China Car Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The US is slowly coming around to e-bike/scooter usage but it will take a long time. The Indy Dealer Expo last weekend had more than a couple e-bikes and manufactures from China on exhibit. Many of them also claimed to have inventory on shore.

From the domestic side, we saw a manufacturer called ZERO that makes some KILLER looking ebikes, not only for daily transport but for motorcross use. I got a brief video interview with an officer of ZERO bikes and I think you guys would like them... try to imagine a white KTM electric bike that has the power of a 250 and only weight about 150lbs and you'll get the basic idea.

On a different scale, I personally know a fellow rider in Pennsylvania who has started his own electric bike company in the USA using imported Chinese components. It's not that people in the US are against something like an ebike, it's just that time is required for it to become a popular mode of transportation.

Also, worth remembering, is the US is largely a "combustion loving" nation what with the history of automobiles in the US and all. It may be stupid, but I like the sound and feeling of controlled explosions between my legs moving me forward at exhilirating speeds. Combined with the fact that the US mainly uses two wheeled form of transport for recreational use, e-bikes will have to offer a CLEAR advantage over a fuel efficient 50cc scooter (also able to be ridden without registrations or licenses in many states) to make it big. At the end of the day, a 50cc scooter will have a greater rang and all for relatively minimal cost (~100-120MPG = ~3USD for a 1.x gallon tank)... and the recharge time is about 30 seconds... not 6-7 hours.

I lived in China for 5 years, Chengdu to be exact, which is currently one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the nation. I watched as electric bikes/scooter slowly over-ran standard bikes in parking areas and, to be honest, I'm not extremely impressed with them. Lots of them have shoddy plastics which get dirty and crack at the slightest pretense. Many do not utilize sensible technologies like regenerative braking and, what's more, people eventually got to see them as dispensable which, undoubtedly, will mean a whole god damn mountain of crappy plastics and spent ground water poisoning batteries all over the friggin' countryside.

Not only that, but the output and range of the batteries deteriorates dramatically over time AND, especially so in cold weather. A friend of mine in Chengdu had a 15km commute to work everyday and asked me if she should get an e-bike or gas. I told her for anything under 10kms range (one way), and e-bike should be fine (even after the batteries start to age) but anything beyond that it's safer and more convenient to use gas... especially since it was slightly hilly. She got an e-bike and guess what? Had it for about one year and was ready to drop the thing in a river. By the end of it's life she spent more time pushing the thing than riding it and, IIRC, went back to buses and taxis.

Don't get me wrong, I think e-bikes have great potential but they - like any other machine - have limitations we need to be aware of and realistic about.

CC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very interesting topic, great information, but could anyone post some pictures? And give brand names?

I've found quite many electric scooters manufacturers, I'd like to find out who are the most respected, the largest manufacturers. Thanks a lot, if someone can answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many people around the world, electrical motorbikes have become their method of transport and also their personal health devices. With the e-bike, they have the alternatives of guide power, or collaboration of both. When in comparison to child scooters and mopeds, e-bikes are obviously more green. Of course, you need to cost your motorcycle's power supply using a conventional plug.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts