China Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to the boards and have a strange request. I am a researcher for National Geographic Magazine in Washington, DC. I am researching China's driving culture, and I'd love to receive insight about it from you.

These are some of the things I'm looking for:
1. Names that Chinese drivers call their cars. Is there a popular trend (names of animals, women's names, etc.)?
2. Any pop songs written about cars lately?
3. Rituals about cars? Trinkets people like to keep in their cars (sort of like air fresheners or things hanging from rearview mirror in US)?
4. Are there any surveys of drivers you can point me too?
5. Are attitudes towards bicycles and public transportation changing, as more people are able to buy their own cars?
6. Women's attitudes toward cars. Does anyone have a photo of the Geely Maple Haixuan?

Thank you very much for your help.
Taryn Salinas

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Taryn, welcome to CCF:

re: question #1

Santana (a VW sedan) has become such a household word that it may become synonymous with car in some circles.

re: question #3

In the tradition of St. Christopher medals and statues in the West, Chinese drivers like to place small images of Chairman Mao at the center of their instrument panels. Pictures of him are hung from the mirror. The same goes for Buddhist images of Kuanyin, Amida, etc..
I guess Knot Craft (with tassles) is the Chinese equivalent of the old fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror.

re: question #4

Quality surveys are done by JD Power, and the Chinese Association of Quality does the China Auto Consumer Satisfaction Index Survey each year.

Here's another survey from:
the Hurun report at: http://www.hurun.net/indexen.aspx

Automobiles and Yachts:
Best Super Luxury Car for Self-Drive
Bentley Continental GT

Best Super Luxury Car For Business
Rolls-Royce Phantom

Best Luxury Sedan
Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Best Roadster
BMW Z Series

Best Performance Car
BMW M Series

Best Super Luxury Performance Car
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Best Luxury SUV
Porsche Cayenne

Best Executive Car
Audi A6

Best Business Car
Buick GL8

Best Coupé
BMW 6 Series

Best Luxury Roadster
Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Note:
BMW was voted the top luxury brand by China’s richest individuals, according to new research into the lifestyle of China 's emerging elite. Second came Louis Vuitton, followed by Mercedes-Benz and Rolex.

Also check out this website: http://www.seeisee.com/index.php/sam/2006/10/31/p157

re: #5

Bicycles, and the rights of bicycles to travel certain streets, is becoming controversial. There are movements organizing for and against. In recent years bicycles have been banned from some city's streets. Other cities take pride in preserving their bicycle lanes.
Cities like Beijing are outlawing commuter cars on some days so people are forced to ride the bike or take the bus.

re: #6
Surveys show that women love their Chery QQs. Not to be outdone, Geely hopes to introduce a minicar with a nose that resembles a Panda.

Here's some (little) photos of the Haixuan, I think.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
many chinese young drivers keep cute anime type items in their car to keep a theme, this culture is also strong in Japan. They want their cars to be cute like QQ drivers feel mostly this way and therefore i wouldn't be surprised if they had names for these cars....in terms of attitude about cars, i think its seen as hip and high status to own a car in mainland china...and that you are of higher sttus than a person with a bike ..

welcome to chinacarforums taryncos

also please search the forums as there might be answers to ur questions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a car i spotted when last in guangzhou
look through the windscreen in the first pic and you will see many ornaments etc fitted to the dash - not a mod id make in a hurry but hey

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rally Red Lancer GTS said:
That last car is a gussied-up Honda Fit.
Its a Chinese Ricer is what it is. Do I see both Mugen and TRD emblems on the front? I guess poseur kids aren't limited to the US, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts