China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

What would be the procedure to obtain a Chinese driving licence for a Malaysian working there?
Does having an International Drivers Permit worthwhile? Is it reconised there for someone holding a 'Z' visa?

Really appreciate any advice i could get as I would be going to Yantai next month.

Thanks in advance

Godbless
:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
A Chinese chauffeur and a maid cost only a few hundred dollars per month, so why even bother driving yourself?

You would be in China where the local labor is cheap; take advantage of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Anyone has experienced with this company?
china-driving-license dot com

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't listen to the guy above with a "Hate" in his name, obviously he never lived in China. driver and maid will run you into 2 thousand rmb a month.

You can actually convert your foreign drivers license into Chinese drivers license.
Go to the local Police office or Bureau of Motor vehicles. they can usually switch your foreign drivers license for you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mandarin_orange said:
Don't listen to the guy above with a "Hate" in his name, obviously he never lived in China. driver and maid will run you into 2 thousand rmb a month.
2000 RMB = $258 USD. Hater was correct, make sure you both are not talking apples to, er, mandarin oranges....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
A Chinese chauffeur and a maid cost only a few hundred dollars per month, so why even bother driving yourself?

You would be in China where the local labor is cheap; take advantage of it.
Un chauffeur chinois et une femme de ménage aussi, c'est putain magnifique, c'est génial la vie, t'es trop fort mon ami, vraiment impressionant. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think China recognize international driving licence. Maybe you have to take the examination established sepcially for foreighners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Googled this out, in Chinese though
ht tp://auto.people.com.cn/GB/14556/5292075.html

Basically it's saying that since China is not a signatory country of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, international driver's license is not recognized in China. Somehow China and Belgium recognize each other's driver's license through some kind of treaty.

---
A lot of foreign citizens in China just use their driver's license from their original country. I've also heard of a couple cases where Chinese citizens working/studying in US use US license in China temporarily. As the regulations on foreigners driving motor vehicles seem to differ by province/municipality, some may not even have such regulations, so you may or may not get some trouble doing that.

Obtaining a driver's license in China also seem to differ on a provincial or even city level. My guess is, in a lot of places they don't even have the facilities to administer proper exams for foreigners. Here's a piece of good news for you (again in Chinese), where some 30 people from different countries took and passed an exam in another city of Shandong to get their driver's licenses. Hopefully you can do the same in Yantai.
ht tp://www2.sdnews.com.cn/soc/2006-3/28_184897.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been living in China for 10 years now.
Getting a drivers license here is just a formality, however like many things in China is is a bit of a bother.

After arriving and settling in, decide whether you really want to drive here!

Then if the answer is still, I do!

First get your existing drivers license notarized (Gongzhengming), this will cost a few hundred RMB and will be done at the local Notary Office ( almost every large city here has one).

Then take this, together with a few passport photos of yourself to the local drivers license issuing office. Fill out the forms and book the test.

Complete a basic medical.

Complet test. The test will be a written one - fairly easy and basic.
Few fail the test, then go and have your license issued (usually valid for 6 years.

Driving in China without a valid Chinese drivers license is an offence.

You may find that in some cities the procedure for issuing the license is a little different.

Finally, Remember "When in Rome do as the Roman's do". here dings and scratches are generally solved by the side of the road, and in cash.

Best of luck.
Limake

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow,...this sounds like china already, everyone has a different version. Well some are more logical and thanks very much for all the input. At least it prepares me a bit better when i am actually there in Yantai.

Thanks all
God bless

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just called Qingdao's equivlent of the DMV to see about finally getting my CN license - Ive been using my British license with no problems until now, the police look at it, I play dumb - "officer, I do not speak a word of Chinese" They usually let me go on my way without too much fuss.

Except my Brit License is going to expire in April, so I have to get a Chinese one ASAP as I'm probably not going to the UK for a while. The method of getting a license is easy, get your passport translated by the special translation dept at the government translation centre - In yantai I do not know where this is, but in QD I know, then you take it to the Che Guan Suo - Department of Automobiles where they will do something magical that you have to pay for and voila - you get your Chinese license, they actually give you a test, but the lady in the centre told me she would give me the answers too, just to copy across onto the answer sheet!

However, When I came to China my goal was to learn Chinese to the following:
a) Pick up chicks - done that, married one.
b)Handle myself in Chinese in financial institutions i.e. banking, mortgages etc - done that.
c)Handle myself in hospitals - helped my friend - in the maternity ward and when I broke my arm the other week.

My goals are complete! One extra goal I never set myself was to learn to drive in China. The instructors don't speak English and it would be a language test far greater than sitting in a University room taking that HSK/Chinese proficiency exam.

I'd also like to take some driving lessons with an instructor - just to get fully orientated with the rules of the road here - Ive driven here in China plenty of times but usually in rental cars, (always Chery!) but never quite sure what the rules are, (other than every man for himself!) It really is nothing compared to the UK, everythings in the wrong place in the car for a start! Learning to drive here costs 3200RMB + 100RMB for what UK'ers would call a preliminary license and then 200 for the road test. Simple enough. I will do my Chinese license from scratch, I have enough time! An instructor told me it will take around 50 days in total to learn how to drive, seeing as I can already drive it wont be that long for me - probably half including all of the time running around from department to department. I start after Chinese New Year, late February.

Wish me luck. If I fail (impossible!!!! - I am worried about that written Chinese Theory test though!) I can always take my British license and get a Chinese one anyway!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tiggo said:
Un chauffeur chinois et une femme de ménage aussi, c'est putain magnifique, c'est génial la vie, t'es trop fort mon ami, vraiment impressionant. :lol:
C clair!
mé franchement g comprends pas pourkoi il cherche tout le temps à écraser la chine et TOUT ce qui est en rapport avec la chine:confused: chaque fois ya une chance il en profite et ça n'arrête jamais... :nono:

·
Registered
176 Posts
firefox said:
C clair!
mé franchement g comprends pas pourkoi il cherche tout le temps à enmerder la chine et TOUT ce qui est en rapport avec la chine:confused: chaque fois ya une chance il en profite et ça n'arrête jamais... :nono:
L'achat, le Français a vraiment mordu le grand dans la guerre mondiale deux, hein ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey hi Chinacartimes,

Well that is some good piece of information. Thanks very much. I guess in Yantai they might probably have their little own set of rules which will differ again from place to place. Well thats china anyway.
Have fun with your driving test!

God bless

·
Registered
1 Posts
BrianJ said:
Hi Guys,

What would be the procedure to obtain a Chinese driving licence for a Malaysian working there?
Does having an International Drivers Permit worthwhile? Is it reconised there for someone holding a 'Z' visa?

Really appreciate any advice i could get as I would be going to Yantai next month.

Thanks in advance

Godbless
:)
Hey, What I would suggest is you better not try to get it done by yourself... thats my personal experience. it's just too much trouble, and you got to visit so many departments as well as a knowledge test + body check is required. they are extremely strick on all these...
i tried it.... but not working...
i got mine done through an agent, they have a website, it's chinesedrivelicense.spaces.live.com

if you wish, probably you can get them to help you out. not expensive. i think it worths, coz save up so many troubles.~!:thumb:

·
Registered
450 Posts
one thing to note - china, like france, prohibits you from using the highway until you've held the license for a year. I got caught out on this - I'd held my uk license for almost 20 years but my chinese one less than a year. traffic cop didn't agree that the two are equivalent. anyway, he let my chinese colleague take over the driving and off we went.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts