Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FAW Besturn Senia R9

First official pic published:

https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/201803/913991.html

According to a decision taken by FAW's Besturn Business Unit in December, "Senia" will be brought into Besturn's fold for marketing purposes. This also applies to the R7, a derivative of which, interestingly, already exists in the Besturn range (X40).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: FAW Senia R9 SUV

It appears that FAW has chosen to make some changes to its brand names.
Back when Daihatsu had a joint venture with FAW, the Xenia 森雅 model was introduced.
Once the jv ended, and newer models were introduced, the name morphed into Senya 森雅, and now with the R9 model it seems to have morphed again into yet another name, the Senia 森雅.
Further, on the www.faw.com website, it appears that another name change has occurred and the former Senya R7 model is now shown as the Sirius R7.
We are also told now that the FAW model name Besturn 奔腾 will soon morph into Bestern (seen at Auto Beijing 2018), as the model moves upmarket.
It is not an easy task to accommodate all the countries where they sells cars, but I hope that FAW will soon rationalize its naming/branding system for the benefit of the global market.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

"Sirius" is a name for Senya vehicles outside China for quite some time; it had been used for the S80 as well. Locally the R7 retains SENIA, as seen on its latest variant.

Senya was in use inside China as it was a direct transliteration of the Chinese characters 森雅, in the absence of any official Romanized brand name. I do not recall if FAW actually communicated "Senya" in the Roman script in any marketing material. From mid-2016, "SENIA" is the official Romanized (or "English") name for 森雅, and has begun to be boldly printed on the cars as well, which was not the case when Senya was prevalent (i.e. SENYA in Roman was not seen on any car).

Besturn will become Bestern as you say, but the change is not yet official for current production cars.

·
Registered
387 Posts

.... I do not recall if FAW actually communicated "Senya" in the Roman script in any marketing material....
Thank you DMitra for that info.
I don't know how the joint venture came up with the exotic Xenia name, but in choosing the switch to Senya (and now Senia) I can understand FAW wanting to separate itself from an identification with a foreign partner.
Another curious point is that the Junpai (D80) name was sometimes used for the R7 model.
That was confusing because it seemed to me that all Junpai models are manufactured in FAW's Tianjin plant, and not its Jilin plant, where the R7, and the R9 are made.
And finally, I agree now with your not having seen any marketing material with the world Senya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts