China Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen. It's official. Geely Motors has launched in New Zealand with the first dealer in Christchurch. The two models included in the range are the MK Hatch & sedan.

Official website is: www.geely.co.nz

·
Registered
156 Posts
KiwiGuy

Im looking forward to the outcomes of this launch.
I have no doubt they will be positive. Infact Im so sure they will do well that I will take you out for a burger at McDdonalds if Geely sells more than 130 cars in NZ this MY2010 year - my shout.

I know its a bit of an 'about turn' for me to be so excited about a cheap Chinese car maker when I hold Swedish cars so dear to my heart but you have to be practical. Im never going to be able to afford a new Saab or Volvo so a Geely is a more practical choice (perhaps for Tessa).

If I was choosing from Geely's initial NZ model range (MK hatch and sedan) I would pick a sedan at $19,990 + onroad in black. I would be pretty happy with that.

I cant wait till Geely get a bigger range here. Geely LC is next in line. Hopefully a larger sedan may come.

You should post those photos you took here.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like those chances!

My personal pic would be the hatch just because it hasn't got the larger boot which makes it harder to park. I'd have it in white.

If the Geely sells well with both the MK and LC, then they might release the EC7 sedan and EC7-RV which are larger and a bit better looking.

I've already posted those pics in the MK thread.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The EC7 is ok. I would kill to own a Roewe 750E!!!!!!! I LOVE THEM!!! They are so superior to the Rover 75!

·
Registered
156 Posts
KiwiGuy

I have visited Nelson's Geely dealer, Bowater Geely.

Bowater Geely have 3 MK's. A black hatch, a white hatch and a silver Sedan.

I have done some research and the MK sedan that they have must be a GT spec model because it has a sun roof.

The cars are well below industry standard and I was very dissapointed.
Infact they were so bad they make the Suzuki Alto look like Audi build it!

KiwiGuy, these cars are doing no favours to China as a car maker. They literaly smelt like the Warehouse!

The door handles on the 24 km example were as secure as the sexuality of a swinger!

The bonnet was very loose on its hook and the foldable mirrors were as steady as a Sumo balancing on a McDonalds straw.

It is a true shame that the quality of these brand new cars was not of the standard I was expecting.

I have checked out Geely's international website and it shows the 1.5 MK has only a 69kw engine and the 1.6 only 79kw! Thats terrible!

Im looking forward to your opinion.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my opinion: Give them time. Geely in terms of auto company history is still in its infancy and is learning to walk and for them to enter a market like New Zealand is something quite good. Look how well Great Wall is doing.

By the way, leave the Top Gear overdiscription to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I havnt spoken to the dealer about these issues.

KiwiGuy - Look at Daewoo, they started out bad and they are still bad! The cars and the brand are so unpopular that they are forced to rebadge them as something else in order to sell them at all.

You could be right however. But if this problem with Geely isnt delt with soon they will loose all credibility before they even begin. Once youve got a bad reputation it will stick. Just ask Skoda Auto, Skoda today build some of the worlds best made cars but thats not what the buying public percieve. They think the quality is as bad as it was when they first hit NZ.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's official-Geely will be introducing the EC-7 into New Zealand this year! This comes on top of news that Great Wall's first proper sedan will be the car model launched in New Zealand and Australia as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm quite interested in this car as it is both praticle and dirt cheap(for a first hand model). Just wondering where I could get some info on its warrenty?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could visit the Geely website at www.geely.co.nz or got to your local dealership which is in Greenlane (assuming it's open already).

However, I have some info on the warranty for you. It is a factory mechanical warrantly which lasts 3 years/100,000km.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry I posted on here but automator isn't letting me PM till I post 20 messages. Sure, I would like to see the warranty but I'm not too fussed about it as the Greenlane car-yard only sells 09, 5000Km models.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Panda is now on sale in New Zealand wearing the Gleagle badge for some reason. I'll see if I can get pics soon.

It hasn't been advertised on the official website yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts