China Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I was curious if someone from you could clear up a question I have. Is there any Chinese manufacturer, who uses a logical concept of entiteling their car range? :confused: The following examples may precise my question:
  • 1: Cars, named by size: Citroen uses a range of cars, starting with the C1 (smallest model) up to the C8 (biggest model). Hyundai will follow this example and is about to rebrand their nameplates in Europe from Atos, Getz, Sonata etc. to i10, i20, i30 etc. Another example for this idea might be BMW, who is known to name their cars according to its size: Small cars have small numers and big cars have big numbers (1, 3, 5 etc.). They use odd numbers for their volume models und even numbers for their niche models). BMW adds the size of the dwept volume to this number - this is the way they name their cars. Mazda, Peugeot, Audi, Pontiac, Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Saab use(d) a comparable system.
  • 2: Cars, named by concept: VW used different wind-types to name their cars (Golf, Passat, Shirocco etc.), Seat used to name their cars according to places in Spain (Ibiza, Cordoba, Alhambra, Toledo, Marbella etc.). Fiat usually uses simlpe italian words (one = Uno, point = Punto, form =Tipo) or numbers (500 = Chinquecento, 600 = Seicento etc.). To my kknowledge, 1980s/90s Lancias were named according to the Greek alphabet (Gamma, Delta, Kappa).
  • 3: Cars, named by phonetic characteristics: European Toyota model nameplates usually follow the concept of endling with "...is" (Yaris, Auris, Avensis), Opels usually end with an "...a" (Corsa, Astra, Vectra/Insignia) and the major Skoda models with an "...ia" (Fabia, Octavia).
  • 4 Cars, named by no logical system: I know a bit about cars and I always wondered, why I see no system within the nameplate range of Renault (Clio, Megane, Scenic, Vel Satis, Avantime), Ford Europe (Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, S-Max) or Honda (Logo, Jazz, Accord, Legend). The same goes for Porsche, Chrysler, Ford (US), Suzuki, Daihatsu, Kia and recent Lancias.

So besides Roewe, who (which?) follows the idea to names it cars by size (550, 750 >> example 1 above), and the recent FAW concepts (A, B, C followed by a number >> same system) I don´t see anyone having a convincing system of naming their cars. Most other Chinese cars names follow example 4 above. Maybe you have an idea, which Chinese car manufacturer uses a concept or comparable to name their cars?

·
Registered
807 Posts
well i can tell u definaetly chery doesnt
2003– QQ3 (codename S11) — 0.8L & 1.1L city car
2003– Cowin/Flagcloud (旗云) (codename A15) — 1.6L sedan
2003– Oriental Son/Eastar (东方之子) (codename B11) — mid-size sedan
2005– Tiggo (瑞虎) (codename T11) — 1.6L & 2.0L & 2.4L compact SUV
2006– A5 (codename A21) — 1.6L & 2.0L sedan
2006– V5 (codename B14) — 2.0L & 2.4L minivan
2006- QQ6 (codename S21) — 1.1L & 1.3L city car
2006- Karry a small panel van.
2007- A1 (codename S12) - 1.3L city car

and geely doesnt either

Xiali TJ7300-based
1998– HQ/Haoqing/Haoqing SRV (豪情/豪情SRV) — 1.0 L & 1.3 L & 1.5 L hatchback
2000– MR/Merrie (美日) — hatchback
2002— MR/Uliou/MS (优利欧)
2004– PU/Rural Nanny/Urban Nanny
2002– BL/Beauty Leopard/BO(美人豹) — 1.5 L coupe
Daewoo-designed
2005– CK/Freedom Cruiser — 1.3 L & 1.5 L & 1.6 L sedan
2005– Geely 美日之星 — 1.1 L & 1.3 L hatchback
2006– MK/LG/KingKong(金刚) — 1.5 L & 1.6 L sedan
2006– FC/Vision(远景) — 1.8 L CVVT sedan

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
As Chinese car makers venture out into the global marketplace it's important for them to choose appropriate and attractive names. It's obvious that Toyota did its homework very well in advance, and chose names that Westerners could be very comfortable with: Corolla, Crown, Supra, Camry, etc..

Perhaps the Chinese car makers should each put together a group of English-speaking "overseas Chinese" which could act as an advisory panel on the selection of appropriate and appealing names.

Names like Oriental Son, Beauty Leopard, or Deer are not likely to succeed. Lifan was smart to move away from names like "Didi" and "Dudu" and into numbers. But some people find word names more appealing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Car names are interesting, indeed. My current car, a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, has a name that gets me to thinking sometimes, what is a Lancer to Mitsubishi? A sword, owing it's heritage to the Japanese sword history?

Or, is it supposed to mean a car that cuts through the competition? Yep, Americans like word car names. Although there are some that much prefer number names. It's kind of a mixed bag.

For instance, I'm not at all opposed to the name of one of the new BYD all-electric's, e6. Sounds fine to me. It's the car and it's build quality, looks, reliability and overall package soundness that is most important to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, Chinese manufacturer should definitely hire some overseas Chinese in order to avoid silly name.

Here are a few names that sound really poor in French:
- QQ (=cucul, "kitsch")
- Geely (=guili, "tease")
- Byd (=bide, "belly" or "flop")
- G.A.G. (=gag, same as in english)
- Kula (='cula, "assf[censored]"):eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Joest said:
Yes, Chinese manufacturer should definitely hire some overseas Chinese in order to avoid silly name.

Here are a few names that sound really poor in French:
- QQ (=cucul, "kitsch")
- Geely (=guili, "tease")
- Byd (=bide, "belly" or "flop")
- G.A.G. (=gag, same as in english)
- Kula (='cula, "assf[censored]"):eek:
i think they sound the same in english and french, how can they sound different?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Joest,
great post you are right!
This reminds me of the old Ford Nova "gaffe".
No Va in Spanish means Dont go or dont run, it wasn's the the most apeeling car name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts