China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18 December 2006| Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Following an intensive programme of production engineering, localisation of component supply and commissioning of its brand new GBP15m Baoshan engine manufacturing plant near Shanghai, SAIC Motor has announced the start of production of the MG Rover-designed KV6 petrol engine which will power its Roewe brand products.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope they have got the HGF sorted out. And yes, it did happen to the KV6. :lol:

Come to think of it, MGR never seem that bothered about inflicting customers with engines that would often blow their head gaskets. They couldn't even be bothered to appear on a BBC television show that investigated the problem. :nono:

And people wonder why they went under? :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Point in me in the direction of any HGF on KV6 problems following the re-work of the KV6 for use in the 75/ZT. As far as I know this engine is far and away well below the industry average for HGF.

800 - agreed - numerous problems inflicted on customers by the BMW management! K series before 1994 never had HGF problems either, until BMW took-over and refused budget to develop a mid-size engine or properly increase the capacity of the K series.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you will find that BMW were very under impressed by Rover Groups first attempt at developing its own 6 cylinder engine - as were customers of the 825. The KV6 cannot hold a candle to any 6 cylinder BMW engine from the last decade, never mind the present ones.

The KV6 in the 75 is still susceptible to HGF. If you don't believe me ask around.

To suggest that BMW cannot develop engines correctly (or withhold sufficient budgets for development) is rather amusing given the superb engines that are currently available in their range. I am afraid it is Rover who gained the reputation for having unreliable engines, a reputation that the Phoenix management did nothing to address and contributed to the downfall of the company.

As I said, I hope SAIC produce a reliable V6. :nod:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Top 100 most reliable cars in the UK calculated from actual warantee claims: http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/tophundred.html?apc=3128339010848601

In the top 100 I can see:

Rover 45,
Rover 25,
MG TF,
BMW Z3,
BMW 3 Series,
Rover 400,
Rover 75,
BMW X5,
BMW 5-series

in that order - proof that Rovers are more reliable than BMWs!

Can you please stop saying at every opertunity that Rovers are unreliable as it is not true!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Man I never ever saw a ROVER or MG in my whole life !!
Infact I never seen a British made car before here in Egypt !

Except for Jaguars ( S-types / X-types and one XKR ) and an outdated ( If I am allowed to say ) Roles Royce .

even Vauxhall is OPEL here ( Vectra / Astra & Corsa only tho ) .

are there any other british companies ?? ( except for mg rover and aston martin ? )

is the MINI british ? I know its part of BMW now , but I think its originaly british right ??

·
Registered
186 Posts
cryptonx said:
even Vauxhall is OPEL here ( Vectra / Astra & Corsa only tho ) .

The have so many names.
They also use the name Holden.
They just don't know how to call there cars.

·
Registered
481 Posts
but diffrent names with diffrent factories

IE the Opel Vectra / Astra / Corsa here are 100% Made in GERMANY !!
they have a LOCAL CKD factory which makes the old shaped astra / corsa sedan , but they are using some brazilian engines .

what I am asking , is the Vauxhall astra for example , made in the UK ? or is it in Germany ??

The HOLDEN is vauxhall in Australia i think

·
Registered
469 Posts
cryptonx said:
are there any other british companies ?? ( except for mg rover and aston martin ? )

is the MINI british ? I know its part of BMW now , but I think its originaly british right ??
Do you not have Land Rovers? Owned by Ford but a British brand and designed and built in Britain.

The original Mini was British, the new one is built in Britain but owned by BMW and was designed when it was owned by Rover.

Lotus is British.

Bentley is British but foreign owned.

You could say that the new Honda Civic is British as it was designed and is built here.

Toyota, Nissan and Ford all have factories and design centres here.

Then there are a lot of smaller companies - Morgan, Caterham, TVR, Maclaren...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Land rovers are sold here but as a part of JAGUAR egypt !!
they are not doing good tho , even jags as well .. thier price is just not right ... they cost more than 7series bmws and new S class !

Bentley .. never seen one here
the new Honda Civic never made it here till now , we still have the old shaped one , the japaneese , accords , honda city and honda jazz

we also have factories of Hyundai , Nissan , BMW , Mercedes , Daewoo , Fiat , Opel , Lada and even Chery has a CKD factory here .

but they are not manufacturing cars ... these are all CKD factories .. 45% of these cars are Egyptian materials .. propably the useless stuff :p

Anyways thanks for the info , my dream car is a Mini S ...
but it costs more than the new BMW 316i here !!!! $58,000 !!! ( us dollars ! )

·
Registered
325 Posts
In China the cheapest mini is $43,000 USD the most expensive is $57,500USD

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Quite a mark up! And you know what? You still see lots of minis driving around Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Qingdao, Dalian etc. Crazy money.

·
Registered
481 Posts
yepp :D

let me tell you some more prices that would make ur heart stop ...

Suzuki Neo Swift $20,000
VW Passat >> 1.6 << $43,000
Honda City 1.5 > $21,000
Hona Jazz ( Fit in china ) >> $19,500
Toyota Camry 2.4 $89,000

lol the crappy old 1999 Daewoo lanos , localy assembeled. .still costs $11,000 !!

see why chinese cars are selling here ?? I know most of chery cars and other brands ( except geely ) Outperform any LANOS any give day in any given term for the same or less price !!

Chevorlet Aveo , chevys supposingly CHEPAST car
1.5 8v engine , no options >> $14,000

while you have the Chery A5 1.6 with almost any feature u might think off , from remote controls , electronic stuff to abs ebd and airbags and 3 years waranty costs $11,000 .. !!

no the mini is not made out of gold , its just that

1 US Dollars = 5.75 Egyptian Pounds

Imported Cars that are 1600CC and below are subject to 40% customs and 12% taxes , ie 52%

ie if the car costs 10,000 dollas it will be 15,200 without the dealers profit , without the shipping costs , without the licensing and insurance and crap .. it will end up costing $20,000 at least .

the only EXPENSIVE brands with higer engines that are somehow LOGICALY priced are BMWs and Mercedes , but thats only because they are being ASSEMBLED localy at thier CKD factories here .

2006 BMW 316 > $62

·
Registered
121 Posts
how about giving us price comparisons, say between a chinese model vs. the closest equivalent non-chinese name brand? it would be interesting to find out at what price differential a customer is willing to go chinese vs. name brand?

·
Registered
121 Posts
chevy aveo-$14,000 vs. chery A5 1.6-$11,000.
honda jazz-$19,500 vs. chery A5 1.6-$11,000.

price differential of between 21-45%. Are they offered w/ the same equipment-a/c, power everything,etc. at these prices?

·
Registered
325 Posts
chinoy54 said:
how about giving us price comparisons, say between a chinese model vs. the closest equivalent non-chinese name brand? it would be interesting to find out at what price differential a customer is willing to go chinese vs. name brand?
Cherry QQ is 60,000RMB and the Honda Jazz/Fit is 100,000RMB
:eek:

Still see lots of Honda Fits/Jazz's around though. My friend just bought one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
chinoy54 said:
Cherry QQ is 60,000RMB and the Honda Jazz/Fit is 100,000RMB
:eek:

Still see lots of Honda Fits/Jazz's around though. My friend just bought one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
lol

the chinese are with full featuers / equipment

Honda jazz not
Chevy aveo NOT

more $$$ for ful equipment

another example

Toyota Corrolla 1.6 ( yes there are 1.3 and 1.6 here )
Automatic - Full featueres ( No ABS - No Airbags - No Alloys )
$25,000

Brilliance Galena ( Zohnuga Granduer ) 2.4L -
Automatic - Full Features - Abs+ebd - alloy wheels bla bla bla
$24,000

Chery A620 ( Oriental Son ) 2.0 Step-tronic ( abs/airbags/alloys.. ) = $17.500

---------

Suzuki Alto 1.1 L
Full equipment Manual $10,000

Chery QQ 0.8 EZDRIVE full equipment
$8000

Kia Picanto 1.1L
no equipment , basic $9,500

Chery QQ 0.8 EZDRIVE full equipment
$8000

Hydunai Accent 1.4 , basic , manual t. = $14,000
Kia Rio 1.4 , basic, manual = $14,500

Chery A5 1.6 FULL Equipment ( abs/airbags/alloys... )- larger size = $11,500
BYD F3 1.6 Full equipment ( abs/airbags/alloys... ) = $12,000
Chery A11 1.6 Full equipment ( abs/airbags/alloys.. ) =$11,000
Chery A15 1.6 Full equipment ( ( abs/airbags/alloys.. ) = $12,000

·
Registered
121 Posts
so, the chinese brands are offering more features at lower prices, presumably to tempt the potential buyer to go chinese. Next question-are they offering warranty coverage longer than their rivals, or other perks like lower financing rates, guaranteed service vehicles, etc.,etc?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts