China Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nanjing Automotive Corporation – the new owner of the MG brand – has recently held a press conference in Beijing to present the MG brand credentials and its future development to an eager Chinese media.

The press were treated to a thorough overview of the brand's history, achievements, landmark products, and an insight into the degree of affection that the brand has enjoyed – particularly in Britain.

In a significant gesture, several key personnel from within the two major MG clubs were invited to attend the event, and provide the media with an explanation as to why the MG fanbase is the biggest single group of enthusiasts in the world.

With over 80 years of history behind the MG brand, its heritage is well-known in Europe, but in China the brand and its products remain largely unknown to both the media and car buyers.

With the Chinese car market growing at a phenomenal pace, the acquisition of MG clearly represents a huge opportunity to the NAC organisation, which has ambitious plans for MG, both in its domestic market, and overseas.

In the build-up to the planned commercial launch of the new MG products later in 2007, NAC MG acknowledges that clear communication of the marque's illustrious history will be a core element in its marketing strategy.

It will also be an important factor in its appeal to a new generation of consumers, particularly during the crucial launch period.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mr Monk and Mr Parker in the center of the four gents in the photo!
It all looks very promising and Roger has provided very interesting feedback of his visit!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder if Nanjing MG will make that Xpower here in China?

I would save every last RMB till I could buy one, if they did.

·
Registered
469 Posts
phaeton said:
Does MG really have the biggest group of enthusiast in the world ?
Its a bit hard to prove that phaeton but MG has several very enthusiastic groups and as Mr Monk said in his speech they are not rival groups and a lot of enthausiasts are members of more than one. If you add the groups together than I am fairly sure the answer is yes. It always supprises me how many members there are in the "foreign" clubs in places like Holland and Portugal, then there are literally hundreds of clubs in the USA (For the older cars obviously) and even in places such as New Zealand.

If anyone is interested, here is Mr Monks speech at the Beijing news conference on video: http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2007-01-30/1434248573.shtml (In English with translation)

And for the Chinese speekers only, a very enthausiastic Mr Zhang Xin (MG project director) and Mr Wang Heoliang (NAC Chairman):
http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2007-01-30/1432248572.shtml
http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2007-01-30/1437248575.shtml

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Windy, and, more to the point, whilst there are probably more fans of Porsche or Ferrari, the MG is the one club that represents actual owners, not just wannabe owners! In addition, it straddles, as Windy mentioned, all models from 1925 to 2005 (and hopefully into the future!) whereas many of the other marque clubs such as VW and BMW etc tend to be model specific, and more to the point, are not inter-linked.

We have been fortunate that with the allegiance of the various British Marque and sub-marque clubs over the years such as Triumph, Morris, Austin, Rover, MG etc that a market has emerged for the reproduction of many of the parts, along with a strong voice to protect the motoring heritage. Frankly, it is easier, and very much cheaper, to keep an old MG or Mini, or Morris Minor on the road today than when they were new, or even in comparison against new cars. The British Motoring Heritage Trust and it's business arm remanufacture the body shells for the various models and many parts - even the most obscure items are available over the shelf and are often sourced out of China (which makes me laugh when some of the classic MG owners make fatuous remarks about the new Chinese MGs - there's probably almost as much Chinese in their MGB these days as the new TF due out!

That said, it's not all honey and roses, and owners of the classic MGs are not necessarily enthusiasts of the new MGs, many choosing to own German cars etc and the same is true of many enthusiasts of new MGs, they're not interested in rusty old classics! But the fact that the MGOC claim 40k members, as does the MGCC, and allowing for overlap, plus all the members of the outside-UK affiliates then this number is not unsubstantial!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The problem is, as Martin hints, the much-ballyhooed "biggest single marque club in the world", the MG Moaners Club, has a membership most of which has been at best dismissive of every owner of the brand post-BL, at worst downright hostile toward them. You can find several in the MGOC forums who could barely disguise their glee at the demise of MG Rover. No doubt they are baying for a similar fate to befall NAC-MG.

I note that NAC-MG have not chose the Moaners Club for their interactive web chat with enthusiasts, but rather the MG community at mg-rover.org. That speaks volumes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ash
There maybe more Honda enthusiasts, but as for the actual number of registered members of anyone club, I think MG still wins hands down over any other marque.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There's a good reason the MG has the biggest number of enthusiasts world wide in car clubs. If you join a car club then you normally have a car. Porsche may have more fans but how many fans own a car? MG has made some very fun cars and they were accesebly to the masses. Honda makes excellent cars, but are they as much fun as an MG TF or an MG B? In otherwords MG treads a line as a fun, accessable and sporty brand between Honda and Porsche.

This is why Nanjing have bought MG. They have a great brand, known all over the world. How long will it take Roewe to establish itself like this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts