China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I've been all over Great Wall since it was first revealed that they would be launching here. Good thing is, it's school holidays down here which mean loads of spare time so I can get down to my Great Wall dealer and get some pics.
Official website: www.greatwallauto.co.nz

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got to see the V240 (Wingle) and SA220 (Sailor) up close and personal today at the local dealership. I quite like the V240 because it looks like no other ute on the market. Also, many other utes don't have leather appointed seats in a ute under $30k. Interestingly enough, there wasn't any suggestion to say that the ute had arrived, rather there were some posters and a single V240 in the showroom plus another V240 outside and an SA220. Is it just me or they really don't seem that excited or happy to show the utes off.
BTW Chinese quality cocerns I think aren't that bigger deal. I saw the interior and they are no worse than any other vehicle on the road (in this country at least).

·
Registered
94 Posts
from the pictures it looks just as horrible and roughly built as holden rodeo/colorado or isuzu d-max

the d-max has a slightly better interior with EL guages and slightly more modern fittings but they all clearly look like the partying like it's 1999

·
Registered
938 Posts
they are really nice, great wall now must enter only one market to have selling in whole world, united states and canada

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would be a bit opportunistic to enter the US and Canadian markets with these utes. I think Great Wall might have to wait a few years before doing so.
Still, nothing wrong with them here. I read rumours that the Australian dealers were running out of stock because they were selling so fast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think the V240 has a good chance in American... problem is they love big petrol engines over there and I don't think the Chevy Colorado is a good seller either (too small for americans?)

to be in with a chance they need a 4.0 litre v6 and say a 4.7 litre v8 with decent technology like MPFI and even quad cam 32 valves

in australia we get the 3.2 or 3.5 litre v6 and it's underpowered IMO

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think that those engines can be a plus for a great wall at american market because everybody else offer only "big block" engines, I am sure that you all know story with honda civic when this car enter US market, 4 cyl, small power but low fuel consuption and american cusomer like it, maybe this is a chance for gwm in this time of global financial chrisis to make a good result at US,great wall is developing the new 3.0 v6 engine with 220 HP, so maybe it will be used for us market, still there i don't have any confirmation from gwm about that

for australia and new zelands, i know that people there love big suv, jeeps and pick up's, but i am sure that people there also take care about their money and I am really doubt that some car have cheaper maintance then great wall, sample here in Croatia, service for nissan, mitsubishi, isuzu or other is over 50% higher then for gwm and this is also very important when cuustomers are deciding to buy a new vehicle

·
Registered
94 Posts
people who buy these big trucks like to show off... actually there's a story in the newspapers where most of the builders and professional tradesman actually buy vans or the 2wd car type utes like the Ford Falcon and Commodore

in fact one of the biggest sellers in australia is the $50k SS ute and the Falcon XR6 utes

these are a 6.0 litre GM LS3 250kW/330hp V8 or a 5.4 litre Ford V8 or a 245kW 4.0 litre turbocharged DOHC 24v straight six

obviously these are very very fast trucks... but since we pay about $1.20 for petrol and we are a relatively rich nation we don't care

the reviews of the Isuzu trucks are mixed - the tray is too small and the back seat is too small

if you wanna see try www.isuzuute.com.au

They start at $35k.

these are the best of the Isuzu ute we get here. If you wanna spend a lot more you can buy a Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi Triton but these are into the $50,000 range.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dad sells concrete products and does business in a 2002 Toyota Caldina station wagon. He previously drove a brand new 2005 Mazda Bounty Turbo with only 2WD (dangerous when wet and fun when dry. Could do skids at 20km/h) and a slelection of other utes. I tried to talk him into buting one and it nearly succeeded. Still, I think V240 is a good ute for price because it is just like a Holden Colorado/Isuzu D-Max. Same safety rating, similar interior etc.
Most builders, tradesmen and farmers pick the Toyota Hilux even though baseline models are on the wrong side of $45k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like the Hover H3 will be sold in NZ as the X240. The article mentions 274 units sold in July but didn't specify if that is Aus or NZ or both. :confused:

I don't have enough post count to post URLs so include w w w. :noway:

nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10592955

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect they will sell the X240 in both countries, considering that Great Wall models are the same both in New Zealand and Australia.
I heard that the small car would be the Florid. Any news on that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You Kiwi's get the warning triangle? See here the AUSSIE section:-

Observation; the lights on the rear bumper of the V240 are functional rear fogs; not to be rewired by DIY'ers as 'extra' brake lights, in AUS and NZ - a defect to do so as you then have two quite distinct levels of brake-light brightness! For use in hideous weather conditions only, in Germany enforced for 50m< or less visibility only, in GB 100m<

The V220 ute in AUS also has rear fogs complete with P21watt bulbs BUT NO activating switch!

Location is both sides, lower RED lamp compartment of the body-mount taillight assembly, that also combines a red reflex reflector function. Top red compartment of these taillight assemblies is the regular TAIL/STOP function.

A switch to legally enable operation of the V220 rear fogs is easily sourced if needed.

I'd bet a move to standardise the lamp function down the track in any case. NSW is pushing to mandate the function here in AUS, with a police enforcement program.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
X240 now sold in New Zealand. Prices I think will be similar to the ones in Australia. Now we wait for either the Florid or the Peri.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Kiwi, do u know how may GWM dealers there are in NZ so far? and how is the general consensus on GWM products down there?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are six dealerships nationwide. There are three in the North Island and three in the South Island. The sales are better than expected but I don't know anyone who owns one so I cannot really tell you.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went out into town today and I thought I would visit the local Great Wall dealership which is run by a Mitsubishi dealership called Houston Motors. Here's some pictures I took with my brand new camera.

Dealership
[/URL][/IMG]

V240
[/URL][/IMG]

Interior (sorry for bad quality)
[/URL][/IMG]

SA220
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts