China Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070220/FREE/70220002/1528

Will China car be a Chery or a Chrysler?

By ALYSHA WEBB | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 02/20/07, 8:37 am et
SHANGHAI -- Worried about quality, the Chrysler group is studying whether Chery Automobile Co. should build a Chrysler group car, not a Chery, for worldwide export, say industry sources.

In December, Chrysler said it had struck a deal for Chery to assemble a small car. At first, Chrysler was considering a Chery model, sources say. But now Chrysler is considering a production version of the Dodge Hornet, a concept car shown at the Geneva and Beijing auto shows in 2006.

The change may be due to quality concerns. Industry sources say Chrysler is worried about the quality of Chery's products.

Suppliers say Chery is known for emphasizing the low price of components, sometimes at the expense of quality.

Chery will be responsible for purchasing parts for the car, but Chrysler will work with Chery to select suppliers, says the head of a U.S. supplier's China operations that is supplying Chery.

Chery spokesman Wang Wei would not confirm that the Hornet was being considered.

Says Wang: "We will definitely cooperate with DaimlerChrysler, but the specifics of the agreement are still under discussion."

Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff says: "We don't even have a signed contract with Chery yet. Product-specific announcements are still out in the future. This is not focused on a single product."

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rock-N-Roll wouldlike to offer a free translation of the above for those of you who cannot read between the lines.

What was said - Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff says: "We don't even have a signed contract with Chery yet. Product-specific announcements are still out in the future. This is not focused on a single product."

What he meant - "We are not obligated to do anything with Chery, and you can't make us."

What he felt - "RUN AWAY!!!!"

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's all kinds of rumors about DCX and GM flying around, from them collaborating on a big SUV to GM buying Chrysler. I doubt GM would buy Chrysler, but if they do decide to collaborate on one project, wouldn't it make more sense for them to do it in China with SAIC as well, instead of with Chery? As a consumer, I would be more inclined to trust a SAIC product than one from Chery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I must say that european cars still the best on what it comes to building quality. however I would prefer an american car to an italian car like lancia or alfa romeo (good looking cars but high priced and low building quality).
non- american or non-european cars still look a bit cheesy but are definitely cheaper and becoming serious competitors.
I live in Portugal and I find it difficult to get a car under 10000 euros (new). If chinese cars arrive everything will become easier and cheaper!

·
Registered
54 Posts
OMG!

SOme sOurces Said DCX is worried about Chery's Quality. So it mUSt bE trUE~~~!!!!

especially, WHen this "fact" is comInG froM a post fRoM an iNTERneT ID sO apPropriately nAmEd "Real_I_Hate_China", wow... SOOOO muCh CredibiLity. I am So dEpressED, Now I will Buy a hIgh qUality Korean Car InstEAd!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rOck On "Real_I_Hate_China". You consistently fail not to amuse me every day...

·
Registered
54 Posts
On a More serious note,

Business Week just had a great article on Crysler Spinoff.

BW rated GM as 33% chance of buying Crysler, 50% some equity firm, and rest is some Korean/Chinese Company.

I first heard the news from NPR in US. wrote it off as a rumor. Then This...

Crysler's brand is quite valuable outside of North America. I can totally see Crysler got out of Sedan business (at least the assembly part) and focus on SUVs to the world and Pickup trucks for N.A. and source all of its sedan from China.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mandarin_orange said:
OMG!
especially, WHen this "fact" is comInG froM a post fRoM an iNTERneT ID sO apPropriately nAmEd "Real_I_Hate_China", wow... SOOOO muCh CredibiLity.
Well, you never bothered to click on the source link.

Mandarin_orange said:
Crysler's brand is quite valuable outside of North America. I can totally see Crysler got out of Sedan business (at least the assembly part) and focus on SUVs to the world and Pickup trucks for N.A. and source all of its sedan from China.
That depends on what GM wishes to do with its new acquisition.

GM is the sole bidder to Chrysler at this point.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
GM is the sole bidder to Chrysler at this point.
Well no one want fallen brands ... except falling giants .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
And Chinese who bought bankrupt companies like MG Rover, Ssangyong, etc.
how much does hyaundai worth? Just sell SK's whle auto industry to SAIC.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mandarin_orange said:
OMG!

SOme sOurces Said DCX is worried about Chery's Quality. So it mUSt bE trUE~~~!!!!

especially, WHen this "fact" is comInG froM a post fRoM an iNTERneT ID sO apPropriately nAmEd "Real_I_Hate_China", wow... SOOOO muCh CredibiLity. I am So dEpressED, Now I will Buy a hIgh qUality Korean Car InstEAd!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rOck On "Real_I_Hate_China". You consistently fail not to amuse me every day...

Yo, Mandarin, ya got a little foam there on your lip........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts