China Car Forums banner
281 - 300 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like diesel, but in China, the car buyers are afraid of them because of the country's reputation for poor diesel quality (high sulfur content, 500 to 2000ppm). Also, like other countries, they don't like the loud sound and smell (of course the newer diesels have largely solved those problems).

Of course the commercial trucks in China are diesel. Fortunately, the diesel quality situation is changing now. Because China's commercial trucks are switching to Euro-4, the country is being forced to finally improve the fuel quality, which will benefit the diesel cars and SUVs. Volkswagen has sold 1.9L Jetta diesel taxis here for years. The drivers learned, if they add a bottle of Volkswagen brand diesel additive every 2500km, their engines are okay. I plan to do the same (even with the improving fuel quality).

At the dealer, I was looking at a new H3 2.5TCi parked next to an H5 2.0VGT. I reluctantly must admit, the H3's frontal styling was fresh in 2005, but is becoming tired looking 8 years later as we approach 2012. But I'm not saying the H5's frontal appearance is great. It's just okay.

The real question is, when will GW design a replacement for the H3/H5 range? Who will they oursource the design work to? Hopefully a reputable global design team (GW doesn't have the ability to design an "all-new" SUV by themselves).

The H3/H5 chassis is an old obsolete copy of the second generation Toyota 4-Runner's chassis (1989-1995). The body is a copy of the Isuzu Axiom (only produced from 2002 thru 2004 due to terrible sales, it was based on the Isuzu ZXS concept from the 1999 Tokyo Int'l Motor Show). The H3/H5's outdated body and chassis are proving to not be adaptable to the powertrains and customer demands of today. When you consider the high-spec 2012 H5 has a USD $27,000 price tag, these are real issues.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The operating conditions in China are what most global carmakers call "severe", because of the dust and fuel quality. So I change my engine oil and filter, engine air filter, fuel filter and air conditioning intake air filter every 5,000 km. I'm sure the costs of these spare parts, 2.5TCi vs 2.0VGT is close. (plus, I add a bottle of fuel additive every 2,500km)

I drove a new 2.2 CRDi Sorento last weekend. Very impressive. Plenty of power.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I read that too. The only problem I saw was on the front door panels. I thought the flat panel which has the window control switches looked very cheap. It was obvious in the beige color, but not as bad looking in the black interior. The rest of the car's architecture and fit & finish was fine. I really liked the huge amount of stowage under the rear lift-up floor cover (the spare tire is outside the car, under the rear like the H5). The diesel Sorento was very quick with no noticeable turbo lag (a properly designed VGT powertrain), and was reasonably quiet.

In China and the US, Kia seems to be priced competitively, similar to the Honda CRV. But in the UK and elsewhere, apparently it has a high price.

I've looked at the CRV too. The interior design and refinement is certainly the envy of every global carmaker. Everything is located exactly where it should be. You have to respect Honda. And if I buy the gas CRV (the diesel CRV isn't available here), I don't need to add diesel anti-gel fuel additive all winter. That's a cost savings.

I asked the 4S dealer again about any news on the 2012 model launch. They still haven't heard anything. I sat in a high-end 2wd H5. The leather seats "looked" very nice, but the seat bottom was very hard. Very poor cushioning. Any journey over one hour could be uncomfortable.

If I could import it to China, I'd love to have a 4-door Jeep Wrangler conversion by AEC (with Jeep's European market 2.8L CRDi diesel engine).

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk_wrangler.php

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·

here it is...after 5 month usage, first 50.000 km with new hover h5 :thumb::eek:
i make two services, oil + filter and spark plugs, also just two week before i replace front and rear brake pads, now i must make a service of GPL installation and put new winter tires

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I drove the H3 2.5TCi, well, its hard to say. You really need to drive a car for a week to get a feeling for it. When I drove the H3, the first thing I noticed was the transmission's horrible synchronizers in 1st and 2nd gear. Of course I was paying a lot of attention to engine performance (acceleration), which was very good. So all this distracted me from the seats. Plus, I was listening for squeaks and rattles (didn't hear any but my wife and the salesman were talking), trying to feel the suspension's handling characteristics (seemed reasonable). The leather seats in the H5 last weekend reminded me of the earlier Korean cars with thinner hard cushions. Hard seat cushions of course don't help to dampen the ride over bumps on city streets, and cause your bottom to go to sleep due to lack of blood flow over long highway journeys.

I live in north China where our winters include lots of snow and ice. However, 90 percent of the H3s and H5s at the dealer last weekend were 2wd (why but a 2wd SUV?). The cheap people buy the H3 2.0L gas, and the big spenders buy the H3 2.4L gas (the 2.4L is actually more economical than the 2.0L). In recent months, I rarely see any H3 2.5TCi's (it's easy to spot the hood scoop). I also don't see many H5s (Euro or Extreme), and if I do, it usually has a 2.4L gas engine (so I don't bother asking them about their ownership experience, since I'm only interested in the diesel models).

China's car sales are slowing down fast, and the Chinese carmakers are feeling it (the global brands will be the last here to see sales fall).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice mark micodelija.

I dont drive as much as you my old h3 2.8 diesel is still 70.000 kms going strong.

so far the local record is for a wingle 2.8 tc with over 130.000 kms

As for smaller units one peri with 60.000 kms.

so far no major repairs in this cars

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dieselhover, I had some time this weekend to stop by the Great Wall store and evaluate the front seating. The low-spec of course is cloth. The mid-spec is perforated synthetic leather, and the high-spec is leather without any perforations (small breathing holes). Usually, for example the Kia Sportage, the mid-spec has cheaper quality leather without perforations, and the high-spec has better quality leather with the perforations. The perforations (small holes) allow the bottom seat cushion to breath for a more comfortable (cooler) seating experience. Leave it to GW to do things backwards.

It’s odd that the mid-spec has the much better looking perforated leather seating. BUT, there’s another problem. Only the high-spec truck has a power-adjustable driver’s seat which allows you to tilt the bottom cushion. And note, GW did it the cheap way. Only the rear of the seat adjusts up and down. The front of the seat cushion only pivots (On most power seats, the front and rear adjust up and down, so you can adjust seat height, and then adjust the angle. But not the H5’s power adjustable driver’s seat.

Anyway, the problem I noticed is, I feel the bottom seat cushion angle of the non-adjustable mid-spec perforated leather seating is too low at the rear. I felt like I was sitting in a hole. It hurt my back. Tolerable for a short drive, but it would definitely hurt my back over a longer journey. With the not-as-good-looking but power adjustable high-spec leather seat, I could at least adjust the bottom cushion seat angle (raise the rear) and achieve a comfortable position.

The bottom seat cushion padding for all trim levels is rather hard. There simply isn't much "cushioning". Let's call it a "lack of refinement". This was accepted 15 years ago, but not today. I recall some Korean cars 8-10 years ago had hard seats (compared to US and Japanese brands).

The rear seating, like the Nissan Paladin (Xterra) is a knees-in-you-face situation because they didn’t design a footwell (recessed left and right flooring for your feet) for the rear seat passengers. You feel like your almost sitting on the floor with your knees in your face (not comfortable, tolerable for short rides only). Most SUVs nowadays have footwells for the rear passengers, for a more natural and comfortable seating position.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chinesecars,
Thanks for the update on the seats. I saw what you describe on the H5 when I was at the local dealer. The H3 looked more comfortable than the H5, and I am hoping the super luxury offers the best option. Anyways, thank you for the info :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Nice mark micodelija.

I dont drive as much as you my old h3 2.8 diesel is still 70.000 kms going strong.

so far the local record is for a wingle 2.8 tc with over 130.000 kms

As for smaller units one peri with 60.000 kms.

so far no major repairs in this cars
i have here several cars with over 100.000 km, mainly without problems...such small warranty repairs that i can really be satisfied :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I forgot to tell you, the 2012 H5 "Euro" model are available for order now. They don't have any trucks, only a poster with information about them. No big changes, but some of the changes are nice.

http://news.cheshi.com/20111205/460059.shtml

I'm undecided about the meaningless new chrome trim on the front bumper. In a way, it looks tacky, rather than tasteful and refined.

The H5 Euro's rear spoiler is larger (it was too small, much shorter than the other H3/H5 versions)

The Bosch-style bracketless wiper blades will be appreciated.

One can only hope the electric motors within the new retractable mirrors are good quality.

The chrome trim ring around the speaker bezel in the rear side doors has no special meaning to me.

The Volkswagen-style flip-out key is convenient, IF the quality is good.

The wood-grain door trim might look nice with the beige interior, if the quality is good. (I might suggest brushed aluminim trim for black interiors)

Also, GW has a promotion now on the H5. Euro 836 (US$1101) off the suggested retail price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Self-locking dif

I welcome all participants of the forum!
My name is Ivan, I'm from Moscow.
Recently acquired Hover 2,0 TD AT. In 2010 I had a Hover H2 4G64. Unfortunately, it was stolen.
I decided to ask here on your forum: Do we know that a self-locking differentials in the 2,0 TD AT? Whether coming from China these cars? We have yet no one knows anything. We only know that the differential differs from the gasoline version of the H5.

Who cares - the report on our trip to the Mediterranean in 2010 ... In Russian :)
http://web.me.com/ivan.ostrovski/Travels

·
Registered
8 Posts
I welcome all participants of the forum!
My name is Ivan, I'm from Moscow. Recently acquired Hover 2,0 TD AT. In 2010 I had a Hover H2 4G64. Unfortunately, it was stolen.
I decided to ask here on your forum: Do we know that a self-locking differentials in the 2,0 TD AT? Whether coming from China these cars? We have yet no one knows anything. We only know that the differential differs from the gasoline version of the H5.

Who cares - the report on our trip to the Mediterranean in 2010 ... In Russian :)
http://web.me.com/ivan.ostrovski/Travels

281 - 300 of 353 Posts