China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple things...

That is an especially poor result. However;

1. This is a model that has not been produced or sold new for three years.

2. Its replacement, redesigned in 2004, fared MUCH better in the same test. (see the iihs site for the new model; can't post URLs yet, sorry.) I believe it received five stars in gov't tests, though I haven't checked.

3. Like it or not, light trucks sold in the US do not have to meet the same standards as passenger cars. I personally think all vehicles should be required to meet the same standards.

I do not know of a single new vehicle (passenger cars, specifically) for sale in the US that even comes close to the poor test results of vehicles like the Brilliance BS6 or the Chery Amulet. If the chinese auto manufacturers think for one moment that they'll be able to sell a car that does this poorly in a crash test, they're mistaken. I have no doubt that our sometimes-hysterical media would trumpet the poor crash test results loudly and repeatedly, and there's no way they'll sell any. I remember what happened to the Suzuki Samurai after Consumer Reports rated it not acceptable. Not to mention how long it took Audi to claw its way back in the US market after the unintended acceleration farce.

I know Chery has no plans to sell the Amulet in the US, and to be fair it IS a 17 year old design. Also, I would be surprised if one of their newer models performed as badly. I am disappointed in the BS6 though. Up until it was tested, I really liked it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also...

Anyone know if Landwind could still legally sell their suv here even if it performed as badly in a US government crash test as it did in the ADAC test? I compared it to a test of the Isuzu Rodeo and they were nearly identical, and the Rodeo was sold here for around 13 years.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Even the BS6 is a design of several years old - probably based on even older car designs.

I'm glad you recognize that the Chinese cars that done poorly in these crash tests are of extremely old designs.

I highly doubt cars from other nations can do any better from the same era.

Surely, these Chinese car companies won't be stupid enough (I sincerely hope) to export these crap into the US market.

The exports to come to the US MUST MEET ALL safety, quality, and performance "standards", and they will be. Just wait and see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.