·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suzuki Verona

Daewoo Magnus

Chery Eastar

Chevy Epica

How can a Japanese car, Korean car, American car, and Chinese car all have the same chassis. My mistake, did I say Chas**is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Suzuki is part of GM, they sell rebadged Daewoos as suzuki in some parts of the world.

So you basically see only two cars: the Daewoo with 3 different badges and the Chery.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oo4load said:
Suzuki is part of GM, they sell rebadged Daewoos as suzuki in some parts of the world.

So you basically see only two cars: the Daewoo with 3 different badges and the Chery.
I thought Suzuki was japanese. What about Suzuki cars made by Changan like Suzuki Swift. Changan makes cars with Ford not GM.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Changan has two partners - suzuki and ford. so changan suzuki and changan ford are two separate companies, but changan group owns shares in both of them.

All the chinese car companies are allowed to have a max of two foreign partners:

FAW with Toyota and VW
SAIC with GM and VW
DongFeng with Nissan and PSA
Guangzhou with Honda and Nissan
Beijing with DCX and Hyundai etc.

Similarly, the foreign partners are allowed two chinese JVs.

There are a few anomolies of course, because of history. But that's the principle. The two partner rule came out a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
hazik said:
I thought Suzuki was japanese. What about Suzuki cars made by Changan like Suzuki Swift. Changan makes cars with Ford not GM.
Hi Hazik, I really like your regular input to this forum. I look forward to it.

Just wanted to say that Suzuki is 20% owned by GM. And when Daewoo was bought by GM, Suzuki aquired 11% of the company called GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Co.. And so now Suzuki and Daewoo's technology (from its previous life) are like lips and teeth as the saying goes.
Oh, and SAIC owns 9% of the new company.

As FT points out Suzuki doesn't build cars with Ford in Chang'an's Chongqing plant. It actually had a licensing tie-up with Chang'an to build the Alto and other mini-vehicles long before Ford arrived. I think the Tiger truck (recently shown here on the forum) that Chang'an exports to the US, is Suzuki-based.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dragin said:
Hi Hazik, I really like your regular input to this forum. I look forward to it.

Just wanted to say that Suzuki is 20% owned by GM. And when Daewoo was bought by GM, Suzuki aquired 11% of the company called GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Co.. And so now Suzuki and Daewoo's technology (from its previous life) are like lips and teeth as the saying goes.
Oh, and SAIC owns 9% of the new company.

As FT points out Suzuki doesn't build cars with Ford in Chang'an's Chongqing plant. It actually had a licensing tie-up with Chang'an to build the Alto and other mini-vehicles long before Ford arrived. I think the Tiger truck (recently shown here on the forum) that Chang'an exports to the US, is Suzuki-based.
Actually, Suzuki is less than 10% owned by GM since GM sold off much of its stock earlier this year. Also, GM didn't technically buy Daewoo but a group of companies including GM, Suzuki, SAIC, and Daewoo's creditors did...it's just that GM bought the largest single share. But the rest is as you stated.

Chang'an exports vehicles to the US? Not for legal street use.

·
Registered
561 Posts
hazik said:
i thought teh swift is made by gm since it looks so much like the aveo

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well, Chery stole the chassis.
Chery didn't steal the Chassis. It was Daewoo engineers that stole the chassis and sold it to Chery. You should blame the Daewoo engineers who stole it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts