China Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
So yours will be White with Beige interior, while ours will be Black with Beige interior. Once we get it in mid February, I will post some pictures. When do you plan to get yours? :) Also, I read somewhere that the 2.5TCI has the same or better diesel consumption than the 2.0VGT automatic? Is this about right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
China copied the U.S. law that requires carmakers to place a label on the car window with the fuel economy figures. I'm not sure how much I trust it. I need to stop by the dealer and look again - I don't quite remember the numbers. I think the 6-speed 2.0VGT was around 7.8L/100km, and the auto 2.0VGT's fuel economy much higher than I expected (with a modern 5-speed overdrive automatic), perhaps 8.8L/100km. And the H3 2.5TCI is 8.2L/100km? I'll confirm.

Traffic is TERRIBLE here. The morning drive is acceptable (though not as easy as 5 years go), but the evening drive home is horrible. I really wish they'd fix the 2.0VGT's reliability problems because the auto transmission would be very nice to have under these conditions. Or, make the Hyundai auto transmission available behind the 2.5TCi (although, that would mean they'd use the Borg-Warner TOD 4wd system since that's what the Hyundai auto is set up for, instead of the H3's traditional low range-equipped transfer case).

·
Registered
196 Posts
China copied the U.S. law that requires carmakers to place a label on the car window with the fuel economy figures. I'm not sure how much I trust it. I need to stop by the dealer and look again - I don't quite remember the numbers. I think the 6-speed 2.0VGT was around 7.8L/100km, and the auto 2.0VGT's fuel economy much higher than I expected (with a modern 5-speed overdrive automatic), perhaps 8.8L/100km. And the H3 2.5TCI is 8.2L/100km? I'll confirm.

Traffic is TERRIBLE here. The morning drive is acceptable (though not as easy as 5 years go), but the evening drive home is horrible. I really wish they'd fix the 2.0VGT's reliability problems because the auto transmission would be very nice to have under these conditions. Or, make the Hyundai auto transmission available behind the 2.5TCi (although, that would mean they'd use the Borg-Warner TOD 4wd system since that's what the Hyundai auto is set up for, instead of the H3's traditional low range-equipped transfer case).
interesting, thanks for the info

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mico, as a GW representative, I'd think you would know your product better. That label clearly states the transmission is "AT" (automatic transmission). This is not the fuel economy label for 6-speed manual transmission model as you state. If it was the 6-speed manual, the engine model would be GW4D20B rated at 100kW, not the listed GW4D20 rated at 110kW.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dieselhover, I was originally told wrong (by the dealer) that the 2.5TCi originated from Nissan. Actually GW acquired the turbocharged 2.8L 4JB1 engine design from Isuzu, forming the basis for the GW 2.8TC. Later they paid Bosch to update it, resulting in the higher performance 2.5TCi.

I think the Isuzu 4JB1-T (turbocharged) was introduced way back in 1987, but it's a proven engine. More important, I have to assume that it received significant re-engineering under Bosch's management to result in the 2.5TCi.

In the back of my mind, I've also been paying attention to the Kia Sorento with the 2.2L diesel. This new engine represents cutting edge technology. Fuel economy is impressive at 10.9L-highway, 6.8L-city, and 8.1L combined, considering the 1790kg curb weight. It's very spacious and it comes standard with many features (including low range 4wd). It's more money, but not that much more. And, this is a car built to last. You should be able to drive it 10+ years (Where will our H3/H5 be in 10 years). And, it has a fuel heater.

FYI, the cheaper Kia Sportage isn't available with the 2.0CRDi diesel in China. Otherwise, that would probably compete with the 2012 H5 in price, and no doubt the design and quality are better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chinesecars,
The Kia Sorento 2.2 Diesel is available here from the same dealer company, but in terms of looks vs. base price I prefer the Haval H3 2.5TCI for its features. I am confident this model of Hover will last more than 10K, in fact, that should be just the loose up time for its new condition, as I have read from other owners. Sure there maybe issues coming up early, but with the local 5 Year Warranty on engine and transmission, I don't expect any mayors, while crossing fingers :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
My friend, I didn't say 10K. I said 10 years.

Kia (and Hyundai) have improved very quickly. Their very latest models are very impressive looking, and the engine/transmission technology is now rivaling the Japanese brands.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I know you meant 10 years, I was just joking that would be like 10K for me here compared to what the hovers get driven in China :) but anyways I know Kia and Hyundai are very good now, I just like the Hover better in terms of size and price and the value you get for what you pay, that's all.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Mico, as a GW representative, I'd think you would know your product better. That label clearly states the transmission is "AT" (automatic transmission). This is not the fuel economy label for 6-speed manual transmission model as you state. If it was the 6-speed manual, the engine model would be GW4D20B rated at 100kW, not the listed GW4D20 rated at 110kW.
don't worry about my knowlegde about gw products :D, you will see many new models in upcoming three years, some of them are amazing and really good looking one :thumb:

i download photo from the autohome car portal and didn't notice AT label, but it's similar and only which was avalaible at photo gallery, personaly i don't thrust any labels or even ece certificates, because for such results engines are tested under lab-conditions

personaly i think that most important is the driver and how he drive the car, also you must take care about tire pressure, weather conditions and to make normal service of the car,for now i had experience with 2.8 tc and 2.5 tci engines, even in town conditions it did not spend over 10 liters of diesel fuel, on open road it was between 8 liters

also for us in europe hover diesel is still not avalaible as it will be replaced with new hover h6 version, only pick up is avalaible with diesel engine, however it's nice to see that great wall update it's model with ESP:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
From: http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Driven-GWMs-new-H5-diesel-20111124

"The 2.0 turbo-diesel engine is capable of 110kW at 4000rpm and 310Nm from 1800 to 2800rpm, drives through either a six-speed manual or five-speed auto and has a claimed fuel consumption seven litres/100km.

The engine, though technologically advanced, leaves a lot to be desired. The manual is stodgy, the auto adequate in terms of gear changes and the H5 presents driving characteristics that wouldn’t be out of place in a typical bakkie; a little harsh on the road, noisy engine and a general feeling that it’s built for the rough-and-tumble of farm life."

·
Registered
90 Posts
"it’s built for the rough-and-tumble of farm life."

"The H5...............the overall experience behind the wheel is underwhelming."

Not a glowing review. It seems the writer struggled to find anything good to say about it. Of course he was wrong on the power, the 6-speed manual's engine is only 100kW. The 5-speed manual is horribly notchy (stodgy as he puts it) in 1st and 2nd gears (a WW2 Willys MB Jeep shifts better).

I didn't think the 2.5TCi and 2.0VGT were very noisy (except perhaps, at highway cruising speeds). But the Toyota and Kia diesel SUVs probably do have lower interior noise levels.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Kia had had to work on their shifters for a long while, too, and many still find them unacceptable. I owned a 1999 Kia Sephia sedan and a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 and both had 5-speed standard transmissions. I found them both acceptable, though.

micodelija is right, how you drive, how you maintain and stay aware of your rig and what it needs is very, very important. I mean, sometimes you're just struck by a untimely recall or a technical service bulletin, but refinement takes time, and, like I said, some still don't feel like their shifters on their '12 Kia's are smooth enough. A poster on a Kia blogsite I go to all the time just bought a 2012 Kia Rio hatchback with a 5-speed and he said his 2011 Ford Fiesta shifts smoother than the new Rio. So there ya go. They may never get it right.

But what I'm saying is I still loved both my '99 Kia Sephia and my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. I took good care of them and they treated me right. They were built with solid powertrains and the build quality of the interior was forthright...it held up to my dog's abuse and daily grind of carrying things, never a tear anywhere. Loved my Kia's!

Great Wall and Hover will get better with time but I'll bet they're pretty close to decent right now, though. I'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I respect your thoughts. However, what is probably America's most professional car magazine, Car & Driver, has been very impressed with all the current Kia products including the shifting of their manual transmissions. No complaints (and they are a very particular bunch). I drove a manual Sportage here and thought the shiftability was fine (not a Honda, but few equal Honda's shiftability).

At any rate, I'm a customer. I'm not a guinea pig subject being paid to participate in an automobile experiment. GW needs to resolve refinement issues, within reason, before placing a vehicle on the market. It's not only in the best interest of the customer, but obviously also in the best interest of GW. They clearly launched 2.0VGT H5 before resolving all its issues. This regretable situation was self-inflicted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dieselhover, I stopped by the GW dealer this weekend. They still don’t know when the 2012 models will be available for order. GW has improved the plastic color of the H5 automatic’s shift knob, from a cheap looking silver to a nicer looking gray.

I also noticed that while the H3 and H5 “Extreme” have a full size rear spoiler over the rear window, the H5 “Euro” has a smaller (shorter) spoiler. I prefer the normal (full) size spoiler.

I saw the VERY rare 2.5TCi-equipped H5 "Euro". I’ve never seen one before. Most 2.5TCi’s go into H3s, and a few into the ugly H5 “Extreme”. The 2.5TCi H5 “Extreme” has an intercooler hood scoop (the intercooler is mounted on top of the engine like the H3). But the 2.5TCi-equipped H5 Euro is different, using the same intercooler behind the bumper as the 2.0VGT version (which is okay, but the engine compartment is more crowded than the H3, because of the intercooler piping going to and from the lower bumper area mounted intercooler).

Here’s the fuel economy listings, based on the trucks they had in stock.

H5 2.0VGT (100kW) 6MT 2wd 7.4L/100km
H5 2.0VGT (110kW) Auto 2wd 8.8L/100km
H5 2.5TCi 5MT 2wd 7.5L/100km
H3 2.5TCi 5MT 4wd 7.7L/100km
H5 2.0 (gas) 5MT 2wd 9.6L/100km
H5 2.4 (gas) 5MT 4wd 10.3L/100km

(They didn’t have a single 4wd H5 diesel in stock – very strange)

For comparison:
Kia Sportage 4wd 2.0CRDi 6-speed auto - 7.5L/100km
Kia Sorento 4wd 2.2CRDi 6-speed auto - 8.1L/100km

I can tolerate the 2.0VGT’s crooked oil fill tube on the valve cover. It’s because when Kia produced this engine, it was mounted transversely rather than in-line, slightly tilted back. So in the Kia, the oil fill tube would be straight, rather than crooked. However, GW’s inability to make even a small adaptation, such as this oil fill tube, when putting the Kia engine into the H5 proves how weak GW’s R&D capabilities are.

But I can’t accept GW’s inability to relocate the 2.0VGT’s oil filter. In the Kia, because the engine was transversely mounted, the oil filter was conveniently located in the front of the engine compartment. But in the H5, located on the right side of the truck due to the engine’s inline mounting, it is barely visible and nearly impossible to reach. It’s a mechanic’s worst nightmare. It is squeezed between the power steering pump and intercooler piping. You would have to remove the all the air cleaner piping, skin the knuckles on your hand, and spill oil all over the right side of the engine because there’s no space to flip over the filter. Any intelligent engineer would have chosen a remotely-mounted oil filter design.

An oil filter is the most commonly replaced item in a vehicle’s service history. For this obvious reason, global automakers make the oil filter easily accessible. BUT NOT GW. I prefer an in-line engine configuration. But when you take a transverse design engine and mount it in-line, many items need to be changed!

In contrast, the 2.5TCi’s oil filter located at the lower right side of the engine is VERY easy to reach. You can change it in 2 minutes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chisinecars,
I feel like my future H3 2.5TCi 5MT 4wd 7.7L/100km is one of the most, if not the best fuel efficient model GW has made based on features so far according to these numbers :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dieselhover, I stopped by the GW dealer this weekend. They still don’t know when the 2012 models will be available for order. GW has improved the plastic color of the H5 automatic’s shift knob, from a cheap looking silver to a nicer looking gray.

I also noticed that while the H3 and H5 “Extreme” have a full size rear spoiler over the rear window, the H5 “Euro” has a smaller (shorter) spoiler. I prefer the normal (full) size spoiler.

I saw the VERY rare 2.5TCi-equipped H5 "Euro". I’ve never seen one before. Most 2.5TCi’s go into H3s, and a few into the ugly H5 “Extreme”. The 2.5TCi H5 “Extreme” has an intercooler hood scoop (the intercooler is mounted on top of the engine like the H3). But the 2.5TCi-equipped H5 Euro is different, using the same intercooler behind the bumper as the 2.0VGT version (which is okay, but the engine compartment is more crowded than the H3, because of the intercooler piping going to and from the lower bumper area mounted intercooler).

Here’s the fuel economy listings, based on the trucks they had in stock.

H5 2.0VGT (100kW) 6MT 2wd 7.4L/100km
H5 2.0VGT (110kW) Auto 2wd 8.8L/100km
H5 2.5TCi 5MT 2wd 7.5L/100km
H3 2.5TCi 5MT 4wd 7.7L/100km
H5 2.4 (gas) 5MT 4wd 10.3L/100km

(They didn’t have a single 4wd H5 diesel in stock – very strange)

I can tolerate the 2.0VGT’s crooked oil fill tube on the valve cover. It’s because when Kia produced this engine, it was mounted transversely rather than in-line, slightly tilted back. So in the Kia, the oil fill tube would be straight, rather than crooked. However, GW’s inability to make even a small adaptation, such as this oil fill tube, when putting the Kia engine into the H5 proves how weak GW’s R&D capabilities are.

But I can’t accept GW’s inability to relocate the 2.0VGT’s oil filter. In the Kia, because the engine was transversely mounted, the oil filter was conveniently located in the front of the engine compartment. But in the H5, located on the right side of the truck due to the engine’s inline mounting, it is barely visible and nearly impossible to reach. It’s a mechanic’s worst nightmare. It is squeezed between the power steering pump and intercooler piping. You would have to remove the all the air cleaner piping, skin the knuckles on your hand, and spill oil all over the right side of the engine because there’s no space to flip over the filter. Any intelligent engineer would have chosen a remotely-mounted oil filter design.

An oil filter is the most commonly replaced item in a vehicle’s service history. For this obvious reason, global automakers make the oil filter easily accessible. BUT NOT GW. I prefer an in-line engine configuration. But when you take a transverse design engine and mount it in-line, many items need to be changed!

In contrast, the 2.5TCi’s oil filter located at the lower right side of the engine is VERY easy to reach. You can change it in 2 minutes.
Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1122/?rtype=10

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like how the H3's grille is attached to the hood. From an engine servicing perspective, when you open the hood, the engine compartment is more open with the grille out of the way.

I'm very disappointed with GW. As much as I like the H3, I admit that its frontal styling is beginning to look old. This is true.

The H5 Euro with AWD (Borg-Warner TOD) and a reasonable new style appearance was GW's chance to get into the high volume city SUV market. But it seems at every step of the design process, they took shortcuts which led to an embarassingly bad result. In its current form of refinement, the H5 is more like an advanced prototype than a production model. They spent a lot of money to acquire the 2.0VGT from Kia, but because of the truck's lack of refinement and reliability issues, sales are poor. Most customers here buy the 2.0 and 2.4 gasoline models because they are afraid of the 2.0VGT. If they buy diesel, they buy the H3/2.5TCi.

Why can't they also offer the Hyundai 5-speed auto with the 2.5TCi and 2.4 Mitsubishi gas in all H3 and H5 models. They only need to design 2 more flywheel housings. All the SUVs here (except the old Nissan Paladin) are offering automatic transmissions now. GW is cutting their sales potential in half because they don't offer an automatic.

This weekend was the first time I ever saw an H5 Euro with the 2.5TCi. But the engine compartment seemed "crowded", unlike the H3. Because they build very few of this version, I'd be scared about the build quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny, maybe in China, but here the H3 front is not boring here yet :) Also, local dealer says they sold 3 of the H3 2.5TCIs but I have only seen 2.4 Gas so far... Maybe they are all crawling along the country off-roads and not in the city :)

261 - 280 of 351 Posts