China Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traded in my old car ('98 BMW 540iA) for a 2008 Mini Cooper S. I custom ordered it and picked it up in October. It's incredibly fun to drive, quite fast, and it gets 35 mpg*. Sorry about the picture quality, there are cell phone pics.

Picking it up at the dealer:







Random pic from my work parking lot.



I going to pick up the turbo chip for my car when it comes out in a couple months, and I'm saving up for the JCW suspension kit. That should give the car 227 horsepower and 262 ft-lbs of torque (up from 177 and 192) and allow it to pull 0.93g's on the skidpad (up from 0.89g).

*Yes, I know that doesn't sound like much, but that's very good here in the States. People will buy badly built, tragically slow, hyped up junk like the Prius just because they are so awed that it gets a whole 40 mpg, as if that's some kind of world record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Nice wheels Lumi, best of luck with it.......
I was able to squeeze 55 mpg out of a Prius on the highway, but you are right...... it's not there when you punch the pedal. It's gonna take awhile for the electric motor torque to catch up with that of the ICEs.
Welcome back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dragin said:
Nice wheels Lumi, best of luck with it.......
I was able to squeeze 55 mpg out of a Prius on the highway, but you are right...... it's not there when you punch the pedal. It's gonna take awhile for the electric motor torque to catch up with that of the ICEs.
Welcome back.
55 mpg? That's pretty good.

Actually, I think they are developing some pretty powerful electric motors now... I think someone made a 650 hp electric Mini Cooper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
In the movie 'Italian Job' the City of Los Angeles made the producers of that film come up with electric motors for the Mini-Coopers in there because they needed to take them underground. City of L.A. said uh-uh to that. And so they did...they didn't disclose hp produced by their impromptu Mini-motors though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Congrats on the Mini! Love that car - could never justified it to get 1 tho...
The Prius is a mid-sized car that can get 25% better mpg than the Mini - I say that's a truly amazing feat; did I mention it uses regular unleaded gas and is cleaner in emissions too?
Still not impressed - well, the next time you need to transport more than 3 adults in your car, or when premium gas price goes over $5/gallon, you may just change your mind... (but yeah, you're right, it's truly ugly - I'd not get one myself)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BringIt said:
Congrats on the Mini! Love that car - could never justified it to get 1 tho...
The Prius is a mid-sized car that can get 25% better mpg than the Mini - I say that's a truly amazing feat; did I mention it uses regular unleaded gas and is cleaner in emissions too?
Still not impressed - well, the next time you need to transport more than 3 adults in your car, or when premium gas price goes over $5/gallon, you may just change your mind... (but yeah, you're right, it's truly ugly - I'd not get one myself)
Thanks!

I got the Cooper S because I wanted a bit more speed at the sacrifice of mileage, and I DON'T want people in my back seat. Two particular friends of mine have been deadbeats in the past when it comes to gas money, so I need an excuse to not give them rides. :D

However, the Mini product line really does beat the Prius in every way, the Mini Cooper D gets better mileage, is faster, AND has cleaner emissions than the Prius. The Mini Cooper One gets also gets better mileage than the Prius, and the regular Mini Cooper gets about the same mileage as the Prius with a bigger engine. None of the Mini Cooper line are hybrids (although there is some rumbling over at BMW of making a Mini hybrid). The Volkswagon Polo TDI also beats the Prius in gas mileage, and ties with it in emissions; all for a cheaper price and with better build quality. Unfortunately, it is only offered in the UK (like the Cooper D and the Cooper One).

I understand people's desire to get great mileage, save money, and feel good about not damaging the environment, but the Prius isn't the car to do it in. Europe has been building small, fuel efficient cars for years now, and if we are serious about substance over image, those of us here in America should get on board. Toyota's hybrid system is just too heavy, too expensive, and too inefficient to create anything more than politically correct benefits. The real gas/money/environment savers are the small (often diesel) European hatchbacks and sedans that have been hiding for years on the back lots of American car dealers, unsold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Um, none of the cars you mentioned are available in California, let along US... So you can't compare them. They're apples and oranges. (Plus, I highly doubt your claim that they are cheaper and cleaner. Diesels in Europe can't yet meet CA emission rules, and cars are EXTREMELY expensive in UK, I know cuz I'm in UK right now! And did I mention these cars are tiny sub-compacts vs a mid-sized Prius?)

Though I absolutely agree with you that the Prius is not the ultimate solution, but as it stands, the Prius is the most fuel efficient, cleanest all around vehicle available to the American consumers, period. So if one's goal is to have a vehicle that serves the needs of most families while providing the best mpg and lowest emissions, the Prius is the best choice. And at a low $20K, which is below the average new car transaction price these days (I think around $27K) it's really NOT expensive at all.
Again, I wouldn't buy one because like you, I value performance and style over a little savings in fuel and emissions. But that's beside the point. (I'd buy a stripped down Civic before I'd consider a Prius. It makes more sense from a value stand point.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
BringIt said:
Um, none of the cars you mentioned are available in California, let along US... So you can't compare them. They're apples and oranges. (Plus, I highly doubt your claim that they are cheaper and cleaner. Diesels in Europe can't yet meet CA emission rules, and cars are EXTREMELY expensive in UK, I know cuz I'm in UK right now! And did I mention these cars are tiny sub-compacts vs a mid-sized Prius?)

Though I absolutely agree with you that the Prius is not the ultimate solution, but as it stands, the Prius is the most fuel efficient, cleanest all around vehicle available to the American consumers, period. So if one's goal is to have a vehicle that serves the needs of most families while providing the best mpg and lowest emissions, the Prius is the best choice. And at a low $20K, which is below the average new car transaction price these days (I think around $27K) it's really NOT expensive at all.
Again, I wouldn't buy one because like you, I value performance and style over a little savings in fuel and emissions. But that's beside the point. (I'd buy a stripped down Civic before I'd consider a Prius. It makes more sense from a value stand point.)
The Volkswagon Polo Blue Motion (Diesel) scores a 99 on the UK's CO2 emissions test, while the Prius scores 104, making the Polo cleaner than the Prius. The Mini Cooper D scores a 104, which is the same as the Prius. Both the Cooper D and Polo have better gas mileage than the Prius. All cars are ridiculously expensive in the UK because of their car taxes, but even given that, the Cooper D and Polo are cheaper than the Prius.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

You are correct, they don't offer the cars in California, but that's only because California doesn't really care anything about clean air. European diesels are not the dirty, polluting cars that their predecessors were, but are some of the cleanest, most efficient cars in the world. Our nut case, backward, socialist, big-brother government is stuck in the 1970's, and refuses to approve the extremely clean diesel cars Europe is producing these days, because it's more important for California to put on a show about caring for the environment than actually implementing real policies to make the air cleaner.

Ultimately, it's not that Prius is all that bad, it just isn't very good, and it's not worth the religious worship that a lot of people give it as "savior of the planet". There are better things out there, but we here in the United States fail to see them because we are blinded by the Prius.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top