China Car Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
You do realize that Chery and many other automakers (with Geely as one of the rare exceptions, a completely private firm with no ties to the government) are state industries, do you?
But the city government financing Chery is rather poor, unlike Shanghai city government financing SAIC. $200 million seems like a lot of money for Chery, going by loan announcement and requiring Malcolm Bricklin to come up with that amount for the US launch.

China's government supports its automakers and the government isn't exactly poor
I would like to know how much cash Wuhu city government has to fund Chery. Certainly not $20 billion that Hyundai spent on Hyundai Motors and $25 billion that Samsung was willing to commit to its failed Samsung Motors. Remember, these companies are industrial giants with an annual sales exceeding $150 billion, only companies of such scale can afford to get into automotive business and become a serious global player.

in fact, it holds the world's greatest foreign reserves.
That's Chinese communist party's reserve, not Wuhu city government's reserve.

You're way off on that one.
If Chery was flush with cash, then they would actually have an army of 10,000 engineers(typical of companies in global top 5) housed in a giant R&D complex the size of Chery's factory complete with a 5 mile test track developing 10 cars simultanously. I don't think I even saw a test track at Chery headquarter from videos, just a factory and no R&D.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
If Chery was flush with cash, then they would actually have an army of 10,000 engineers(typical of companies in global top 5) housed in a giant R&D complex the size of Chery's factory complete with a 5 mile test track developing 10 cars simultanously. I don't think I even saw a test track at Chery headquarter from videos, just a factory and no R&D.
What's so great about a 5 mile test track. You can just drive your car on the highway at 3am in the morning and use that as a test track. I drove my car upwards of 200kmh on the highway at 3 am because my car was the only one on the highway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What's so great about a 5 mile test track. You can just drive your car on the highway at 3am in the morning and use that as a test track. I drove my car upwards of 200kmh on the highway at 3 am because my car was the only one on the highway.
1. It's illegal to speed test in public road.
2. For a highspeed endurance testing, like going at 150 MPH until fuel tank goes empty.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
1. It's illegal to speed test in public road.
2. For a highspeed endurance testing, like going at 150 MPH until fuel tank goes empty.

Only cars like ferrari and lamborigini can go 150MPH. What's the point of such a test.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You are a real moron. It is quite clear that you just like to be argumentative. Let me ask you, how much funding did Hyundai get in the 70's when it was just a fledgling car company?

Anyways, Chery is just one amongst many carmakers in China. The largest ones are SAIC and FAW and you can bet they have a bit of government support. Your argument is completely ludicrous. You actually think that a country as vast and huge as China cannot have the resources to build a good car company. I dont think you even realize how idiotic your argument is. Besides China will soon become the largest car market, if Chery remains major competitor in that market, it will eventually gain the capacity to compete with the world's best, especially since China's market is also amongst the most competitive in the world, unlike Korea, which used to bar all foreign cars.

Chery has now become amongst the top 3 in car sales. How do you explain that? It is obvious that Chinese carmakers are on an upward trajectory, and no amount of your bashing will change this.

Stop acting like a typical stupid, racist, shallow Korean.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Let me ask you, how much funding did Hyundai get in the 70's when it was just a fledgling car company?
Very little money. This is why they stayed home in the 70s.

The largest ones are SAIC and FAW and you can bet they have a bit of government support.
Does the communist party give them $20 billion hand outs each for R&D?

You actually think that a country as vast and huge as China cannot have the resources to build a good car company.
Not when the foreigners have made themselves comfortable in China and competition is cut-throat at this early stage. China is not a fertile ground for new car companies.

Besides China will soon become the largest car market, if Chery remains major competitor in that market, it will eventually gain the capacity to compete with the world's best, especially since China's market is also amongst the most competitive in the world
Excessive competition is the problem. Young companies need nurturing and protection to survive in the early years. Instead, they are asked to compete with global giants 1000 times their size from the beginning.

unlike Korea, which used to bar all foreign cars.
To buy enough time for its local car companies to mature.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very little money. This is why they stayed home in the 70s.
But it didn't prevent them from exporting complete pieces of junk throughout the 80's and most of the 90s did it?

Does the communist party give them $20 billion hand outs each for R&D?
I dont know what the exact figure is, but I doubt they need them considering how much they are profiting from their joint ventures with VW and Buick for the past two decades.

Not when the foreigners have made themselves comfortable in China and competition is cut-throat at this early stage. China is not a fertile ground for new car companies.
China is extremely competitive but it hasn't prevented a series of indigenous Chinese car companies from growing and rapidly expanding. This proves that several Chinese automakers are fast learners and will likely become strong competitors.

Excessive competition is the problem. Young companies need nurturing and protection to survive in the early years. Instead, they are asked to compete with global giants 1000 times their size from the beginning.
I wouldn't call companies such as SAIC and FAW young and vulnerable. They are already large companies with vast capacity, the problem is that they haven't focused on building their own brands. But this will change beginning this year. The excessive competition will allow the best brands to emerge, and it seems that local Chinese automakers are beginning to rise to the challenge. So we'll see in ten years who the best will be.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I agree with Edge on the fact that such a big country like China can be sure to output a quality car sooner or later that will make a bang in the US

And if it doesnt work out first, they'll keep trying and trying until they've got a A class car...

If Korea can pump out 2-3 big auto manufacturers, China will pump out 5-6 ...

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree with Edge on the fact that such a big country like China can be sure to output a quality car sooner or later that will make a bang in the US
Later purhaps. But not for another decade.

If Korea can pump out 2-3 big auto manufacturers, China will pump out 5-6 ...
Korea has just one(Hyundai/Kia group). Japan has just two(Toyota and Honda). The third one, Nissan, is French owned.

It is difficult to survive and prosper in a cutthroad automotive world, even those aspiring newcomers with billions failed to take a root.

Going by history, China can have at most two global players. One is supposed to be SAIC. Which one will be the other?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Auto industry does not depend solely on a giant coorperation or whatsoever, rich the company might be, but the thing that counts most is the whole industrial system a country can offer. You don't build cars, you build parts and assemble them together. China for the moment can build everything say from a screw to a condom. Chinese are capable of designing and assembling the third generation jet fighter(J-10) and main battle tanks(type 98), spaceships etc, and we are developping just like the other nations have gone thru.

I don't think it requires a bachelor's degree to understand that China is like ten times stronger than Korea in terms of overall national power, if not a hundred times. Chinese are talking about surpassing Japan and the states in the future, we don't even care about Korea that much. I've heard people discussing how to make Chery as good as Toyota and Volkswagen, and Hyundai? hell no one gives a jackhead about it, sorry truth hurts.

We will see what happens in the future and I don't mind you carry on with your hatred.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Auto industry does not depend solely on a giant coorperation or whatsoever, rich the company might be, but the thing that counts most is the whole industrial system a country can offer.
Which China doesn't have any.

China for the moment can build everything say from a screw to a condom.
But not fuel injectors and gaskets, so these must be imported.

Chinese are capable of designing and assembling the third generation jet fighter(J-10)
While the rest of world is migrating to 5th generation fighters like F-22 and Typhoon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Which China doesn't have any.

But not fuel injectors and gaskets, so these must be imported.

While the rest of world is migrating to 5th generation fighters like F-22 and Typhoon.
Your ignorance is hilarious. What S.Korea can produce, China can also; What South Korea has, China has them all too except the GIs.

Don't pretend to know military aviation, Mr.Kimchi.

The raptor F22 is the only fighter plane that is considered 4th generation fighter jet and both the Eurofighter and the french Rafale are 3rd and half generation jetfighters.

Most countries on earth have to buy airplanes or assemble them under licence which includes S.Korea of which the the most advanced fighters are F15K/F16s. Nothing impressive at all.

Don't even try to sound like you knew all these military stuffs, it only reveals your stupidity and inferior complex.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What S.Korea can produce, China can also
Then no need for Hyundai, Kia, and GM(Daewoo) to import from Korea to build their cars in China. But that is not the case.

Whatever Korea can produce, China can produce something similar looking, but not quite equal in quality and performance.

The raptor F22 is the only fighter plane that is considered 4th generation fighter jet and both the Eurofighter and the french Rafale are 3rd and half generation jetfighters.
Eurofighter is a 5th gen alright. This is the only fighter that can dance with Raptor in the sky.

S.Korea of which the the most advanced fighters are F15K/F16s. Nothing impressive at all.
Well, still better than what Chinese got. Especially avionics. Korean versions always carried better and more modern avionics than the USAF version.

Don't even try to sound like you knew all these military stuffs
Actually I do. But this is not a military forum. We are discussing Chinese cars here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Then no need for Hyundai, Kia, and GM(Daewoo) to import from Korea to build their cars in China. But that is not the case.
Ha, this is just a Korean consipiracy for getting more money. Thousands Chinese part suppliers are eager to produce spare parts for Beijing Hyundai but the Korean refuse to accept, they use ultra high QC which Korean themselves can't reach to block Chinese companies. As I have said before, Hyundai is taking advantage of their initial contract by deliberately refusing Chinese parts to prolong the "30%" tax off for original Korean parts period which was supposed to be only 2~3 years.

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Whatever Korea can produce, China can produce something similar looking, but not quite equal in quality and performance.
Since when Korean products can be associated with the word "quality" when there is Japanese production to be compared to? S.Korea products were considered "shitty quality" only some twenty years ago. Now most Korean products are okay in general and sell much cheaper in foreign markets than in their homeland, say Samsung MP3 player and automobiles also. Korean economy is one of the most protective ones, it is still considered market driven tho.

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Eurofighter is a 5th gen alright. This is the only fighter that can dance with Raptor in the sky.
You kidding me? what you mean dance in the sky? manuverbility and energy preserving? you think we are still in WW2 and you can play with your rival with those H&R or B&Z tactic?

Have they really danced together at least once?

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well, still better than what Chinese got. Especially avionics. Korean versions always carried better and more modern avionics than the USAF version.
S.Korea better than Chinese got? with your licensed F15K and little falcons? The Korean version of F15E is cool, but Chinese imported Su-30MK and home build under license Su-27(J-11) are no toys, J-10 is already in production and with thousands of obselete J-7 and J-8IIs, I honestly don't think S.Korea has a better airforce, both in quality and quantity.

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Actually I do. But this is not a military forum. We are discussing Chinese cars here.
We are talking about national power.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't waste time with I hate China, he is obviously just here to start trouble.

He has the typical Noveau Riche attitude, those who were poor and suddenly just became rich. They like to show off and put others down. This is quite typical of Korean nationalists, who are typically very ethonocentric and ignorant.

The truth is that China is actually of a great industrial capability than Korea in most fields. But I will not brag about this because China is a great power, and SHOULD be greater than Korea. In the fields where China still lags behind Korea, it will catch up soon or within the next decade. Koreans are already well aware of this, there are many papers in Korean academic circles warning that the technology gap between China and Korea in many consumer goods will disappear within 2-3 years.

It's funny how Real I hate China likes to brag about Korean goods. It hasn't been but 5 years when Korean goods have become deemed "acceptable" and mainstream. Before, Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, have all been a second hand term for cheap, crappy, keep the receipt and wannabe Japanese with no quality. The way this guy is talking, you would think that Korean companies have been setting the BENCHMARK for the world for decades, that Hyundai is synonymous with Jaguar and Toyota. Really, this guy does not realize how big of a joke his argument is.

Let's not kid ourselves. This guy is seriously out of touch with reality and history. Just a typical Korean racist nationalist. They need to enjoy their 3 minutes in the sun, because China will soon overtake them in all of their national industries. Hell, his entire generation of Koreans are learning Chinese today. In 20 years, Koreans will be a Chinese speaking nation. Think about that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a lot respect for the elder Korean generation and most Korean people that I met in real life are very nice. Actually my girlfriend is Korean. She lives in Donjak-gu, one of Seoul's riversouth regions and both she and her little sister have no such "nouveau riche" attitudes which is "tant mieux" for me.:D

Korean love to mention their Korean miracle which indeed is impressive but I honestly don't think the majority of Korean population are internationally rich. I do find a lot of them love to associate themselves with Japanese, say those asian grocery shops in Paris marked with "Japanese and Korean supermarkets" are actually all run by Korean. SAMSUNG was considered a SONY wanabee and so was Hyundai, Toyota wanabee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And we all know how things are shaping up now. I read that Samsung is already bigger than Sony in terms of marketshare over it's complete line-up of products.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Land of the morning calm folks

edge said:
Unfortunately, there are many Koreans just like you, that's why so many other ethnicities find it so hard to get along with Koreans.
Edge I hope you get the chance to live in Korea even for a short time and you will change your mind about Koreans. They are a good people. Afterall what other country has the integrity to indict the top man in the auto industry for corruption.
It may not be good for the economy but Korea is serious about becoming an exemplary model of transparency and above the table business dealings. The 1997 economic crisis was a wake up call for the Korean business community, and since then corporate Korea has been making sincere efforts to earn a reputation for integrity. Sure there are dirtbag Koreans like in any other country but the folks in general are nice and hospitable.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts