China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the name of chinese cars seems ackward sometimes, like the eastar and easter, or the QQ, even the name chery itself. I know the chery chevy stuff, but i think chinese cars really need to be more creative with the name of their cars. I speak chinese myself and i understand the car name in chinese if i translate it myself, i mean selling feng yun (i suck at pingying but you know what im talking about) in china would work but selling windcloud wont work in north america. and it really gets me when companies sell cars with letters and numbers like the bmw x5, or mazda 3, and mazda 6. i mean ppl be creative, make names like gallardo or enzo. Im living in canada now, me and my friends frequentlly laugh at english subtitles in chinese movies. i think if chinese cars dosnt give good names to their cars it would just cause more laughing to occure, and less vehicals sold.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So you love italian names, huh?

Bravoooo.....~

·
Registered
450 Posts
chery wasnt a rip of of chevy. the company is called qirui in chinese and was supposed to be called cheery in english but it was mis-spelled. then someone said, don't worry about the mistake, cherry is a good car name as well. it wasn't until too late that it became evident that they were now an r short instead of an e short.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Chery or Cherry sounds like a chick's car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Chinese names. Let's get that straight first.

The problem is with the Western society. They have long made fun of anything and everything that sounded Asian, and at the same time, "romanticized" everything that sounded western, specifically Italian and French - and to some extent, Spanish and English.

"Enzo" sounds cool? It's just a person's name. "Diablo"? It means the devil; but can you call the car "muo-gui" which is the devil in Chinese? Oh heck no.

Here's the sad part, even the Asians bought into the notion that Western language sounds cool and Asian language sounds like crap. It's really sad indeed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, I think Chinese automakers should learn from our Japanese and Korean counterparts.

JP: TOYOTA, HONDA, Subaru

KR: Hyundai, Daewoo, SAMSUNG, Ssangyong

They are all romanized Japanese/Korean pronounciations.

A westerner might pronounce them really bizzare, but that's the langauge differences.

CHERY? what is it, some fruit?
Geely? what the hell, another candy company?

Great Wall is okay~

Brilliant.......sounds like a fat guy got stuck in a row of chairs.

To me, the coolest language is Wu dialect~ mandarin sounds okay and proper, Korean with seoul accent and Japanese with an Osaka accent are fine........pretty kakkoi anyaway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the name of Mei-Re-Bao sucks!!!

It's a 2-door sport car of Geely, a lousy car at all, but it's has a very wild sexy name, "Mei-Ren" means "beautiful girl" with lust, "Bao" means "jaguar", What's wrong with Geely's owner Li-Shu-Fu!? Does he want sexy in this car? He was a farmer without education, so he has such bad taste.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey hey hey, what's wrong with being a farmer? I mean 100 years ago technically it's like 99.99% Chinese were peasants.

And for your information, "Mei-ren" can be viewed not necessarily a "beautiful woman" but a simple adjective "Beautiful". therefore a proper English equivelant would be:"Beautiful Jaguar(female)" .

·
Registered
126 Posts
gr8 said:
the name of chinese cars seems ackward sometimes, like the eastar and easter, or the QQ, even the name chery itself. I know the chery chevy stuff, but i think chinese cars really need to be more creative with the name of their cars. I speak chinese myself and i understand the car name in chinese if i translate it myself, i mean selling feng yun (i suck at pingying but you know what im talking about) in china would work but selling windcloud wont work in north america. and it really gets me when companies sell cars with letters and numbers like the bmw x5, or mazda 3, and mazda 6. i mean ppl be creative, make names like gallardo or enzo. Im living in canada now, me and my friends frequentlly laugh at english subtitles in chinese movies. i think if chinese cars dosnt give good names to their cars it would just cause more laughing to occure, and less vehicals sold.
Well, I think it's a very kind suggestion. A good name is necessary for a good beginning, and a good beginning is half done.

Chery does sound a little bit strange in some countries, it may sound like a radio station to French people and QQ would be even worse:D . it's really hard work to find good universal names for Chinese cars. A name works in one place doesn't necessarily work in the rest of world.

The computer maker ''LianXiang'' seems to be quite clever when it found "Lenovo" to replace its old name ''Legend". This should be a good exemple.

·
Registered
126 Posts
karman said:
It's a 2-door sport car of Geely, a lousy car at all, but it's has a very wild sexy name, "Mei-Ren" means "beautiful girl" with lust, "Bao" means "jaguar", What's wrong with Geely's owner Li-Shu-Fu!? Does he want sexy in this car? He was a farmer without education, so he has such bad taste.
Perhaps we both have had the experience of being looked down upon in life, haven't we? It wasn't an happy experience I guess right?:) Personnally, I think Li Shufu is a clever and excellent business man, his Geely receives no government help but it launches new models every year and we can see progresses in its every new make. In contrary, I think it should be those mighty state companies like SAIC and FAW who should feel shamed in front of this farmer entrepreneur.

When we look at those "lousy" Chinese cars, it's a better idea not to give a immediate judge, but to think first how many years these companies have been in business.

·
Registered
198 Posts
firefox said:
The computer maker ''LianXiang'' seems to be quite clever when it found "Lenovo" to replace its old name ''Legend". This should be a good exemple.
I second that.

Lenovo does sound better than Legend.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i heard in the vvcars site that chery was sued by GM, and malcome bricklin just let it go by, he said something like "ok they win, the last thing i have to do is change 250 signs". then there was a rumor that chery is going to arrive in US called Visionary or something. dones anyone know anything that can follow up on chery's new name?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got to say Li-Shu-Fu is an excellent farmer entrepreneur

firefox said:
Perhaps we both have had the experience of being looked down upon in life, haven't we? It wasn't an happy experience I guess right?:) Personnally, I think Li Shufu is a clever and excellent business man, his Geely receives no government help but it launches new models every year and we can see progresses in its every new make. In contrary, I think it should be those mighty state companies like SAIC and FAW who should feel shamed in front of this farmer entrepreneur.

When we look at those "lousy" Chinese cars, it's a better idea not to give a immediate judge, but to think first how many years these companies have been in business.
He is smart, he is shrewd, he is successfuly right now, but he has the shortcomings of Chinese farmer, and that may jeopardy his future. Look at the Honda Soichiro, he call his car CIVIC, down to the earth. "To be humble is to be pround", that's the old Chinese wisdom, which it seems no one can understand in China nowadays.

Li-Shu-Fu really need to focus on his cars rather than to make something with a sexy name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I think that Chinese manufacturers should pick the names more carefully. I’m from Ukraine and in my country it’s extremely difficult to sell a car which name is GoNow because it sounds similar to Ukrainian word that means “crap” (govno).
Much worse is situation with name Zaebao which sounds very close to Russian rude word which literally means “You’ve fucked me up”.
I’m not joking :-(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Mole :thumb:

What Chinese makes do you have in Ukraine ? Do they sell well ?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Mole said:
Yes, I think that Chinese manufacturers should pick the names more carefully. I’m from Ukraine and in my country it’s extremely difficult to sell a car which name is GoNow because it sounds similar to Ukrainian word that means “crap” (govno).
Much worse is situation with name Zaebao which sounds very close to Russian rude word which literally means “You’ve fucked me up”.
welcome to chinacarforums Mole :thumb:

are you a mole from the ukraine gov't trying to find info on chinese cars:lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mole said:
I totally agree.

The Chinese equivelance for Peugeot was first translated by Hongkies, thus in Cantonese and it sounded at least acceptable for cantonese speaking people. The fact that we use the same Chinese character soon proved it was not a great translation. In Wu language and I believe as well as in a lot other southern dialects, it sounds exactly the same as "Whore" only with insignificant tonal difference, in mandarin it sounds less close, but you can still feel the bitch flavor.

Imagine buying a car named "BITCH"........."Salope".....

that probably helped Peugeot's defeat by Volkswagen in China 15 years ago. Peugeot 505 was indeed a decent car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts