China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chery's justification for the price is that there are going against luxury brands such as the products Acura, Audi, BMW, Infinity, Lexus, and Mercedes Benz, in which case this price would be a bargain. The problem with there plan is that the people who would considering buying those brands would not consider buying it brand new, seeing it as an alternative to a used car, or something on the line of Volkswagen's Phaeton and Tourag models, while the people who buy premium brands used, only do so in order to compensate for depreciation and any sort of early production bugs. The way I see it Chery is just using the Volkswagen formula in order to use the luxury to push the value. Ultimately, if Chery crossover can combine German performance tuning with Japanese reliability at a price relatively comparable to the Korean manufactures, it could become successful once the image of being a cheap knockoff dies away, being accomplished through awards.

Real_I_Hate_China, although I find your posts rather head strong and arrogant at times, your arguments with others are responsible for drawing me to the forum. What confuses me is how you only post in the General Discussions, Members Only, and Chery boards, which just so happen to have the most post. It would probably boost membership in the forum if you would post in more boards.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't think you can compare the Chery Crossover to the MDX or RX330. The crossover is more like a FWD wagon like vehicle whereas the MDX and RX330 are SUV type vehicles with FWD-biased 4WD.

·
Registered
507 Posts
MDX and RX330 (also Highlander) are NOT SUV's. They are based on the Accord/Odyssey and Camry chasis. They are essetially tall wagons with big tires and high suspension settings, and of course the SUV styling. None of them have the low-range 4WD that makes them real SUV's.

The Chery V5 has the same genes. The only exception is the car like wheels and suspension, and the dowdy styling.

·
Registered
561 Posts
well there isnt really any crossover out there zipping on the streets other than the chrysler pacifica.

·
Registered
135 Posts
gr8 said:
well there isnt really any crossover out there zipping on the streets other than the chrysler pacifica.
The Chrysler Pacifica is just a minivan dressed up to look like a SUV

·
Registered
135 Posts
gr8 said:
isnt that the perfect definition of a crossover?
I was thinking more on the lines that a crossover combines the benefits of a body on frame design with those of a unibody construction, producing a relatively light weight vehicle that performs like a car on road, without sacrificing off road capabilities.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
unibody offroad

Really? What (frameless) unibody crossover, or other vehicle, can perform like a Hummer or other true SUV, offroad?

·
Registered
135 Posts
dragin said:
Really? What (frameless) unibody crossover, or other vehicle, can perform like a Hummer or other true SUV, offroad?
Is there something wrong with a little exaggeration?
If I remember correctly the Audi Q7, the Porsche Cheyenne, and the Volkswagen Tourag classified as crossovers, and the last two perform quite well off road.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
unibodies offroad

Maybe there's something to what DOS you say.... I must admit I need to take a closer look. But I'm skeptical about how much flex can occur on those unibodies before cracking.

Nowadays with crossovers on the rise, the crossover-SUV-MPV distinction has become blurred. Does someone have a definition that might help?

I find that some of the crossovers look like high riding, glorified station wagons from the 60s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dragin said:
Maybe there's something to what DOS you say.... I must admit I need to take a closer look. But I'm skeptical about how much flex can occur on those unibodies before cracking.

Nowadays with crossovers on the rise, the crossover-SUV-MPV distinction has become blurred. Does someone have a definition that might help?

I find that some of the crossovers look like high riding, glorified station wagons from the 60s.
Just to make sure, the Audi Q7, the Porsche Cheyenne, and the Volkswagen Tourag are classified as crossovers, right? Even though the Porsche Cheyenne could perform well on the track and off road, its major handicap has always been its weight. This weight, caused by the chassis reinforcing and off road equipment, brings up the vehicle cost, increases fuel consumption, and hinders performance. With the majority of the SUV market only driving on road, a tall station wagon with all wheel drive is probably the best compromise. So in reality the majority of the Porsche Cheyenne's and Volkswagen Tourag's customer base has just purchased an off road vehicle that they will never use, while still having to pay for its shortcomings.

·
Registered
450 Posts
the moral of the story is that everybody needs a collection of cars, rather than just one car. just like you have different clothes for summer and winter, work and play, you need different cars. only difference is it costs more and takes up more space.

·
Registered
135 Posts
fightingtorque said:
the moral of the story is that everybody needs a collection of cars, rather than just one car. just like you have different clothes for summer and winter, work and play, you need different cars. only difference is it costs more and takes up more space.
You have a very good point, but because most people cannot afford a large car collection, we now have a great collection of high performance passenger cars. If it wasn't for tentativeness we would not have cars like the BMW M5 and X5, the Audi RS6 and Q7, and American cars such as the Dodge Magnum SRT8 and Dodge Ram SRT10.
Speaking about large car collections, fightingtorque, how about showing us pictures of your own?

·
Registered
561 Posts
RCtennis3811 said:
Except the quality won't be as good nor will it have the features that those vehicle have which have drawn customers to them in the first place.
how do you know, do you own the new crossover??, have you seen or drive the car in person??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts