China Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Toyota-based engine

Looks like an 8A-FE. I believe the Haoqing donor, Xiali, used that engine.
From the angle of the photo the intake plenum casting looks uncomfortably close to the firewall rib. It's a tight fit at least.
Interestingly that engine was also used in the Rover's once built by Etsong in Qingdao.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Without seeing the full article, here's a guess on that title's translation.

Upon its 4 star rating in the C-NCAP crash test, the self-developed (Geely) Freedom Cruiser avoids a loss of face.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Geely does care about safety.

But it has launched this car-making enterprise with the idea of making a profit. When it finally recognizes the relationship between profit and safety, and profit and the environment, it will change its ways.

Li Shufu is a smart man. I trust that he will come to this realization before
it's too late.

It is no doubt an embarassment for the students at Geely University to see these photos.

JM Steiny where are you when we need you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hazik, do you mean that nobody cares about Geely leaving out that top bar of the front grille? They all must be very practical folks.........

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Still a long way to go...

Cuongnet is good for something.... he brings us back to one of our favorite subjects: Geely

"Whenver i see one , they look like they are 15 years old ... headlights so foggy ... dirty washed out paint ... and no thats not a single incident ,, all GEELYS tend to look the same ... like they were heavily used for ages."

Cryptonx, the day that Geely gets that pedal cluster to be in alignment, i.e. not cockeyed like the one seen below, will be the day that they move into the world of global quality. I'm afraid that they are all like that, both automatic and manual transmission models, both Geely and Geely Maple.

But as for their bold entry into automatics, I must give them credit. That is a good move and in that respect they are stepping out front among domestic makers.

Hazik you photos are fantastic as usual.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Alby that familiar 4 banger engine was being purchased from Toyota's Tianjin engine operation for a while, and then Geely decided to make it on their own, illegally. Toyota took them to court and I believe the outcome was that Toyota ended up giving them a license to produce it legally.

Another interesting thing is that this CK was built on the same platform as the Geely Haoqing and Meirenbao, and all were derived from the Tianjin Xiali (N3) platform. A look at the unusual firewall indents is the giveaway. But in this case copying a domestic competitor brought no legal challenges.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: Geely CK (Otaka)

Has anyone seen the latest results of C-NCAP testing on this latest CK model
of Geely's?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: Geely CK (Otaka)

Facelift?
Instead the CK needs a face replacement and more. It's disastrous NCAP results made it lose face and Geely can't afford that. At least not in light of its latest acquisition prize.
Also in my opinion, the arrangement of the grille bars was poorly done from the getgo.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts