China Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with the above mentioned "Company" is,that they replace you to do the Computertest.A Test is required in China,but you will not know where "you" passed it.If something is happened and they check you and asked how you got the License and your answer is:" From an Agent by post" it is like you have no License.

Professionell and well known is chinadrivinglicense.com,they are here in China and accompany you from the beginning to the end,so you will know everything.Believe me,the feeling to pass it by yourself is better,they have professionell Translator to help you ;-)..if you understand what I mean.

See you on the road! Torsten - a German living in ZhuHai

·
Registered
47 Posts
How can you trust these Chinese companies that offer you a driving license "under the table". In any case they are illegal and providing an illegal service. So, if they just steal your "deposit", what will you do ? Complain to the police (that you participated in breaking the law in China)?
On the other hand, if you don't have a "residence permit", you cannot apply for a Chinese driving license. To get a "residence permit", you need either a work visa or a student visa. It's a real catch 22 for some us here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just got my driving license. I went to one of these little local driving school shops. They did all the paperwork running for me and took 800RMB all together. Then I used this tool DLQ-Swotter ( ubicomputing.de ) for learning the questions, because they had no book with the english questions for me. Learning the english questions is much better than having the chinese questions and a translator, which I tried before. After some days learning I made the computer test in english in Xili. Not too difficult.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Enjoy driving the roads and remember to signal your intention to change lanes before changing lanes. Here in the U.S. drivers think it's cool to just change lanes without putting their turn signals on. An irritating trait that evidently is borne out of their distrust of how other drivers will react to that signal(other drivers will speed up so they can't get in the lane they want to change to so they just skip the turn signal altogether!). Oh, just another sign of man's inhumanity to man, and one more sign that we're in the last days of this system of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a foreign licence, you basically just need to do a knowledge test (in English). There is a bank of 1500 questions of which you have to answer 100; they give you the answers so you mug up on them before hand. Then you learn how really to drive in China, which is nothing like anywhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a dated post but in the interest of NEW PEOPLE from 2013 and beyond asking this question....I can offer the following:

1) You cannot drive in China on your international DL or a home country DL. Driving in China without a valid DL issued in China = 15 days in jail.

2) You need to study from about 1700 questions. Out of those....100 are chosen by the computer and you have 45-minutes to answer them on a computer. The test room is monitored by traffic police and civilian aides who observe you via cameras at the desk, behind you, and over head. You need a 90 or better out of 100 in order to pass. If you score an 88 or better and FAIL you can re-take the test TODAY. If you fail that....there is always next week and after the 2nd attempt...you get to pay the fees again....The fees are less than 100 RMB.

3) You do NOT need to take a driving test if you bring with you, your current valid DL from your own country. In my case, it did not need to be notarized.

4) The test can be taken in several languages. HOWEVER.....with translation....it sucks to be you because nothing makes sense so if you can read, write, and speak Chinese...it is 100 times easier.

If you pass the Chinese DL is issued on the same day.
You need several photos 1 by 1 inch I believe, at least mine were.
They will fingerprint you. (Likely a good idea in case of a death.)
The actual Chinese DL itself is a 2 piece document. One portion has your photo, address, DOB, and nationality on it and the other is the golf score sheet of 12 points...and watch out for the damn orange lights since you will be cited and lose 3 points if the camera catches you in the middle of an intersection on a caution light....EVEN THOUGH the exam says it is okay to proceed...NOT.

My wife and I have a car.
I have 2 kids and live here full-time and we still use taxis and the subway for anything in the city. Parking is a pain in the ass. Traffic congestion is nothing short of psychotic. Many road signs are not clearly marked or they conflict with maps. A GPS is a must in China.

I was a bit excited to be able to drive again and when I got my Chinese DL...it was exciting for about....15-minutes and then it was like sitting in the front seat of a roller coaster with the HOLLY SHIT factor on the last click before the drop. Driving in China is DANGEROUS. You can EASILY be killed and I have a professional driving background and even with over 30+ years of experience....its not fun.

Highway driving is a breeze. There are very few cars.
In the city....forget about it.

Here is a link for a video I made about driving in China.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB6TMCJqQuI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB6TMCJqQuI[/ame]

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Temporary Drivers License in China for visitors:

Fesco 北京外企人力资源服务有限公司 offers services for holders of foreign driving licenses, including temporary licenses:
• any kind of visa less than 3 months valid
• registration temporary residence 派出所临时住宿登记
• foreign driving license
• passport
• 4 pictures (彩色、一寸白色背景)
• 5 working days
• rmb 450
• restriction is that you are only allowed to drive in rental cars!

When the validity of the visa is longer than 3 months, the driver needs to take the exams...

Contactperson: 李淼
Tel: 010-67771091

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.