1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: Willowvale and Quest (Zimbabwe)

Wlillowvale Motor Industries of Zimbabwe resumed production, after lying idle for nearly half-a-decade, with the SKD assembly of the Grand Tiger pickup, which is being marketed with a BAIC badge (Yes, BAIC markets the Grand Tiger in some countries).....
It's interesting to see BAIC, the parent of light truck maker Foton, marketing Zhongxing Auto's pickup. I guess that "conflicts of interest" don't necessarily apply here, and who knows, this may be a hint that yet another acquisition by BAIC, is now in the making.
Looking back, Beijing Jeep did help in marketing the Zhongxing Admiral in Russia, and Zhongxing has in the past used BAIC-made engines.

·
Registered
462 Posts
...and bakkies...
Can you tell us what "bakkies" are?

According to mexiconewsdaily.com (6/4/16), BAIC has 30 manufacturing plants in Asia and Africa, some of which operate through a joint venture with Hyundai.

As for that earlier production in South Africa, from 2012 BAIC entered a JV with South Africa Industrial Development Corp (IDC ), for an SKD assembly of Hiace-based minivan called Sasuka for taxi use. Planned capacity was 9,600,with an investment of $17.5 million.
Also seen at: www.bdlive.co.za (12/9/15)

·
Registered
462 Posts
How about Lifan, did they ever build that plant with Effa in Brazil, in 2012, for planned production of the 320 and 620?
Or SAIC-MG, are they doing CBU vehicle production in Longbridge?

As for greenfield plants under construction, I understand Foton is to build a plant in India with Maharashtra Industrial Development Corp. And, JAC is said to be building a plant for EVs in Ciudad Sahagun, Hidalgo State, Mexico. Is this correct?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lifan did not proceed with the Brazilian plant. Lifan has a CKD outfit (Besiney) in Uruguay from where cars have been sold in Brazil. This was an Effa factory but after some disagreement with Effa, Lifan is now running it. The plant was idle for more than a year since December 2015 and has just recently resumed operations. Batches of cars are now being prepared for export to Argentina.
A disagreement with Effa?.......that rings familiar, as Lifan also ran into a disagreement in Ethiopia, with Holland Car Plc, back in 2009.
When the smoke cleared, JAC took up with Holland to assemble its vehicles there.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Iran is the number one destination of exported Chinese vehicles, and now I guess the same could be said of Chinese auto assembly operations.

In addition to the 14 shown above, are five additional Chinese makes which have been assembled in Iran:

Changfeng - Kerman Khodro
Zotye - Rigan Khodro
Huanghai - Azar Motor
Hawtai - Kerman Khodro
Zhongxing

Corrections or additions are welcome....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Jincheng of Qinhuangdao, Hebei lost in a suit brought by Brilliance Jinbei in 2005-2006. But apparently it continues to produce this model, which is a duplicate of others that have been produced by companies like Tianqi Meiya, Great Wall, BAW,and Jiangnan.
I seriously doubt it has a license from Jinbei or Toyota, and thank you Pal, I didn't know it continues to be exported.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts