China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Chinese motorcycles are coming, whether or not anyone is ready for them. Those soft sales figures many manufacturers have been reporting may be a sign of things to come if the Chinese have their way. China offers an enormous market for anything you might be selling but tariffs on imported goods make selling into that market extremely challenging if not impossible. The potential size is what keeps drawing attention from companies around the world but the Chinese would rather produce their own products and production often begins with copying. There has been an endless stream of companies suing the Chinese for outright piracy, in the case of software, to trademark infringement and copying of designs. Honda, Toyota and General Motors have all sued Chinese companies for blatant product copies that are sold under Chinese brand names with logos designed to look like the originals. They even sell a BMW clone, too, along the lines of the Ural. Companies at the Indianapolis dealer show have mentioned how it’s common to see Chinese visitors snapping loads of pictures at every product display, I guess it’s a way of compressing the time from design to production, no design needed, just copy.
The major Chinese motorcycle company is Zongshen, a huge operation that annually turns out 1,000,000 motorcycles and 2,000,000 motorcycle engines, among other products. The motorcycles are 250cc and smaller, reflecting the motorcycles used in China, but they are planning to move into larger displacement categories with a 1000cc four cylinder engine and that’s where the rest of the world needs to be ready. If that production is aimed at export, low cost motorcycles will be flooding the market. That may be good for riders looking for cheap transportation but it looks bad for established motorcycle companies.

Zhuzhou Nanfang Motorcycle Co., Ltd., located in Zhuzhou City, Hunan Province, China, sold bikes under two brands: Nanya and Nanfang.

Nanfang NF150-2A

Nanfang NF150-9 Motorcycle

Nanya NY125-5A

Nanya NY100T-3A

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's a cheap Korean motorcycle company in the US already, so it should be no shock to others when the Chinese motorcycles arrive.

Presentation of Jiangrun
Chongqing Jiangrun motorcycle manufacturer Co., Ltd is located in Tea garden area, Nan'an district, Chongqing China and is a medium size motorcycle manufacturer of dirt bikes, street bikes, cub bikes and racing bikes with engine displacement ranging from 50cc-250cc. Moreover, our business expand to ATVs, tricycles, engines and general machine as well. Our inventory features over 60 models. We export our products to more than 40 countries around the world and our main markets are South Asia, Southwest Asia, Africa, South America and Central America.
Our factory occupies more than 10,000 square meter, with at least 4 production lines and packing lines. Now the company has more than 200 employees in total.
Product: Jiangrun delivers OEM products, including cub motorcycle, street motorcycle, off road motorcycle, racing motorcycle and parts etc. We will try our best efforts to meet every demand of our clients.
After-sales-service: Jiangrun recognizes that after-sales-service is very important and we are constantly looking at how we can best serve our customers. Innovation and development are core concepts in our organization. The driving force behind our innovative ideas is to satisfy our customer’s needs. Look for our innovative ideas in the very near future!
Good design, High quality, stable performance, fast delivery and reputation are our obligation and the key concepts in the development of our company. These characters make us gain lot’s of customers around the world. We warmly welcome customers to visit our company and factory.
http://www.jiangrunmotor.com/

·
Registered
19 Posts
But the bikes from China will be well under Hyosong's current pricing!
If Zongshen comes out with the inline 4 1000cc or even a inline 600cc sport bike Hyosong's V-twin copy of the Suzuki 650 v-twin will be in big trouble. Hyosong does have a 1000 v twin coming I think but the market is more inline then V for sport bikes.

Info about Geely Motorcycle:
ZHEJIANG GEELY MING INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD is one of the motorcycle manufacturers that successfully designed nd produced deluxe scooters in earliest time. It enjoys a fame of " Kingdom of Scooters ". The company has a product range from 50cc to 250cc. 132 various types of scooter / motorcycle models and matching petrol engines. Annual production capacity has reached 600 ,000 units. Geely series models have fashionable appearance, good performance and economic selling price, they are in favour of the riders and sales agents at home and abroad. Geely Group Zhejiang Motorcycle Co.,
Ltd. imported the advanced CAD design technology, it uses high precision numerical controlled processing center and special machine tool processing. Motor-cycles are assembled by working line, the product quality is controlled by automatic testing bench. Every motorcycle is adjusted and operated by skillful workers. The company adopts
MRPII managing methods to continually enhance usage of material sources and reduce manufacturing cost, so as to ensure favourable market occupancy of the product .

The company has acquired ISO9000 Quality Conformity Certificate in 1997, and acquired Self-operated Import & Export Right in the same year. The motorcycle products are exported in large volume to over 22 counties/regions all over the world. Meanwhile, Geely motorcycle has become a famous product recommended by Chinese Consumers Association, and has major protection from the State Quality and Technical Supervision Bureau.
http://www.geelybike.com/

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's no such thing as an "affordable" bike in the US market, even the Korean brand is not exactly low priced. The Japanese bikes are mid to high range, American and Europe bikes are all high end. The "affordable" segment is completely abandoned.

If Chinese bikes can come in and fill in this segment, it would be great for consumers - I may even get one, for I've always wanted one to ride once in a blue moon, so it has to be very affordable.

(The quality and reliability must be there though, NO ONE wants a piece of junk.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
:shrug: I don't know how much cheeper you can go but at $1974 msrp for the GS200 in stock at a dealer in WV I called . I'm thinking around $1600 plus tax or less would buy it! That compared to $2995 plus tax for a EX250 ninja is heading quickly in the right direction.........

Now if they can hit the market at $5k with a inline 4 Sportbike....I'm thinking....BIG NUMBERS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Blue Dragon said:
How about $1495 retail for one of these?
That's what I'm talking about!
When will it be available in the US? Is it any good? Will never sell if it's not up to par with the competition...

·
Registered
19 Posts
BringIt said:
That's what I'm talking about!
When will it be available in the US? Is it any good? Will never sell if it's not up to par with the competition...

Go take a hard look at the GS200 for a hun or two more!

You get what you pay for (.)

If you want Japanese quality for half the price ....I sorry to say your off base big time....the way to look at it is your buying a late 70's Japanese bike with modern attire! for half what it costs to buy Top shielf Japanese current!

Here's a good place to ask your question on quality! chinesebikeforum.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
You cannot only talk about prices and quality. The most important issue the Chinese manufacturers need to deal with to actually play in the big league is "economy of scale". Hence, sorting out the logistics, sales/distribution network, parts stock and delivery, vehicles stocks and delivery, actual warranties that cover labor costs in developed markets etc. That's where the biggest hurdle lies and the Chinese are many years away from reaching this stage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see on ebay someone selling Lifan bike, and it is street leagal in some states, but not in others. so, technically you can ride a Lifan bike in USA already

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shawoom said:
You cannot only talk about prices and quality. The most important issue the Chinese manufacturers need to deal with to actually play in the big league is "economy of scale". Hence, sorting out the logistics, sales/distribution network, parts stock and delivery, vehicles stocks and delivery, actual warranties that cover labor costs in developed markets etc. That's where the biggest hurdle lies and the Chinese are many years away from reaching this stage.

I disagree with some of what your saying here.....sure full warranties must be in place , but I feel alot of current multibike franchise owners here in the states would jump on the some of the current offerings from the manufacturing companies from China, if some of these Chinese manufactures would spend the money on a few good state side rep's to visit them(.)

Here in the States ..."People Sell Metal to People(.)"....the way I see it all you need to do is get 10 plus key dealers on both coast's to buy in, even if you have to give the bikes away, and in a short time the rest will be HISTORY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For this all to really work out though, the Chinese need at least have a 600cc bike in there line up to really make it! In this point is where the time frame of at least a few years may come in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honda in Canada is selling a 125cc Sport Bike for under $ 4,000 this includes an helmet, jacket, boots everything one would need to start riding a bike.

CF Moto sells a 250cc automatic transmission bike for $ 4,500, good looking bike for someone that is looking for an automatic transmission. An entry level 250cc bike from Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki is less than $ 4,000 in Canada.

A used Honda VT750 Shadow in excellent condition is approximately $ 6,500, and Hondas have a reputation of reliability.

There is a vast choice of 50cc scooters for less than $ 2,000 these scooters do approximately 80 to 90 KPH which might work in the dowtown core, but not in suburbia.

As Shawoom mentions, distribution, service, warranty, is very important, not just sending bikes over in a container to an importer that bases the "value proposition" solely on price. That game works better with ATV's than bikes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was driving in a rural town in Michigan and stopped at a gas station - they are selling Zhong Shen scooters for $1K USD a piece! They look kinda toy like, the wielding on the chrome trim bars could be better too.

I don't know much about scooters, but is $1K USD a good price? I've seen way cheaper ones on the ads from auto parts dealers such as Pep Boys...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Which countries does China export motorbikes to ?? And any figures ?? Any comments, experience, post them here please.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Where is the Chinese motorbikes manufacturers' positions now in reference to the Japanese makers ?? 60s?? 70s or 80s ?? Please comment

Thank you :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not quite!

Blue Dragon said:
I disagree with some of what your saying here.....sure full warranties must be in place , but I feel alot of current multibike franchise owners here in the states would jump on the some of the current offerings from the manufacturing companies from China, if some of these Chinese manufactures would spend the money on a few good state side rep's to visit them(.)

Here in the States ..."People Sell Metal to People(.)"....the way I see it all you need to do is get 10 plus key dealers on both coast's to buy in, even if you have to give the bikes away, and in a short time the rest will be HISTORY$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For this all to really work out though, the Chinese need at least have a 600cc bike in there line up to really make it! In this point is where the time frame of at least a few years may come in.
I see this idea of yours as rather simplistic and I am talking from personal experience. 1. There is NO brand equity 2. The Chinese are not investing anything - hard enough to get money from them in the car business, let alone in motorcycles/scooters 3. After-sales and service is in shambles. 4. Only very large corporations can benchmark such a project especially in the US 5. The displacement of the engines is the least of all issues to tackle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
AGR said:
Honda in Canada is selling a 125cc Sport Bike for under $ 4,000 this includes an helmet, jacket, boots everything one would need to start riding a bike.

CF Moto sells a 250cc automatic transmission bike for $ 4,500, good looking bike for someone that is looking for an automatic transmission. An entry level 250cc bike from Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki is less than $ 4,000 in Canada.

A used Honda VT750 Shadow in excellent condition is approximately $ 6,500, and Hondas have a reputation of reliability.

There is a vast choice of 50cc scooters for less than $ 2,000 these scooters do approximately 80 to 90 KPH which might work in the dowtown core, but not in suburbia.

As Shawoom mentions, distribution, service, warranty, is very important, not just sending bikes over in a container to an importer that bases the "value proposition" solely on price. That game works better with ATV's than bikes.
A few corrections there mate:
1. CF Moto is basically a Taiwanese company that manufacturers in China while all the technology and quality is from Taiwan.
2. No 50cc scooter gets to 80-90km/h. 2 stroke 50cc get to top speed of 70-75km/h, 4 stroke to 55-60km/h.
3. What I mentioned also includes ATV's as well as Go-Karts and any motorised vehicle for that matter. Consumers want to be certain that if they spend a few thousand bucks on a vehicle, at least they can rely on solid warranty, servicing, spare parts supply etc. Since ATV's are generally even more expensive than scooters, the rule applies even stronger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mememe said:
Where is the Chinese motorbikes manufacturers' positions now in reference to the Japanese makers ?? 60s?? 70s or 80s ?? Please comment

Thank you :)
Rather than following the footpaths of the Japanese, I would say the Chinese are following those of the Taiwanese (especially those of KYMCO and Sanyang or SYM). In this regard, they are not that far behind. I would estimate they are falling only 5-6 years behind the Taiwanese makers, especially in scooters and ATV's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts