with the first compact car it has completely developed on its own.

The QQ6 is a refreshing change from the previous QQ, the subject of much criticism (and litigation) when the company was accused of pirating the design of the Chevrolet Spark.

Chery, China's eighth largest carmaker, is aggressively eyeing overseas markets such as North America, Malaysia and Europe, where its low pricing strategy should be popular. To do this, it wisely realized it has to stop making thinly veiled copies of other makers' vehicles wearing the Chery badge. The company has announced plans to sell five models in the United States starting in 2007, in partnership with Malcolm Bricklin's Visionary Vehicles, and it's possible this could be among them if the plan comes to fruition.

The new car, named the QQ6, was inspired by — but not copied from — the Volkswagen New Beetle. The QQ6 will be available with a 1.1-liter or 1.3-liter engine. It is the only notchback model available in China that is less than 4 meters (157 inches) long while being able to generate as much as 60 horsepower.

It also benefits from a design that allows for a more spacious interior. The QQ6's V-shaped front end with its triangular grille flanked by pairs of oval headlights is a start at a visual identity for the automaker. The QQ6 also has a few items generally only seen here on luxury sedans, such as power mirrors.

The QQ6 is set to arrive in the Chinese marketplace in early August, priced between $5,250 and $6,500.

What this means to you: Whether the QQ6 will be seen on the streets of America soon is an interesting question.

source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116153

·
Registered
459 Posts
What the hell are they talking about? I see no Bettle in the QQ6 what so ever. They must be blind or just stupid. :nono:

·
Registered
21 Posts
proximal said:
...The QQ6 is a cheap, simple car, as was the Beetle.
Only if we are talking about the legendary Beetle, from the 70's, which was discontinued ever in 2003 at VW Mexico plant. The same plant now is the only one of VW ones that produces the current Beetle, sofisticated, stylish, let's say an Image model for VW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I want one.

Please bring it to the United States. With our gasoline now over $3.00 per gallon I think it would sell in great numbers. I hope it could be sold to accept the E-85 Ethanol fuel as well as normal gasoline.

·
Registered
23 Posts
re: last post

Yes, I really would like to see this car in the U.S. for a reasonable price. The Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris and Nissan Versa are just too damned expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
561 Posts
RCtennis3811 said:
You really want this oddball in the US?
well if you consider that as an oddball, then how about the old echo, or the vw beatle they look really odd too, and there also in the us

·
Registered
561 Posts
AXLE said:
What the hell are they talking about? I see no Bettle in the QQ6 what so ever. They must be blind or just stupid. :nono:
well right now when ppl hear "chinese car" they would stare at it untill they see another car out of it. then they would say the chinese copyed.

somewhere i read this reply that the new crossovers headlights copyed the subaru wrx imprezas head lights. i guess that guy just stared too hard and too long at the new crossover.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
the fate of oddballs

What does he mean by "oddball"?

The (first) Beetle was odd looking but great marketing made it a fantastic success:) . As for Echo (Yaku), it too was odd looking and could have been a success, particularly among the college crowd, but the marketing was a disaster:( . Under the hood was so easily serviceable that you could send a 10 year old to change the filters.

Where will QQ6 stack up against those two is anyone's guess. One thing's for sure....it does look odd:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
payback justice

gr8 said:
i dont really get what your trying to say:nono:
The Japanese spent centuries copying Chinese art, architecture and culture. Copies of the Chinese pagoda in the photo can be found all around Japan.

The other photo shows how the Chinese have done a little copying of their own as seen in the photo of the Toyota lookalike door handle on the Chery Tiggo. But now in today's global marketplace the "rule of law" and IPR have become business catchphrases and so Honda and Toyota sue Great Wall and Geely for copying their IP.

I guess its the statute of limitations that prevents China from sueing Japan for all the copying that the island nation did from about the 8th century onward.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts