China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's insane if true. Nanjing could have made it for both China and the UK. Brilliance won't have the dealers to do it.

On the otherhand it could be that it simply doesn't fit Nanjing's vision for MG...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Puppetland said:
mgrovernut said:
That's insane if true. Nanjing could have made it for both China and the UKQUOTE]

Why would they want to relaunch a car that bombed in the first place?
Please can you provide a source for saying it bombed? In actual fact you will find that PwC, the administrators did not initially wind up MG Sport and Racing the simple reason that the MG SV was making a profit! It was only wound up when the technology and MG brand were handed over to Nanjing. Will it reapear? Who knows? But if your in the market for a TVR type car then your better off with the SV because it doesn't fall apart like a TVR...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrong.

It started life as a Qvale, the Qvale Mangusta.

Although the Peter Stevens' designed SV is unrecognisable from that car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seamaster said:
Wrong.

It started life as a Qvale, the Qvale Mangusta.

Although the Peter Stevens' designed SV is unrecognisable from that car.
And Qvale started life as a deTomaso.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hudson said:
Thats not much different to saying that a BMW 3 Series started life as an Austin 7 :rolleyes: Actually that would be closer, both bodies are made of steel in that case!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hudson said:
And DeTomaso started life as a chariot in Ben Hur. How far back do you want to go?

What a stroker.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Windy said:
Thats not much different to saying that a BMW 3 Series started life as an Austin 7 :rolleyes: Actually that would be closer, both bodies are made of steel in that case!
Seamaster said:
And DeTomaso started life as a chariot in Ben Hur. How far back do you want to go?

What a stroker.
Do you people know about this car at all? DeTomaso and Qvale worked together on the recent Mangusta (a name dating back to an earlier deTomaso model). When the vehicle went into production, it was initially sold in the US as a Qvale and in Europe as a deTomaso, who was producing the vehicle. After a lawsuit, Qvale acquired the plant and the vehicle.

MG Rover acquired the bankrupt Qvale operation and the vehicle that went with it. The car was rebodied to become the MG SV.

Don't call me names unless you can prove me wrong, which you can't.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't know much about the history of it.

But then that goes for the Roewe 750 too.
It was and always be an Rover 75.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hudson said:
Do you people know about this car at all? DeTomaso and Qvale worked together on the recent Mangusta (a name dating back to an earlier deTomaso model). When the vehicle went into production, it was initially sold in the US as a Qvale and in Europe as a deTomaso, who was producing the vehicle. After a lawsuit, Qvale acquired the plant and the vehicle.

MG Rover acquired the bankrupt Qvale operation and the vehicle that went with it. The car was rebodied to become the MG SV.

Don't call me names unless you can prove me wrong, which you can't.
Mangusta:

MG SV:

Having seen a few MG SV, I was a little shocked when I saw a Mangusta, they are nothing like each other, even appear to be completely different sizes!

The only thing they have in common is the design of the chassis, and remember the chassis is seperate to the body in this car so different body, different engine, different transmission, different suspension, different interior...

(Remember that BMW's first car was a copy of the Austin 7 built under license.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mg-zs said:
To me those are 2 different cars.
Well of course they are. Even Dudson can see that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seamaster said:
Well of course they are. Even Dudson can see that.
I'm trying to be nice, but you guys aren't making that easy.

http://www.mgsv-club.co.uk/images/0504 Octane MG SV-R pg81.jpg

Please note where they discuss how the MG has lost weight "since its Magusta days."

Also the two cars (MG and Qvale/deTomaso) ride on the exact same wheelbase, which would give a clue that they're on the same chassis (which they are).

They also use THE SAME (Ford DOHC 4.6L V8) powertrain, with the MG offering a bored out (5.0L) version of the same Ford engine.

Lastly, I already stated that the car was restyled as an MG. Having said all that, the MG is DIRECTLY related to the Qvale/deTomaso Mangusta...quite unlike the Austin 7 and BMW 3-Series.

·
Registered
186 Posts
But the latest models of Mg inc the Zed family are all based on another car.
Mg just make them much better .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts