China Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I'm from Costa Rica and Geely has been around here for about a year and a half, and Geely's car customers are not happy, since Geely cars seem to be "bad" according to the general opinion.

Now, the company (a very reliable one, which also sells Mitsubishi here) that is selling Geely here, is selling Geely motorcycles and scooters. One of them caught my attention, the JL-150CC T-6

ttp://img193.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=48463_20071252136864837_1__122_157lo.jpg

So far I've met only three persons who own one and they don't tell any bad things mechanics related. People who have been telling bad things about them speak because of their experiences with the cars, but they haven't used the scooters.

Since these scooters are brand new around here I'm lacking more info about their reliability. By the way, the price is like us$400 lower than other brands. Does anyone have more info on them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Your absolutely right Romeovf. I was just suggesting that the folks you know might want to look for some goodwill extended by the company.

As for true feedback on the reliability, a while ago a search I made produced a good deal of online discussion among owners of the two wheelers. Some was negative as I recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Geely scooters are horrific, design and execution. A while back I did a QA Analysis Geely, Yumbo, Jialing,etc were all bad, multiple design flaws the most classic of all was using a plastic piece in their final drive, which would fail in short order with moderate to heavy loads. The primary engine was a GY6 design. Lifan was the best of breed but still below Kymco (Taiwanese), Tomos (Slovenia). My friend I would look at a used Honda/Suzuki or Kymco before considering a Geely

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wow is kymco really that good ? They are not that well known, well I dunno. (I heard people complained about Taiwanese bikes 5 years ago)

And I really never heard of Tomos before. How good are they ? Do they sell well ?

What about the Korean Hyosung or something like that ?

Honestly, I never knew that Geely makes scooters or motorbikes, and I am quite oblivious to those Chinese makes that you mentioned above, the only Chinese motorbikes maker I know is Lifan and so far I have seen two Lifans in London.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kymco is the best among the Taiwanese brands, good warranty and good reputation, are they a major player in the US... nope, Americans still prefer Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, even vespa/derbi could not make any headway on their relaunch despite their engines are superb. Tomos is a well established manufacturer, they have been in the US over 30 years. Tomos had some excellent bikes that never saw the US roads, they had a license to manufacture Norton Commando 850's that sold well in the eastern block countries. Tomos focuses on Moped production now, they also have some scooter operations in China. As an interesting aside Tomos is able to make their 2 cycle engines USDM compliant for emissions through the use of a novel Catalytic Converter. So in a way Tomos has stayed in the US when other Chinese and Indian(Puch/Avani) have been forced to leave our shores.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hyosung is good quality, still heavily based on Suzuki designs even though they have their own R&D. At a retail level they are about 10-30% less than offerings from their Japanese competition. But remember Honda's entry street bike the Nighthawk 250 is roughly 3K, and the 750 version is 4,000 USD so basically the same price as the Hyosung, the sport bike (where hyosung is trying to niche themselves) is dominated by Suzuki,Honda, Yamaha with Kawasaki's ninja being the value player. Hyosung faces a tough market, their dealer margin is better, but volume is much lower.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks, Newyork.

Does Kymco make sport bikes cos so far I only heard of Kymco scooters, cruisers and ATVs.

I know that Lifan does make sport bikes (or am I wrong ?)

Which Chinese makers withdrawn from the US ? cos so far I have not heard of any Chinese bike makers in the US (please correct me if I am wrong, thanks)

Isn't Puch Austrian ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes Kymco has the Venox motorcycle a cruiser, no sport bike designs as of yet, scooters are the bulk of their US business with a few ATV's in the mix. Kymco have a few more models on the drawing boards but the promise of a USDM streetbike has been unfufilled for a few years now.

Puch use to be Austrian when it was under the Steyr Daimler banner, its moped brand was sold off to an Indian firm over a decade ago.

Well there were countless Chinese marques selling 2 cycle mopeds, scooers, etc that were forced to leave the US due to the EPA emission standards imposed, Tomos added a Catalyst, and their engines were clean to begin with so they meet the new EPA standards. Baja Motorsports, Panterra were just two of the larger distributors in the US that sold street bikes. Pep-Boys carried a 250cc motorcycle in both sport and cruiser variants for the $1,000 price point in Q4 2007, I believe they were clearing their warehouse and raising cash. Panterra, Baja and others had a slew of personal injury claims due to, weak fork assemblies, poorly welded frames, weak swing arms, calipers failing (caliper mounts shearing off, sheared bolts, and in some cases locked calipers) Most of the problems stem from riding style, the US Importers promoted the bikes as a viable alternative to Honda and Suzuki's offerings well the Chinese bikes are not designed or built to be ridden by Jeremy McGrath, they are more along the lines of the old trail bikes once offered in the US market. Sundiro also offered some decent scooter offerings, they also had a legitimate tie in with Honda.

The other huge liability that the Chinese offered were these ridiculous things called mini bikes they took their inspiration from the Yamaha YSR50, well they look fun but lets be honest the average American is quite a bit larger than the average Chinese, so 250LB men were riding around on something the size of a preschoolers tricycle, the result was similar to having a meatball being thrown at a brick wall by a baseball player. Cities were having press conferences, and passing ordinances left and right since people would operate these NON-DOT compliant bikes on public roads.

The minibike craze, was running parallel with the moped, scooter, and motorcycle importation, people were hearing about all the problems, and even pep-boys who has a service center would not service the scooters/dirtbikes/atv's/motorcycles that they were selling then there was the poor quality, they would arrive RUSTY, I mean its a BRAND NEW fresh from the crate bike with RUST. Then the paint quality, some of them look like they were painted in the box, orange peel, runs and bubbles in the paint as if the wrong reducer was used. The welds were so inconsistent, it looked like something from a highschool shop class (first day) The welds did not penetrate (cold welds) they were ugly, the surface was not properly prepared.

Then the dealers, you had Dazon, Baron etc all promoting their product as superior, yet the dealers backrooms were filled with parts bikes. Most products were and are based on the GY 6 engine, some makers claiming superiority because of a Lifan engine, many of the importers were out for a quick buck selling super cheap chinese scooters to dealers with poorly built GY 6's having delivery to all their new dealers simultaneously, they sell, the reps restock super quick, then the customers have problems the factory puts them off, "parts are 6 weeks backordered, yet we have new bikes ready for delivery today" and when the dealers threatned the distributor en masse they simply folded the LLC, and formed a new company / brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts