China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shit ! this is bad news

27/2/2006

Geely failed to pass american engine pollution standards ( well that was expected , but I don't really care for it )

the American side-impact test , geely failed in completely apparently , ie , if you're driving a CK and some car hit you on the side ... you DIE ! :p

but apparently they didnt say anthing about the front crash test ??

here's the full article ..

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-02-26-chinese-cars-usat_x.htm?csp=34

btw it's not a conspiracy or anything , these words are coming from Geely USA .

Man now I am really afriad of buying the CK ......

Chinese engineers are traveling to the usa , to redesign the Chasis of the ck so it can pass the test , however the engine might be difficult to redesign !!!!

damn it !

·
Registered
297 Posts
no foreign cars meet safety /emission tests at the beginning..because the rest of the worlds standards are totally different...

i dont know if in egypt you are constantly driving at 100+miles per hour...

also...bmw's from sweden for example dont even pass USA emission tests

every car fails US emission tests until they are 100% sreious coming to US..

and safety they do have to improve....but most cars in EU/middle east have poor safety compared to US

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well yes but I dont want to buy a car , that in a few months is going to replaced with a better version

actualy in Egypt , the Highway speed limit is 100 Km/hour , that's 62 miles/hour

and inside city limits range from 40 to 60 km/h ( 25 to 40 miles / hour )

but everyone keeps telling me that the chery A11 is more solid and has a better engine than the CK

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well what am I supposed to do then ? buy one now ?
or wait for a refined version !!

·
Registered
297 Posts
well geely has sold many cars in EU/Asia/Middle East...
that means in those places they did pass the tests...right?

you should go in the dealership and check out the cars , just bang on them a little to see if they feel safe...

talk to the dealerships, see how many they sold in your area...

are geelys' popular in egypt?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are mixed here

only the HQs and Ulions are selling well but only because of thier unbeaten price

the CK and Maple 303 are putting themself in heavy competition from Fiat / Hyundai / Kia and some Russian brands .

there's nothing as a crash test in egypt , we are a third-world country .. anything will be accepted here :p

the dealer is what I dont like , he seems very .. untrustful , altho the car is good and I like it alot , it's the only one with abs/cd/fm/1.6L engine in that price range .

however geely has generated mixed response , some ppl like it and buy it bcuz of thier cheap price and some totaly HATE the idea of just thinking of a car built in china !

Chery on the contrary doing very very well , the A11 is sold out almost in all dealers ,and the QQ is becoming a national girls choice :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
M14 Geeley have not sold many cars in Europe as far as I know. Certainly in Western Europe no one buys them and the recent reviews have been pretty daming. Most reviews said something along the lines of 'scratch the surface and you realise how bad these cars are'. As I have said elsewhere for Geeley to sell their cars anywhere then they should aim to suceed in the UK market. Not because it is the biggest but because the consumers are the most demanding in the world. In no other country will you see quite a mix of cars as you see in Britain. Only the best car makers sell in respectable numbers. The rest sell in hundreds, not even thousands. Even our own domestic car makers have struggled with such intense competition and they were/ are quite good! Ironically Britains own car makes sell better abroad now than they do at home. Even Honda decided that the Civic had to be designed to suceed in the UK car market, so the styling was carried out in the UK. Sales are now hitting record highs globally. So get it right in the UK and you get it right everywhere!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
suddenly the idea of owning a $10,000 abs/ebd/cd full options 1.6 sedane .. called Geely CK is starting to fade away from my mind ...... :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think Geely is a pretty badly built car. Chery is MUCH better in quality and design. Geely seems like it just tries to go for the price, but in terms of quality, it seems very shoddy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
geely's ceo is a farmer,it's absolutely a private company,he had faced much more difficults than any other companies such as chery.

·
Registered
772 Posts
suddenly the idea of owning a $10,000 abs/ebd/cd full options 1.6 sedane .. called Geely CK is starting to fade away from my mind ......
I recommend you Toyota Yaris starting from $10K. Originally meant to kill Hyundai and Daewoos, this one will become the ultimate Chinamobile slayer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actualy I_hate_china , the BASIC model of yaris is sold for $15,000 here

I left all the asian market , I am going to eat Pizza ( Fiat Palio - 1.8 16v Hatchback )

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
cryptonx said:
actualy I_hate_china , the BASIC model of yaris is sold for $15,000 here

I left all the asian market , I am going to eat Pizza ( Fiat Palio - 1.8 16v Hatchback )
and how much are the geely and chery models for? (the cheapest ones)

·
Registered
772 Posts
mmm..do you have more info on this toyota yaris?

Toyota Yaris, available in Europe for 5 years and coming to the US this year starting at $10,000.

There is no room left for cheap Chinese cars in the US. The only way Chinese could sell their cars in the US is if they start from $8000 and offer 10yr/100k miles warranty. But a 10yr/100k miles warranty is a financial suicide if the car's reliability is not good enough, so any Chinese vender offering it will financially bleed to death.

The last time a new car manufacturer successfully entered the US market was Hyundai's entry in 1985, all others failed(Isuzu, Suzuki, Daihatsu, Yugo, Kia, and Daewoo). Hyundai too would have withdrawn, if it wasn't for tens of billions of dollars in cash aid by its deep-pocketed and determined parent company.

This is why I don't see Chinese cars taking off in the US, the competition is just too tough and Chinese companies(Chery, Geely, and SAIC) don't have tens of billions of dollars of free cash laying around to throw at.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the Geely CK-1 ( CK 1.6 full featured ) costs arround $11.000
the Chery A-11 ( luxury Model 1.6 ) costs arround $10.900
The Maple ( 1.5 full featured ) costs arround $10.000

Other makes :

Hyundai Accent ( 2004 shape ) costs $11.000
Kia Picanto - $9500
Proton Wira 1.5 - $11.000
Hyundai Getz - $12.000