China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Geely car and they are very bad quality. The wheel bearings get damaged before 10,000 kms, the brake pads also, the shock absorbers are really bad. Many, many electrical problems.

Does anybody else have had this kind of experience with Geely cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Early-adopters pay the price. Yes, you are an early-adopter - nothing is proven about these cars.

A girl in my office got a Geely and everyone feels sorry for her.:(

Look on the bright side. There are lots of things you can learn about car ownership and mechanics. Whenever the car is being repaired, look over the shoulder of the mechanic, ask questions, read up on things. You will be a great source of knowledge to your friends and workmates. This kind of knowledge is rare among Chinese car owners right now. You will be DA MAN!:nod:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Geely cars look to be of very shoddy quality. Even from pictures of their cars, they look like they are about to fall apart or melt. I doubt Geely will survive long term.

·
Registered
314 Posts
jsuazo2002 said:
I bought a Geely car and they are very bad quality. The wheel bearings get damaged before 10,000 kms, the brake pads also, the shock absorbers are really bad. Many, many electrical problems.

how much did u pay for it? was it worth it to Not buy a japanese car:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
When did you buy your Geely? In what country?

For the price you paid, would you have been better of getting a used car?

Does the money you saved by buying a Geely worth the hassles you're going through?

As far as I'm concerned, if I can save thousands up front, and pay some of that back down the road to fix some minor problems, may not be a bad deal.

Consider putting some of that savings in a long term warranty.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
BringIt said:
When did you buy your Geely? In what country?

For the price you paid, would you have been better of getting a used car?

Does the money you saved by buying a Geely worth the hassles you're going through?

As far as I'm concerned, if I can save thousands up front, and pay some of that back down the road to fix some minor problems, may not be a bad deal.

Consider putting some of that savings in a long term warranty.

He bought it in Singapore. And he is living in Singapore

·
Registered
807 Posts
Iyul Motor Show claims Geely Otaka owners might have trouble having their cars repair

Thanks to the wide spread and availability of car loans, borrowers who only used to be able to afford Russian cars can now buy a medium-price-range foreign one. Yet the buyer’s choice is normally influenced not only by the price and the range of options a car can offer but also by the cost of further maintenance. Even though Geely Otaka is not much more expensive that, for example, Lada, its maintenance, repair, and spare parts are much more costly,’ Iyul Motor Show’s press officer said to UrBC.
The first Geely Otaka cars were produced in Novouralsk on June 5, 2007. Its producers claim the car is going to be able to compete with VAZ cars and Lada Kalina. A basic Geely Otaka, though, is about 60,000 RUR more expensive than a Lada Kalina, whereas according to experts’ estimates, if a car falls into the under-$13,000 price category, even a small difference in price can become a decisive factor.
‘Since this brand is new to the Russian market, Geely Otaka owners might have trouble having their cars repaired, especially if a problem occurs somewhere in the countryside. One good thing about Russian cars is that they can be fixed by any mechanic in virtually any garage, which is particularly important for small town dwellers. It is not quite clear just how the spare parts are to be delivered, and how speedy a delivery one can hope for. Besides, it might be not very easy to sell a car a few years later as the secondary market is usually suspicious of unknown cars,’ the press officer observed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ex-Geely owner

CAUTION:

be careful of china cars, especially geely brand. my husband was posted to shanghai for work and while there we bought a geely car. it was quite cheap, about 60,000 chinese renminbi (about 12,000 singapore dollars). less than a year and before clocking 10,000km, the car needed extensive overhaul. we had to write it off as a VERY bad investment.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Indeed, I heard quite a number of complaints about Geely's quality, I remember one said Geely car's exhaust pipe fell off on the road. You see I am not sure, probably it is a made up story but who knows

Btw Wendy, please do not generalise this for all Chinese made cars, not all Chinese made cars are like Geely. Chery QQ is really welcomed in many countries, so far I never heard any complaints about Chery QQ from those in Singapore or any from Pakistani, except for its high fuel consumption, other than that they said Chery QQ is really a comfortable cars even in long journey, compact, no major breakdowns or anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Geely has the worst rating for quality among the top 25 automakers in China, Chery is second last. Neither company road tests their vehicles before sale, like every western car company does. The parts are second even third-rate. But what do you expect for those prices?

Expect to pay more down the road for a Geely or Chery, if not in warranty, but insurance as well and health care if you get in an accident, uh and survive.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yep, for the cheap price you paid, don't expect the world.

For the money, your only alternative is a used car of other brands, which is NO safer, NO MORE reliable, or better designed.

To get a safer new car, you'd have to spend more. If you have the money, go for it. If you don't, and want a brand new car, why the heck not get a Geely or Chery.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
neko said:
Geely has the worst rating for quality among the top 25 automakers in China, Chery is second last. Neither company road tests their vehicles before sale, like every western car company does. The parts are second even third-rate. But what do you expect for those prices?

Expect to pay more down the road for a Geely or Chery, if not in warranty, but insurance as well and health care if you get in an accident, uh and survive.
Can we see the rating please ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Or are you referring to this ?

Car-safety tests provide home run

"CHINESE home-brand models are proving more reliable, with enhanced ratings in the latest domestic crash tests. The national official vehicle laboratory, the China Automotive Technology and Research Center, gave four stars to the Besturn sedan, China first self-branded model made by First Automotive Works Group. The announcement was made on Thursday in a statement posted on the CATRC Website.

This compared to a two-star assessment, the lowest rating, given to the Free Cruiser sedan, developed by Geely Holdings Group, and three stars to the A5 sedan made by Chery Automobile Co Ltd and the F3 sedan made by BYD Automobile Co Ltd in the same assessment program last year. The relative low ratings on China self-developed models once caused public concerns over quality issues during a time when national car makers were planing to break into more mature markets in their overseas ventures. All the test results were subject to the Chinese version of the New Car Assessment Program, an independent vehicle-assessment scheme that is similar to Euro-NCAP.

The national standard, launched last July, gave safety ratings on how passengers are protected after undergoing front, side and rear-end collisions. It is quite encouraging that Chinese-branded models are improving their safety standards after increased investment, said Jia Xinguang, an auto expert in Beijing. Zhao Hang, director of the CATRC, said that Chinese car makers need more efforts on equipment like airbags compared with foreign rivals in the same segment.

Nissan Teana premier sedan and Ford Focus economy car achieved the top five-star ratings and the institute gave four stars to Honda Civic. Zhang said compact cars are still generally short on quality and need further attention.

In the same series of tests, Shanghai-GM-Wuling Spark subcompact won two stars while Kia Cerato and Haima Family, developed on a Mazda model, achieved three. Brilliance Zunchi sedan, which has launched mass exports to Germany, suffered from bad ratings in crash tests in Europe last month. The car maker said the failure was a ruse by rivals to damage its brand image.

The introduction of C-NCAP, which imposes stricter requirements than the existing national crash tests before models are produced, aims to lift the awareness of auto safety and encourage car makers to improve technology."

- China Daily -

·
Registered
4 Posts
jsuazo2002 said:

im from south africa. bought geely july 2007. biggest mistke i ever made

·
Registered
4 Posts
my gearbox worked on
twice. still not rite. wheel bearings replaced. central locking not working. lower control arm replaced. fuel tank removed to replace fuel sender unit. many more problems

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't know if Geely road test their cars but Chery certainly does it, we have seen pictures of quite a number of Chery cars in road tests before here. But ye weird so far I have not seen any pictures of any Geely cars in road tests. :/

But after the Beijing Auto Show 2008, I am expecting changes in the attitude of Geely in this game. (my opinions).

PS not trying to be sour to Geely but there must be differences between Chery and Geely that makes Chery ahead of other indigenous Chinese makers (including Geely) in the month sales in China.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts