China Car Forums banner

Geely in USA

40K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  mememe 
#1 ·
Geely will goto the US via Peurto Rico

im sure they will do good in P.rico..but not sure US... :confused: check this article from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109103

REPORT: Chinese Geely to Invade U.S. via Puerto Rican Test Market
Date posted: 01-31-2006

BEIJING — John Harmer, chief operating officer of Geely USA, told Automotive News that his company elected to use Puerto Rico as a launch pad for Geely's vehicles because the company would like "to do our consumer research [in a place] where the cars can't migrate away."

Geely cars will be distributed in Puerto Rico through Amerito Estrada, which has primarily handled Isuzu in the past. Harmer expects to sell 3,000 cars in Puerto Rico prior to bringing the company's vehicles to the U.S. market in 2008.

Harmer says the company will be signing up dealers after the 2007 Detroit Auto Show. Geely hopes to sell 100,000 cars in the United States by 2012.

What this means to you: It seemed like a good bet that Geely would slide into the United States through another North American inlet — our money was on Canada instead of Puerto Rico, though

See less See more
#2 ·
GEELY will do fine in PR and USA

i WAS AT THE CHICAGO AUTO SHOW AND RUMOR HAD IT THAT THEY THEIR STOCK IS GOING TO CLIMB TO 2$ BY YEARS END OF 2006 AND KEEP CLIMBING THE CLOSER THEY GET TO COMING IN COUNTRY.... WE WILL SEE 10-20$ A SHARE BY THE END OF 2007. tHIS IS A BET AUTO... PRICE TAG MAKES IT.. QUALITY SEEMS LIKE IT IS REALLY EXCELLING BEYOND THE BIG THREE'S

TICKER SYMBOL FOR GEELY IS GELYF :)

#4 ·
China's Geely Plans $7,500 Sticker, 2008 Launch for U.S.

DETROIT — Geely, the Chinese automaker that turned heads with its display at the North American International Auto Show here in January, is inching closer to a U.S. market launch.

Chief operating officer John Harmer told the Society of Automotive Analysts that the company plans to enter the market in the fall of 2008 — or sooner.

The company is targeting a $7,500 sticker price for its first U.S. product and hopes to sell about 5,000 copies of what he calls a "very, very basic" small car that would nevertheless meet U.S. regulations for safety and emissions. The company turned over 12 cars for U.S. testing last July and Geely plans to start by selling cars in Puerto Rico as a test market for several months.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109661

#5 ·
Geely hoping to launch in U.S. by fall 2008, U.S. COO says

2008 is in 1.5-2 years ....lets see

DETROIT -- Chinese automaker Geely wants to start selling cars in the United States by fall 2008, Geely USA Inc. COO John Harmer said Wednesday.

Harmer said his goal is for the car to have a sticker price of $10,000, not $7,500 as we reported earlier. In an earlier interview, Harmer said his sales goal for the first year is about 5,000 vehicles.

"It will be a basic, functional auto," Harmer said at a meeting of the Society of Automotive Analysts here.

#9 ·
I_Hate_China said:
LOL 7500$ STICKER....

americans arent stupid and gullible

these wont even come in 2008, maybe in 2080 lol
There must be plenty of Americans who have never been able to afford a new car - now a some of them can and some of those will buy. To reach the 5000 figure only needs tiny percentage of Americans to purchase.

As to when they arrive, I will believe it when it happens - there seem to be a lot of "stupid and gullible" American car dealers signing up to sell them!

#12 ·
Sorry to burst all your bubbles guys but you should lurk around american car forums more. No one is interested in chinese cars. :shrug: Over here in the states we like to live through car accidents... :D

Since I can't post links, some posts from bimmerforums.com members on the subject:

For the love of God, I would never purchase a Chinese car.

I wouldn't even buy a Chinese made BMW, Audi, or VW. I would pay the extra ~$10,000 to get one made in Germany.

Should I find the link to the Chinese made SUV that scored a "0" on crash test ratings? That's never been done before. Nobody has ever gotten a "0". In a 40mph head on collision, EVERYONE in the car would die. Compared to a VW SUV where you barely even get seatbelt burn.

Kia started out making much better products than these chinese manufacturers are. Now, Kia is actually doing pretty well. I am happy when I get to ride around in one of the Kia taxi cabs here. They are the "nice" ones. Although they do have some mercedes cabs in Shanghai. The VW cabs are old, and the Chinese ones just really suck ass (not to mention that they are just an EXACT copy of a VW, right down to the window control buttons.)
im chinese and i would never ever touch or buy a chinese car.. pos
As far as Chinese cars go, they are utter crap. Especially what is being put out by Geely and Chery.

Not to mention, a lot of Chinese manufacturers are into ripping off designs (and in some cases, entire vehicles) from other non-chinese manufacturers. It's not uncommon.

Some of these cars, namely Chery and Geely will be making the move to the US very soon. Clearly they will be offerred as extremely cheap vehicles (in terms of price, then again, the same can be said for quality).
You guys have a long way to in terms of safety, and by the looks of the track preformance of some of your cars, handling and power too. :nono:

#15 · (Edited)
look what hyundai and kia achieved

china will do better, since they have more means,, more cash, more resources etc
Actually Kia is not selling real Kias; they are just rebadged Hyundais.
Real Kia died in 1997; its scraps were sold to Hyundai, who is using Kia factories and sales network to move Hyundais.

9 Japanese companies tried to enter the US market and only 2 prospered(Toyota and Honda). Nissan's doing well but only after French takeover. Even Daihatsu, a Toyota company, withdrew.

3 Korean companies tried to enter the US market and only 1 prospered, and the other two(Kia and Daewoo) went bankrupt.

As you can see, success ratio is rather low, and only those with compelling product and a deep cash reserve to lose money in the US market for 10 years managed to take a root in the US market.

Hyundai was able to establish itself for one simple reason; it could draw tens of billions of dollars in R&D money from its parent company while it was still an underdog, and this was the deciding factor.

I just don't see tens of billions of dollars needed to build an R&D base flowing into Chery or Geely. Thus these two cannot really compete against established global players.

The last time a new brand successfully entered the US market was in 1985, all others since then failed.

hi fm., yes you say we have a long way to go!!

but chinese cars are expected to be in the US in 2 years

thats enough time to meet all those ratings..
Barely meeting crash test regulation is not good enough. There is another independent crash testing done by IIHS(Insurance Companies), and their testing is more severe. Cars that passed government testing will fail in IIHS crash test, as was the case with Ford Fusion(Mazda 6 chassis). Passing government crash test will make the vehicle legal to sell, but doing poorly on IIHS crash test means a jacked up insurance bill and bad rap in publications.

I am certain Cherys and Geelys will fail the IIHS crash tests.

PS. I am the real I_Hate_China. The person posting by I_Hate_China is Ash.

#16 ·
Geely chairman denies flunked test rumour

ZHEJIANG - Chinese carmaker Geely Automotive Holding denied reports that it delayed its ambitious plan to sell cars to the US market because it failed to pass vehicle tests.

"Our plan has not changed yet," said Geely Chairman Li Shufu, who owns 60 per cent of the company.

Geely has only conducted rollover tests so far in the US and has passed them, said Li. A rollover test is required by the US market to check vehicle safety.

Over the weekend, a Beijing-based newspaper quoted John Harmer, vice-president and chief operating officer of Geely-USA Inc, as saying the company failed to pass US emissions examination due to problems with Geely's engines.

"The report is groundless. We have not even begun this kind of test there," Li told China Daily.

But he said it is difficult to predict when Geely's vehicles will be shipped to the United States, as the company plans to conduct further market research and make vehicle improvements to suit the market demand.

In January, Geely estimated it would sell 25,000 cars in its first year in the United States.

Geely aims to raise its exports to two-thirds of its total production by 2015 when his company is expected to produce 2 million cars a year.

By then, Geely's market share in China will be around 10 per cent, said Li. The company hopes to also capture at least 2 per cent of the markets outside of China.

In addition to the US market, the company is also conducting market research in Europe for possible overseas opportunities.

Geely recently began exporting to countries in the Middle East and Africa.

Geely's first overseas assembly plant in Asia is expected to start operation soon in Malaysia.

Last May, Geely signed a deal with Malaysian manufacturers Information Gateway Corporation (IGC) to produce Geely vehicles in IGC's plant.

Geely hit a few obstacles before the Malaysian Government agreed to allow the carmaker to sell a "very small" portion of its vehicles in Malaysia.

The first Geely car to be produced in Malaysia will be the 1.6-litre Freedom Cruiser.

Two new models, larger than the Freedom Cruiser, will be introduced at the Malaysian plant later, according to Geely sources.

In Hong Kong, plans to establish an auto development and research centre and develop a new sedan series are going on smoothly, Li said.

Last year, the Zhejiang-based company, which entered the auto sector in 1997, sold more than 140,000 cars.

#17 · (Edited)
admin said:
hi fm., yes you say we have a long way to go!!

but chinese cars are expected to be in the US in 2 years

thats enough time to meet all those ratings..

and then bam...we are bigger than kia after 5 years...and then we compete directly with GM and honda and BMW's!:)
It will be 20 years before you can compete with bmw's... if that. I think the only car really shooting for the BMW mark and out for blood is lexus and they've been at it for 10 years and still fall far short. However, getting to the kia level is entirely possible. I think Chery may have a chance, but the 2008 goal is... optimistic.. especially considering what Chery wants for it's cars (in terms of price). All the other brands? No hope. :D

#20 ·
Very true. For example, Chery only produced its first car in 2000. That was SIX YEARS AGO! I mean, a 6 year old Honda wouldn't even be considered that old. But thinking about how far it has come in SIX years, that's crazy.

I personally think European cars like BMW and Benz are overrated anyways. They constantly have problems and engine failure. Japanese cars are FAR BETTER in quality any day.

#23 · (Edited)
edge said:
Very true. For example, Chery only produced its first car in 2000. That was SIX YEARS AGO! I mean, a 6 year old Honda wouldn't even be considered that old. But thinking about how far it has come in SIX years, that's crazy.

I personally think European cars like BMW and Benz are overrated anyways. They constantly have problems and engine failure. Japanese cars are FAR BETTER in quality any day.
The BMW inline six is arguably the best engine in the world. It can be beat to hell and still keep on chugging (or purring, imo) for 200,000 miles. BMW gets a bad reputation from it's 7 (and 6) series line up and it's v8 engines (reliability nightmares), but 3 and 5 series BMW's especially with the I6 are very reliable, and Japanese cars are losing their edge. A friend of mine is a tech for Lexus, and he'll tell you the only thing reliable about the car is people's propensity to believe the myth. They go in for electrical problems all the time, and their reliablity rating is plummeting.

I posted a poll on bimmerforums.com, just to get an idea of how many miles BMW's really last. 56.4% of people's daily drivers (i.e. not their broken down project cars in the garage) have over 100,000 miles on them and are still running strong. Even my 540i with the notorious V8 has over 135,000 miles on it and runs like new. All I've had to do so far was get new front tires (the tires were worn out when I got the car) replace a rubber hose in the heating system and replace a cracked serpentine belt (which was original).

#24 · (Edited)
Admin said:
Thats assuming these super fast growing and new companies stop improving and stay at the same point in their business development structure as they are now

dont forget these new companies are improving and growing at a exponential rate...things can change 50-100% in 1-2 years
And companies like BMW, Lexus, Chrysler, and Audi are all going to stay still and wait for chinese companies to catch up? Chinese companies not only have to improve, but they have to improve FASTER than all the companies I just listed. I seriously doubt that's possible in the long term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.