China Car Forums banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Geely CK (Otaka)

Such is a real pity. Some of those concepts are among the most promissing chinese cars. I'm thinking especially about the Gleagle GS coupe (much nicer than the China Dragon), the Englon TXN or the Gleagle GP5 and GX5. Not to mention the Emgrand Tiger GT, which could boost chinese-made cars image abroad like the cool Toyota 2000GT made to japanese automotive industry in the late 1960's.

·
Administrator
17,864 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Production ceased in November 2015 for the CK body; last deliveries from the factory was in January 2016 (including exports, if any). Some units may have survived into 2017 overseas as part of new-car inventory.

·
Registered
445 Posts
And especially good riddance to this Xiali-derived disaster. Its platform couldn't have been discontinued early enough.
I find it hard to believe the rumor that the "CK" stood for a China-Korea joint development project. Perhaps that was a reference to the body design alone.

Back in 2006 it somehow made its way to a display in the lobby of Cobo Hall in Detroit. Though it never came close to homologation there in the US, it was a favorite of exporters to the Ukraine, Russia, and elsewhere.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, thank you D Mitra for your help with my poor spelling (now corrected).
Over the years I'm sure the appearances of Chinese automakers at Cobo Hall would make an interesting story. I think SAIC-GM was first to show the China-developed Kunpeng concept, by PATAC, there at Cobo in 2005.
However, it may be Geely who earned the distinction of being the first to show a production car, the CK, there in 2006.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.