China Car Forums banner

Geely CK (Freedom Ship/Otaka/Ziyoujian)

183K views 136 replies 57 participants last post by  dmitra 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Geely CK is a sedan automobile from Chinese manufacturer, Geely Automobile. Production began in May, 2005. The "CK" name stands for "Freedom Ship" or "Free Cruiser".
The CK holds the distinction of being the first Chinese automobile ever displayed at an American auto show, although it was only shown to the press and not the general public. Geely plans to begin selling the model in Puerto Rico in 2007on the way to beginning sales in America the next year. The CK was also shown at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2005 along with four other Geely models.
The CK is based on a South Korean design by Daewoo, Tower Metal, Wooshin Systems, and CES, which Geely licensed. Its 1.5 L engine is a Toyota Motor Corporation design, also licensed. It produces 94 hp (70 kW) at 6000 rpm. The automatic transmission is built in China, the first to be manufactured there.

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/spec/1799/u_1799374146366.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/spec/1799/u_1799732449577.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/spec/2087/u_208776880403.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/spec/1618/u_1618242736549.jpg

more at:
http://car.autohome.com.cn/pic/series/409.html
http://car.che168.com/pic/series_376.html
http://product.xgo.com.cn/pic/ifram...p://product.xgo.com.cn/pic_list/brand83.shtml

See less See more
#77 ·
maybe said:
Hello,I don't like the wood from the interior;
The gearbox it's made in colaboration whit Antonov or it is a gearbox made by Geely?
Buy the way all the plastic from interior are very very cheep,and the car have some problems whit the front suspensions
There won't be an Antonov Gearbox in any Geely car before the end of 2008. The prototypes still have to be made and tested before we can go into massproduction. There will, however, be a Geely car WITH an Antonov gearbox on some Carshow in Beijing in late 2008, I believe. Does anyone know anything about a timetable, concerning the prototype testing?

#79 ·
Still a long way to go...

Cuongnet is good for something.... he brings us back to one of our favorite subjects: Geely

"Whenver i see one , they look like they are 15 years old ... headlights so foggy ... dirty washed out paint ... and no thats not a single incident ,, all GEELYS tend to look the same ... like they were heavily used for ages."

Cryptonx, the day that Geely gets that pedal cluster to be in alignment, i.e. not cockeyed like the one seen below, will be the day that they move into the world of global quality. I'm afraid that they are all like that, both automatic and manual transmission models, both Geely and Geely Maple.

But as for their bold entry into automatics, I must give them credit. That is a good move and in that respect they are stepping out front among domestic makers.

Hazik you photos are fantastic as usual.

#83 ·
Alby that familiar 4 banger engine was being purchased from Toyota's Tianjin engine operation for a while, and then Geely decided to make it on their own, illegally. Toyota took them to court and I believe the outcome was that Toyota ended up giving them a license to produce it legally.

Another interesting thing is that this CK was built on the same platform as the Geely Haoqing and Meirenbao, and all were derived from the Tianjin Xiali (N3) platform. A look at the unusual firewall indents is the giveaway. But in this case copying a domestic competitor brought no legal challenges.

#85 ·
dragin said:
Alby that familiar 4 banger engine was being purchased from Toyota's Tianjin engine operation for a while, and then Geely decided to make it on their own, illegally. Toyota took them to court and I believe the outcome was that Toyota ended up giving them a license to produce it legally.

Another interesting thing is that this CK was built on the same platform as the Geely Haoqing and Meirenbao, and all were derived from the Tianjin Xiali (N3) platform. A look at the unusual firewall indents is the giveaway. But in this case copying a domestic competitor brought no legal challenges.
it's a good motor. i have one that has something like 250 thousand miles on it and it runs strong. it's good that they are using it for them. toyota must be pretty pissed about it. thanks for the info.

#97 ·
Some more information about Geely's bad performance at Russia's crash test from Gasgoo.com

Geely's Freedom Cruiser fared very badly in a recent European NCAP crash test organized by Russia automobile magazine Auto Review.

Freedom Cruiser's performance in the crash test was so bad that Russian media dubbed the vehicle as "a death car," which means the drive in the car would have zero chance to survive in a similar crash.

The organizer of this crash test bought the vehicle from a local dealer at 291,500 Rubles ($11,898) and did the test without the knowledge of its maker, China's Geely Automobile.

In the frontal offset crash, the first-row seating is compressed into half size, which leaves the occupants zero chance to survive. The car also got a zero-score regarding protection of thighs, legs and ankles of the dummy.

The speed is 64.1km/h, which is stricter than 53km/hour in a standard Russian crash-test. Before Geely's test, other Chinese automakers also fared badly in crash tests organized by Auto Review. Chery Qiyun-also known as Amulet in Russian, Brilliance BS6 earned very low ratings in previous tests.

"We choose Geely's Freedom Cruiser to conduct the crash test because this car is a popular model in Russian market," the crash test's organizer Auto Review said. "And Geely's partner in Russia Inkom-Avto Group, Russia's leading auto dealer, campaigned aggressively for this car in Russian market."

Geely started assembling cars in Russia since last year. With aggressive marketing by Inkom-Avto Group, it plans to increase its local sales to 30,000 units this year from 8000 units last year.

#98 ·
Geely CKII new generation in Egypt

Hi ALL

In our national market which is Egyption market . we have many chinese cars , and at Automech Akhbar El Yom 2008 which is a big car fair we have seen many new geely cars like : Panda , MK hatchback & FC , and we have seen for the second time in Egypt the small sedan CKII which reminds you with the Geely Merie , it has the front of the old C-Class and the end of the CKI , its equipped with many options but it doesn't have air bags , it has a 1.5 L engine releases 95 hp & its the only car in its segment which has automatic transmission with the choice of manual one , its priced about 66.000 EGP so its cheap .

#99 ·
Re: Geely CK (Otaka)

An 'interesting' amalgam of styles.

From the quarter panel back it's a 1989 Hyundai Sonata.
The dash is from a late 70s Volksawagen Passat (pretty cool i think actually).
Back is a Daewoo Lacetti sedan.
Bangle-style headlights, with a 1970s XJ Jaguar treatment on the bonnet (?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.